• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my future powder horn,I think the old girl wants to keep it for a few more years.🌝 Not sure I'll let her keep my powder horn much longer,when I work calves next spring I might just have to get her in headgate so we can discuss her horns☺️

Attachments

• KIMG0675.JPG
    KIMG0675.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I found my future powder horn,I think the old girl wants to keep it for a few more years.🌝 Not sure I'll let her keep my powder horn much longer,when I work calves next spring I might just have to get her in headgate so we can discuss her horns☺️
😆 That's a good one Old Grunt! I got the same idea when I sprung this lad on the block last weekend. The station owner said they have three young Texas Longhorns wandering around among the Brahmans, just to keep the place interesting. Horn envy for sure. One of these should keep a scrimshaw happy for a week or two; mind, the cost to fill one with FFG here in Australia would be exorbitant.

Pete

Horn Envy.JPG

😆 That's a good one Old Grunt! I got the same idea when I sprung this lad on the block last weekend. The station owner said they have three young Texas Longhorns wandering around among the Brahmans, just to keep the place interesting. Horn envy for sure. One of these should keep a scrimshaw happy for a week or two; mind, the cost to fill one with FFG here in Australia would be exorbitant.

Pete

View attachment 271603
Mead horns Pete! Mead horns!

My wife's Renegade had a so called "clean out" screw or bolster screw come out and get lost while shooting a while back. I don't ever mess with those in any of my rifles so I thought it had just come loose over time and flew out. I replaced it but recently noticed that water was spraying out around it when cleaning it and realized that the threads in the bolster were stripped out pretty bad. Glad I noticed, probably would've had another fly out and somebody could've been hurt. So today I took it over to my sister's Thanksgiving gathering and with my dad's guidance, tapped it from an 8-32 to a 10-32. Put the new screw in and it's nice and tight! I probably should've learned how to use a tap and die set well before I turned 40 but better late than never I guess!

Actually those are called clean out screws but that is not why they are there. The hole is there when the bolster was drilled out to make the flash channel into the breech. The screw was used to plug the hole and not meant to be removed continuously for cleaning. That info was obtained from Deer Creek after a friend of mine had one blow out at the range, causing a minor injury to the shooter in the station to his right. I also had a CVA that the clean out hole had to be drilled and tappet to a larger screw, causing the nipple threads to not have enough thread depth and the nipple blew out. I made a thread about that rifle. Here is a link to that thread.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/cva-50-hawken-nipple-blow-out.96611/
Edit to add link

Last edited:
Raised the 1858 barrel & cylinder from the Evaporust bath - again - and re-wire wheeled them as well.

Let's just say that first coat of rust bluing solution didn't work out exactly as planned... Oh well; will endeavor to degrease a bit better & git back on it this weekend.

@aussie pete I think I'd take a bit of pleasure sawing those horns off,few years ago when she was first calf heifer,she had calf under cedar tree at bottom of ditch,I walked down to check on and work calf and that little heifer looked like she was 10 foot tall coming down that ditch bank horns down,we went round and round that tree for seamed like hours,probably just minute or two, she finally stopped and stood over calf,thank God she stopped, my old hindend didnt have many more laps left LOL thats when I decided I'm to dang old to tag and castrate calves by myself out in pasture. ☺️

Back