• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a little time breaking rocks today. Got some workable flints out of it. I'm starting to get a collection. They aren't the prettiest, but they all spark nice and make the gun go bang. During research on flint making, I discovered that the style I'm doing is called a "spall" flint, which preceded the French style that the English adopted. The only real flint I've found here'bouts was a golfball sized piece that was in the driveway gravel. It was the real deal and I ended up with three spalls from that piece that will clamp up in the lock and throw great sparks. Wish I had a dump truck load of that!

Flints 30Nov23.jpg

Spent a little time breaking rocks today. Got some workable flints out of it. I'm starting to get a collection. They aren't the prettiest, but they all spark nice and make the gun go bang. During research on flint making, I discovered that the style I'm doing is called a "spall" flint, which preceded the French style that the English adopted. The only real flint I've found here'bouts was a golfball sized piece that was in the driveway gravel. It was the real deal and I ended up with three spalls from that piece that will clamp up in the lock and throw great sparks. Wish I had a dump truck load of that!

View attachment 273291

My Campbell county flints look like those. Might not look like much but good sparking flints.

I’m just tickled that they work! I originally tried using a bluish gray rock that’s full of layers ‘cuz it sparks better than most, but finally realized it’s a “hardened limestone” that occurs around here and isn’t durable. I get about 10-12 shots before it goes dull and won’t spark any more.

Then again, IT’s FREE! And there’s a lot of it.

IMG_4638.jpeg

Few days late, took that long to figure out how to get the picture on my computer, my daughter had to do it for me. Went out deer hunting for the first time in 15 years on Mon. and got this boy with my flintlock. In New Jersey believe it or not, 8 point buck.

Attachments

• pop with deer.jpg
    pop with deer.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 273291
They sure look nice. Your own stash? Cool.

Took the Maple .45 SMR out to see how my latest sight filing would do. Perfect day for shooting. I also took the gloves off and used @deerstalkert ’s famous Bear oil lube plus I went to a .020 patch. The Bear lube worked great! At 25 yards she’s hitting pretty much dead on with a center hold. Unfortunately when I saw where it was hitting at 25 I knew I had filed just a little too much and sure enough it was hitting a little low at 50 with the same hold. So I played around with raising the front sight a little higher in the notch to correct. I don’t want to file the front sight, but I’ll figure something out. Then did some offhand shooting at my portable steel target. (If you notice holes in my steel target there from my oldest granddaughter blasting away at it with her 30-30 back in the spring!). Anyway I shot a bunch and enjoyed it, now the rifle is fit to enjoy on my woods walk course. Now to clean up.
Ok please keep your sharpshootin gun at home if you ever decide to come to one of our shoots 🤣🤣🤣

They sure look nice. Your own stash? Cool.
Yessir…. I’ve just gotten started working up rifle flints. Trying to figure out which types of rocks around here lend themselves to the purpose and how to work them. Getting the right tools was half the battle, so now I need to practice practice practice.

Painstakingly loaded my revolver for what I hope to be my best target loading. 18 grains. 3 cylinders sans filler, 3 with filler to see which groups the best. But didn't get to go to range so I have put the gun away without caps in a super safe location.
Be sure to let us know what works best. I know many use a filler. I never have, just lazy I guess. If it improves accuracy I just may muster the gumption to give it a try. Best of luck!

Got my first little buck of the season with my customized Western Arms, bored out to .58 caliber by Bobby Hoyt with a 1X66 twist and deep lands and grooves for a patched round ball. The lock panels have have been reshaped and forearm was slimmed down to make it look more Hawkenish.
Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_3869.JPG
    IMG_3869.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3871.JPG
    IMG_3871.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Back