• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0581w.jpg

IMG_0582w.jpg

I got the thimbles made and mounted, nearly done.
Multiple holes for sling mount.

Off to shoot my flintlock later today. Perfect weather. 70F no wind.
It’s been raining hear over a week know my guns are crying to go the range .oh well I got the front sites smoothed up and shaped nicer and my range box ready for more testing .I think my testing is coming to an end as I’m just in the process of fine tuning .🙂

Define foolish

I have a separate account and card for my ml and archery projects. The account has to be kept filled. Pretty much a business. I never pay interest on the card. In over 20 years I have never spent more than I could pay off when the next payment is due. Doing so would be "foolish".

the warden was gone to town today...................you know when the cat's away......
I put Iron Butterfly the extended version on repeat, turned the Bose up until the dust on top of my shop lights started dancing to Inna Goda Da Vida, and inlet the small Siler style lock into the walnut stocked Kentucky.
this afternoon i saw 3 missed calls on the phone i had in my pocket. not my wife so i didn't care.
started polishing the butt plate. ugh! would rather wash dishes. that reminds me, told the warden they would be washed when she gets home.
where did i put the Lynyrd Skynyrd file? gonna listen to some Free Bird while washing dishes. something wrong with that picture.🤣

After some recent frustration with my Frontier flintlock, I had a great day with it at the range. Changed things up a bit, but the biggest change was switching from Schutzen 3fg to Goex 3fg. With the Schutzen I have had misfires, hangfires, and pan flashes. Enough that I lost confidence in whether or not the rifle would fire. That sure messes with your POI. Played with flints, angles, etc. The Goex today changed all that. I put 30+ shots downrange today with 1 flint, and all went kaboom just like it's supposed to.
Also found out that my rifle hates .490 lead balls. I set up 3 paper targets at 25 yds.
- .480 ball, .010 patch, 50 grains Goex = 4 out of 5 in the middle
- .495 ball, .010 patch, 60 grains Goex = 3 out of 5 in the middle
- .490 ball, .010 patch, 50 or 60 grains Goex = 1 out of 5 on the 12" circle, bottom left nowhere near the bullseye...4 not even on the paper!

I could not believe it. I hit steel at 50 yds with the .480 ball, but absolutely nothing with the .490 balls, not just today but most of the last few outings. But the difference in powder and consistent ignition was very surprising.

Flintlocks....funny little fellers ain't they? My caplock seems ok with .490's so I have no idea what the deal is but happy I can hit something with my flintlock.

PhotoFunia-1718072080.jpg

Back