• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added my first percussion gun to the stable! $100 and some cleanup work I think I did pretty good! Might need to do something about the hammer being flat gray though it looks super out of place.

1000010317.jpg

Not today, but yesterday. I had a wonderful morning out with the eclectic crew at the local Townsville Range - a great mob of lads. I was chuffed to take out the comp, nearly losing grip on the win to my Shoot Captain, a measly 2.1 points behind. It was the usual process with three targets shot at 50 meters from a range of shooting positions, best ten shots counting on each. I've included my best ones here to show off!

One of our visionaries had a great idea to do a dinosaur hunt, again at fifty metres, any field position. He's a good keen lad making up the targets and the anatomy template for judging. Only one shot for each firer, as he reckons you will only get one shot at a T Rex! Crikey, I got the trophy for that too with my heart and lung shot! Mind, if the lizard was real, I reckon I'd be in trouble :thumb:. It was so much fun, we have decided to make it an annual event, to be shot on the third weekend every August.

We have adopted a come one come all approach here to foster the black arts. On the line today we had flintlocks, percussion rifles, and even one drop in who just arrived from the US with a CVA inline, scope and all - he was apologetic given his modernist equipment, but informs he has a flintlock, and will bring that next time. He had a ball on the line completing all 39 shots with borrowed powder.

Great camaraderie.

Cheers, Pete
View attachment 342705View attachment 342706View attachment 342707View attachment 342708
Well I took my 28 g to the range today and figured out that it’s the nut behind the wheel not the gun that can’t shoot .all my shooting was off a bench at 25 yards on paper and a 4” by 4.5 high can I took 3 shots at .So today I learned that my off hand shooting sucks and I need to shoot more.oh and one hole in the can (the lower 2 holes was 1 shot using wasp nest the other 2 were patched .50/ 55 grns of 3f were used in my shooting today .enjoy the photos gents

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Not today, but yesterday. I had a wonderful morning out with the eclectic crew at the local Townsville Range - a great mob of lads. I was chuffed to take out the comp, nearly losing grip on the win to my Shoot Captain, a measly 2.1 points behind. It was the usual process with three targets shot at 50 meters from a range of shooting positions, best ten shots counting on each. I've included my best ones here to show off!

One of our visionaries had a great idea to do a dinosaur hunt, again at fifty metres, any field position. He's a good keen lad making up the targets and the anatomy template for judging. Only one shot for each firer, as he reckons you will only get one shot at a T Rex! Crikey, I got the trophy for that too with my heart and lung shot! Mind, if the lizard was real, I reckon I'd be in trouble :thumb:. It was so much fun, we have decided to make it an annual event, to be shot on the third weekend every August.

We have adopted a come one come all approach here to foster the black arts. On the line today we had flintlocks, percussion rifles, and even one drop in who just arrived from the US with a CVA inline, scope and all - he was apologetic given his modernist equipment, but informs he has a flintlock, and will bring that next time. He had a ball on the line completing all 39 shots with borrowed powder.

Great camaraderie.

Cheers, Pete
View attachment 342705View attachment 342706View attachment 342707View attachment 342708
What cal were you shooting,powder load and all ?

What cal were you shooting,powder load and all ?
Hi @LANEY REECE! For our local comp I shoot a Pedersoli Tryon in 54 calibre; the rifle has a barrel suited to round ball, I think 1 in 60? The powder I use by necessity here in Australia is Wano; it's the one we can consistently get. After a few seasons of trial and error I find this rifle shoots really well with 70gns of FFG, topped off by an overthrow of semolina of the same volume. I use a home cast dead soft .530 ball, sprue up, with a .018 pillow ticking patch - spit for lube, RWS percussion caps. We get thirty minutes to put 13 balls on the target, so in between shots, I swab with a flannel patch that has been spritzed lightly with Windex - I get two swabs out of one patch, turning it over each time; and, I make sure I swab just short of where the powder sits, so I don't push junk into the belly where all the sparky stuff happens.

I've gone to school from contributors to this site and am thankful for that.

My offhand needs some improving. I'm lucky that our comps usually consist of three rounds, where only one of those is offhand - I don't win too many offhand targets, but make up for the difference by taking advantage of field positions, like prone, sitting, resting off a standing post etc, probably influenced by 23 years military service. When hunting, I never shoot my intended game offhand, always looking for a rest.

Pete

Tryon54-.jpg

I was looking for the string of converting cartridge barrels to muzzle loaders , I can do that easily but takes time

Come holts UK auction , just won £750 on a German mountain percussion carbine Now in the the final post auction stages a pair of 28g unfinished shotgun barrels is put up for £260 I suggested £220 but the computer logged me at £260 and invoiced me, not the end of the world. The chambers not been cut yet , depending on wall thickness I could rifle them , but on the other hand a .540 smooth bore seems to be a might fine choice for round ball. Still pondering will collect it 3 September

On another note I made a quick pig sticker got my Feldstutzer hunting rifle, possible a Jager as it had a specific tube for such a bayonet I made it out of a knife sharpening steel But of fun

Attachments

• DB2DE145-B200-4B51-B3DF-73ECFCA36336.jpeg
    DB2DE145-B200-4B51-B3DF-73ECFCA36336.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 047624DC-52B6-4FA4-BEDE-C68B8675E8D3.jpeg
    047624DC-52B6-4FA4-BEDE-C68B8675E8D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • E49371A5-9F72-44FE-89F4-A2A0DDF7E7A8.jpeg
    E49371A5-9F72-44FE-89F4-A2A0DDF7E7A8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ED4EED2A-E1EC-4422-A26C-18D6128FECE5.jpeg
    ED4EED2A-E1EC-4422-A26C-18D6128FECE5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1947E0B9-D787-4DC0-881F-7AB48CA1C4BD.jpeg
    1947E0B9-D787-4DC0-881F-7AB48CA1C4BD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • C019CE1F-7F80-4344-AC2C-475C3DC4123C.jpeg
    C019CE1F-7F80-4344-AC2C-475C3DC4123C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3A39DB84-F9D8-496E-9EFE-00614222787F.jpeg
    3A39DB84-F9D8-496E-9EFE-00614222787F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well after working on my southern mountain shot bag I found my order of assembly led a bit to be desired. So I ordered more leather and started over on the pouch. I have a new take on the assembly order and made good progress on the new pouch. The learning curve has been steep.

Shot my kit build .50 cal. 1976 percussion CVA Mountain rifle that i converted to 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock rifle. GREAT shooter! Trying to smooth out my “not so pro” barrel drilling and bring it to hit where i aim. Better results today with 75 grns 3f under a thickly-tight .610 ball heavily greased with Mink Oil and Frog Lube. It seems the word is “Tighter is better”.

Back