• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words about my dog. She is not doing better so we will be heading back to the vet. How did you enlarge my avatar picture?
I just googled 'Angry Rat in a Canoe' and there he was @RiverRat. As an English teacher, I find avatars an interesting extension of an individual's textual discourse - sometimes there is a real connection with the poster's personality, sometimes the choice is random, other times for pure pleasure. Yours is a beauty. Longcruise's too :D. A bit of an academic leap, but I think it's a bit like admiring the cover of a book, wondering what the connection is to the story.

Cheers, Pete

Angry Rat.jpg

I've been working on this Pecatonica TC Hawken/Renegade replacement stock. The barrel channel needs a very little enlargement and so far I've resisted attacking it with chisels. I, fine work and chisels are a dangerous combo.

So I cut out this piece of scrap wood to make a sort of octagonal sanding block. Glued some 80 grit to it and then fled the heat. I'll put it to use tomorrow providing that it IS useful. 😀

20240828_180820_copy_600x1264.jpg

20240828_180310_copy_600x687.jpg

20240828_180424_copy_800x793.jpg

Shot the Revolutionary Challenge from another forum.
100 yds, cold bore, offhand, 45cal 440 diameter 125grnLRB, 018 patch, 70 grn 2f Goex
View attachment 345205
Took me 21 shots at one only per day to hit first time. Three more to hit second time. Gonna keep shooting it until I can’t miss. 🤠

discovered my "perfect set up" on my swivel bench vise isn't. I need to get another 90* turn out of it to allow my rickety old body to carve comfortably.
started to eyeball the dining room table, but the resulting growl from shmbo made me scurry back out to the shop to contemplate alternatives there. maybe a new bench is in order. better yet a new shop! have been eyeballing one of those premade units in town. a 16 x 20 would just fit the bill.

Found my new cleaning kit, the .50 is about to get a good scrubbing.
Bought some more 1/16” drill bits, the .50 is getting linoleum nails instead of checkering.
Can’t find my borescope, so even though popping caps did not touch anything off, don’t trust that the .54 is unloaded.
These guns will be with me until I pass. Already willed to my honorary grandson.

My best friend was gifted a very early brass framed Uberti Navy when a close friend of his passed. He’s an avid gun guy but this is his first BP firearm. He asked for help so here we are. The action is very stiff, trigger also. So I disassembled it this morning and soaked all the parts in dawn and water. I think it was lubed with petroleum based oil, lots of gummy tar. The barrel and cylinder are in great shape, I think it’s had very little use. All the parts cleaned up well and are in good shape. I’m going to polish up the internals and get it back in service.

Needing more rattlesnake, copperhead skins for bows. Working round clock to get ready for Trappers Day rondy in Ft. Lupton. Knapping up some flints for rock lock. Long Cruise - Bring that rest to range for try out. Wish some one would haul bench and rest to elk woods. Happy safe Labor Day.

Found my new cleaning kit, the .50 is about to get a good scrubbing.
Bought some more 1/16” drill bits, the .50 is getting linoleum nails instead of checkering.
Can’t find my borescope, so even though popping caps did not touch anything off, don’t trust that the .54 is unloaded.
These guns will be with me until I pass. Already willed to my honorary grandson.
Well, hold the barrel muzzle near grass blades or a leaf and pop the cap if it moves the leaf it's clear.

Needing more rattlesnake, copperhead skins for bows. Working round clock to get ready for Trappers Day rondy in Ft. Lupton. Knapping up some flints for rock lock. Long Cruise - Bring that rest to range for try out. Wish some one would haul bench and rest to elk woods. Happy safe Labor Day.
I usually encounter a few prairie rattlers when antelope hunting but not up high. If one gets in the way I'll collect it for you.

I'll definitely bring the rest along. Gonna need a breaking in. Might bring that shotgun too. 🤔

Latest posts

Back