• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the sear spring on an old CVA mountain rifle that broke on me last week while attempting to shoot it.. At the same session I was trying to get a old navy arms Kentucky rifle sighted in and was just about there when the rear sight fell off. Someone did a poor job at filing the dovetail on it. I replaced the sight with a new one. I bought these in a small collection and finally getting around to using them. Both .45's are from the mid 1970's. Maybe if time allows I can shoot them today.
Ya ever get a loose dovetail like that again ....you can " dimple " the bottom of the dovetail up with a punch or nail set ... Tightens it right back up .... Good shootin !

That’s good to know, I’ve always wondered what sort of damage/ballistics a patched round ball has on a deer, or if I’ll have to track them far. Obviously shot placement is key, but from your story it seems that a round ball is no slouch compared to like a sabot or conical,if the shooter does his part.
As others have said, a round ball is quite capable. Like all firearms of choice, placement with the round ball rifle is critical; match the size of the ball to the game, don't attempt a shot where the outcome is uncertain, shoot within range, use a rest whenever and wherever you can and @jesse_ennis, you will bring home the bacon. Oh, and get as close as you can - the stalk toward the game is what gets my heart pumping.

Cheers, Pete

Round ball.jpg

Back