• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Jukar .45 flintlock out and fired off a few shots. Have been very satisfied with the progress I have made. Started off only getting a few shots off before having ignition problems but after some lock work and a better understanding of a reliable, consistent loading process, I was able to get 20 shots off with only 2 flashes in the pan. Also hit my 8" steel plate at 50 yards, 9 out of 10 shots. I have come a long way in the flintlock field and can wait till I am able to save up for a better quality rifle one day.

Casted some .340's which is what my Cub seems to prefer using an old DGW mold. The little shears (made in Japan) and probably antique as well is what I use to cut the sprue. Bad part of course is these weigh anywhere from 58 to 61 grains, so not as consistent as the newer Lee molds, oh well....

View attachment 327788
Got to have a video these days! :cool:

Beautiful day here in Southern Vermont, temperature 70f with 15 mph winds. I figured it would be a good day to pour some lead balls, I can leave the windows and doors open in my workshop, and no need for a fan. Cast some .530 lead balls for my Woodsrunner, and .600 for my 20 gauge trade gun. Now I should have plenty for a few trips to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Finished a semi translucent horn kit from Powderhorns and more. Originally was going to sell but decided to keep because it was so darn pretty. Polished it up to 3000 grit and hit it with 0000 steel wool. Only complaint was it’s so darn shiney now that the horn shows teeny tiny micro abrasions from the fine steel wool. Only normal I suppose, plus banging it around in the woods will give it a nice used broke in patina to it…Finished it off by adorning a lewis and Clark trade bead on the spout plug.
156E705B-FE12-43F3-A1CC-165727DC7402.jpeg

Beautiful day here in Southern Vermont, temperature 70f with 15 mph winds. I figured it would be a good day to pour some lead balls, I can leave the windows and doors open in my workshop, and no need for a fan. Cast some .530 lead balls for my Woodsrunner, and .600 for my 20 gauge trade gun. Now I should have plenty for a few trips to the range.
Went to the range today beings it finally stopped raining any way im thinking my gun is a 20 yard shooter.14 holes 3 went threw the other side of the soup can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
A wonderful morning at the local muzzle loader comp today - a good bunch of lads! I took out the first target scoring 96.1, the closest shooter four points behind me 🙂. We go by international rules, firing thirteen shots and counting the best ten. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there, as the hammer on my Tryon wouldn't hold in the full cock position - I chose to withdraw from the next two stages to navigate the issue ☹️. Turns out, the little screw on the trigger plate, the one that keeps the tension on the lock spring had backed out a few turns over the years, not revealing its issue until this morning. A bit of a diagnostic sorted it out; I'll be ready for next month! Oh, and I know how to fix the issue if it ever happens again - perhaps I'll put a bit of the wife's fingernail polish on the offending screw to prevent it from moving ...

As you can see, our Shoot Captain likes to recycle the targets😁.

Cheers, Pete

first target.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a powder horn that came with a little poor boy flintlock I bought about a year ago. It’s been sitting because I just don’t care for the way it was finished. I am thinking of redoing it but noticed a makers mark on it. Thought I would check if anyone knew of the maker before I re shaped it…if it had value because of the maker I wouldn’t want to re shape it.

Attachments

• IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
  • IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
finished shaping the tang, drilled and counter sunk and made a screw for the tang on the golden age Kentucky i am building from a walnut plank.
filed two dovetails into the Colrain barrel for pin tabs. got the lugs installed.
started the Ramrod channel. need to find my 3/8 drill. cleaned the shop a little now can't find stuff.
got the package of Isaac Haines parts that i ordered from TOTW on the 9th of may. said order disappeared from this dimension via UPS until today. Totw had already sent a replacement order via FedEx that i got in like 3 days. called them and paid for this set of stuff. can always use it. Guess another Isaac Haines is on the menu. Have a walnut blank that might work.

Got out after work today with my wife and we put a couple balls down range..
Last one was what got me, darn wind was swaying me and I touched off too soon.

Attachments

• 1000012784.jpg
    1000012784.jpg
  • 1000012785.jpg
    1000012785.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000012786.jpg
    1000012786.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240617_193504.jpg
    20240617_193504.jpg
Picked up another project. Looks like an older precarved with a Sharon barrel 7/8"X42"-.45cal. Got it for Cheep. Whoever started it did not have the knowledge to finish it. Butt plate will have to be moved forward, trigger pull is 15" where it is mounted now. Touch hole liner is a bolt inserted cut off and drilled so will have to replace that. Will see if I can un-breech and make sure that was done correctly. Lock I got from a friend and it fits well into the opening.

Attachments

• 20240618_055058.jpg
    20240618_055058.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back