• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 for Target?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To elaborate; there are small groups of shooters all over the country who get together for formal or informal matches. If they are more accustomed to scoring used in suppository matches they might simply apply the cut the line method to their get togethers. More than once I've seen knowledgeable shooters show up for their first time at a competition without having any idea of the center of ball system.
I'm not much of a competitor but I didn't know about the center of ball thing. Very interesting and probably a fair method.

There is a slight advantage to a larger cal. when it comes to wind drift...but not much. I ran a comparison on a ballistics program between a .45 PRB and a .54...at two muzzle velocities 1400fps and 1800fps. At 100yds, 1400 fps,10mph wind drift for .54 was 10.4", for .45 12.6". At 100yds, 1800fps,10mph wind drift for .54 was 10.9"; for the .45 cal. 13.5". You be the judge if a couple inches is significant. An interesting fact is that at these velocities (and higher) The drift increases slightly with added velocity. Sooooo.... adding more powder doesn't usually reduce wind drift. Drift is more closely correlated with velocity loss than time-in-flight.

There is a slight advantage to a larger cal. when it comes to wind drift...but not much. I ran a comparison on a ballistics program between a .45 PRB and a .54...at two muzzle velocities 1400fps and 1800fps. At 100yds, 1400 fps,10mph wind drift for .54 was 10.4", for .45 12.6". At 100yds, 1800fps,10mph wind drift for .54 was 10.9"; for the .45 cal. 13.5". You be the judge if a couple inches is significant. An interesting fact is that at these velocities (and higher) The drift increases slightly with added velocity. Sooooo.... adding more powder doesn't usually reduce wind drift. Drift is more closely correlated with velocity loss than time-in-flight.
I've seen this before regarding more velocity more drift. BPCR shooters that I know confirmed it. I don't understand it but it's one of those things that defys intuition.

Hello all!!

I am desiring most strongly a Kibler Woodsrunner in .54 caliber. I am wanting that caliber as it allows the lightest weight and is reportedly very well balanced and handy. Years ago I had a Lyman Great Plains rifle and had a lot of fun shooting that caliber.

Also someday I might try getting a deer with the gun, but my main uses will be recreational target shooting and some woods walk and shooting competitions.

Does anyone here who shoots a .54 like it for that type of use? Is using a .54 for “just” target shooting/woods walks overkill?

Thanks!!

-Smokey
Not at all! It's a cool caliber, and one can use it for whatever they want!

I am very glad with my .54 Woodsrunner. Its a hunting gun for me, but that said I think it would punch paper great. Mine does. The lighter gun because of the bigger bore is an added bonus. Deer and elk don't like it so much. Well balanced

I am very glad with my .54 Woodsrunner. Its a hunting gun for me, but that said I think it would punch paper great. Mine does. The lighter gun because of the bigger bore is an added bonus. Deer and elk don't like it so much. Well balanced
You say the .54 is lighter. What is the barrel diameter used in the .54?

An interesting fact is that at these velocities (and higher) The drift increases slightly with added velocity. Sooooo.... adding more powder do
With a BPCR, that is when the bullets go trans sonic, at around 750 yards. When the bullet drops below approximately 1180 fps, they get unstable for a bit before going to sleep again. For my buffalo rifles I like to load at the 1180 fps speed. That is 20 fps below the velocity that was standard for the .45-70. Keeping my loads at that level gave me more than a few wins at the mid range targets, over the guys trying to hot rod the rounds. The same thing happens with round balls.

NOW I will say Someone once told me pick which ever package has the bells and whistles that blows your skirt up and run with it, I started with a .44 Brass frame revolver, Then 3 .50 cal a .36 1851 revolver then a .44 1851 a .45 Kentucky pistol a .45 Kentucky rifle which is on the way. So a .54 is your desire. Go for it I am sure you can play with the powder load and shot to your desire also.

You say the .54 is lighter. What is the barrel diameter used in the .54?
Im not sure the barrel diameter. It is a swamped barrel which takes a little weight out of the equation. I’m not certain but at least the 50 and 54 I believe have the same outside specs. The bore just removes more metal for the 54. My dad has a 50 and you can feel the difference handling both. Its not huge, but I take extra long walks!

For the longest time my shooting match rifle was the 1802 Harpers Ferry in 54 cal. About a half dozen years ago I had a Jaeger Rifle built in 62 cal. That has been my match gun. both use more powder than a 45 0r 50 but ita what I enjoyed before my eyes went

At present, I'm shooting a 1/70" twist for a hunting gun w/PRB. Shoots great (under 2" @ 50yds) with 65gr FFF, up to 3-4" groups at 100 with 90grains.

Latest posts

Back