• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some time to work on the mountain pistol today, got everything fitted, bed the tang and trigger guard, captured the wedge and fired 6 percussion caps to test function. The lock and triggers are polished internally. I’ll move on to final shaping and finishing.

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
  • IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6480.jpeg
    IMG_6480.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6486.jpeg
    IMG_6486.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Almost finished with a larger shooting bag. this one is 61/2 x 8 inches with a 2' gusset, I put a divider in and sewed a smaller pocket with a flap on the inside divider. I thought putting a small flap on the pocket would keep me from jamming my fingers in it when reaching for something in the bottom of the bag. I still need a strap and maybe make a loop for my short starter. Getting better with my sewing but still a ways to go.
That's looking good 👍. Made by one's own hand I special. Adds that spirit to the time spent using it.
Happy Birthday LC!
Thanks Hatman.

Sounds like you had a good shoot @longcruise. I'm not sure if it will help, but anything is worth a try extending our shooting years. I use a diopter that I stick to my glasses when I use open sights, that's traditional iron sights mind, not a peep sight. I find the diopter makes my eyes young again! With the merit device on my glasses, I can easily distinguish the rear sight, the front sight and the target - Crikey, I can hear my basic training Senior NCO yelling, "Watch that front sight!"

The Merits are pretty hard to find these days, but the Eyepal does a good job. A couple of our lads at the range simply use a round black adhesive target patch on their glasses. They attach the black patch to their glasses after placing a small hole in the patch with a pin - simple yet effective measure.

I'm not too sure if the approach will overcome your cataract challenges, but worth a shot?

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 335954View attachment 335955
the web sight is not real forth coming with info so what I want to know is what do you get for your $30?

Been a long time brain wrestle over this but today one side of my brain surrendered. 🧠

Way back when Kibler was taking pre orders for Woodsrunners I placed my order. Way down the road and about two weeks from shipping date I had to deal with a few dental bills. Certainly didn't break me but was enough of a financial consideration to cancel my order.

I remained focused on the WR in 54 as my perfect Rocky mountain hunter. Length and weight being the big considerations. Then I started to vaccilate between the WR and the Colonial. I like the 58 caliber hole in the pipe and the longer sight plane. I periodically changed my mind about ten times 🤣. Then I started looking at the Chambers English Sporting rifle. Hmmmmm...... available in 58, about the same weight as the WR. Likely a bit lighter. Now, the "brain pain" was over the top. I consciously put the whole question out of my mind for months.

As fall is approaching it started up all over again. Decided to make a decision and I did!

Just got off the phone with Barbie after she took my order for an English Sporting Rifle! Ahhhh..... brain feels better already. 😌

I worked on the mountain pistol some more. The wood is at 120 and so is the barrel. I borrowed TDM’s idea for applying some barrel bling. It worked very well. I’m going to uniform the dimples on the drill press with a lathe center drill bit. I’m so glad my dog finds muzzleloaders interesting!

Attachments

• IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
  • IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6506.jpeg
    IMG_6506.jpeg
  • IMG_6507.jpeg
    IMG_6507.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6508.jpeg
    IMG_6508.jpeg
  • IMG_6504.jpeg
    IMG_6504.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I've managed a few more coats of oil on the wood parts for my powderhorn while things have been hot and dry. Cooler and more humid for the next couple of days, so that'll slow it down a hair.

I've decided to give the minimalistic scrimshaw a go....here's hoping it turns out as nice as the molding lines on the Colonial ;)

to hot in the shop for my delicate self to work on the Kentucky, so i shot my SMR at this months contest target.
when the sweat got in my eye balls, I sat in a recliner and napped.
Neighbor came over to get my Found On Road Dead pickup. he is going to replace the fuel pump for me. I fired it up and got it headed down the mountain before it died again, coasted dead stick the 2 miles to his place and he brought me home in his '40 chev .
hadn't cleaned the SMR yet so let him shoot his first muzzleloader.

to hot in the shop for my delicate self to work on the Kentucky, so i shot my SMR at this months contest target.
when the sweat got in my eye balls, I sat in a recliner and napped.
Neighbor came over to get my Found On Road Dead pickup. he is going to replace the fuel pump for me. I fired it up and got it headed down the mountain before it died again, coasted dead stick the 2 miles to his place and he brought me home in his '40 chev .
hadn't cleaned the SMR yet so let him shoot his first muzzleloader.

I lost the string and conversation…..just from a Reilly in an auction catalogue holts London

Attachments

• E408C494-2FD9-4BCB-94ED-E6F0B3C37BC5.jpeg
    E408C494-2FD9-4BCB-94ED-E6F0B3C37BC5.jpeg
  • BA48CDF4-43BB-4968-8982-44D21C914860.jpeg
    BA48CDF4-43BB-4968-8982-44D21C914860.jpeg
  • 06C37A70-49D2-4373-8801-5C7AA0A2A1F8.jpeg
    06C37A70-49D2-4373-8801-5C7AA0A2A1F8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back