• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered 5 yards of Unbleached Cotton Drill from Joann's for $20 with free shipping. Item #: 683532. $21.85 with tax. I got it from their website. The stores nearby didn't have it in stock.

This is sometimes referred to as "#40 Pocket Drill" that's .018 thick. The gals in the store didn't know what #40 Pocket Drill was. They'd never heard of it. I found the SKU # in a post on the forum here (thank you, @smo and @The Crisco Kid !) so was able to order it. With free shipping, that makes it even cheaper.
I ordered a couple yards online myself today. I noticed they changed the name of the product but the sku was the same. They've been out of stock for quite a while. Hopefully it's the same fabric.

Finished inletting the Trigger Guard on the Fowler. Next is the ramrod pipes.
1000005628.jpg

What I use for beading needles are usually John James short sharp beading needles for my lazy stitch and applique projects. I typically use a number 11 beading needle as on some of my #10 beads the #10 needle won’t go through. I don’t like using the #12 needle as it tears up my fingers. The longer needles are for loom work which I don’t do. The needle size is and approximation for the size of the needle you will want. I say approximation, because I use a mixture of beads consisting of old (older than 100 years), vintage (older than 50 years), and modern and from different manufactures.

I typically use number 10 and 11 seed beads. You will find that the bead size will very between manufacture even though they are sold as the same size. I have found that the hole size is not consistent in the old beads and with many of the low-cost beads.

I think that if you purchase good modern beads, you won’t have this problem and you will find it much easier to keep your rows straight and level.

In some cases, I need to go to a number 12 needle in order to load some old #10 beads. Also, when making several passes through a bead, as in when I make rosettes, I will use a #12 needle.

For thread, I use Nymo thread Size B thread. According to Crazy Crow, “Size “A” or “00” Nymo is best for 13/0 and smaller beads; Size “B” is good for 11/0 and 12/0 and size “D” works well for both 10/0 and 11/0 beads. Size “F” is quite heavy and is good for 5/0 & 8/0 pony beads.”

One of our forum members, Waksupi, has said that he uses cotton wrapped polyester for his beading projects.

I purchase my supplies from local bead shops, Shipwreck Beads out of Lacey, WA, and Crazy Crow. You could probably get the needles from Amazon, although I try to avoid in favor of local stores.

I hope this helps.
Thank you Tom for that info, I couldn’t even Google what kind of needles to use and you just gave me a treasure trove of info. Just got home from a trip, sorry for the late reply, I really appreciate it.

today I took it easy. Helped Lurch get his Kibler WR lock in by smoking it for him before he took a pocket knife to the inletting.
kept telling him he needed the barrel mounted first so he could be sure the bolster was flush. He just stared at me so i told him to come back when he had the barrel set.
did a bit of work on the moldings and flushed up the butt with the butt plate.
thinking about shooting my Colonial. or taking a nap.

Spent about 2 hrs. at the Gun makers Fair yesterday. Met Bld.Trailer and bought some of his flints, very reasonable. I watched his demo, the man knows what he is doing. Learned a lot about knapping. Had to leave as my back gave out, so I stopped at Dixon's on the way home to pick up some Goex. I should have brought my heart medicine with me. $45 a pound +tax! Going to have to learn to make my own!
Watch Jake on youtube.com under everything blackpowder

Latest posts

Back