• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put another coat of tru-oil on the latest rifle. just waiting for the patch box cover to finish it.
today we are hosting my daughter's 54th birthday party. trying to figure out where i can hide!
maybe go bear hunting? don't do well with loud crowds.

Attachments

• 20240925_085944.jpg
    20240925_085944.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240925_090050.jpg
    20240925_090050.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240925_090108.jpg
    20240925_090108.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Went to my range and took the time to fine tune the NW trade gun.
Starting out everything was low but grouping but not what I wanted.......so I started changing things up.
Went to a heavier patch, changed my sight picture a bit and bingo!
These were my last 3 shots, 30 yards benched after figuring things out.
4 1/2 inch diameter black spot.
.012 patch, 70gr 2F spit lube and .595 ball.

Attachments

• IMG_20240925_130502654_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240925_130502654_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Started shaping the stock and replaced the small coil spring that was under the sear. It originally had a leaf spring. As thick as the lock plate is I milled a pocket for a larger coil spring, which is a lot better with a little more pressure. Still have to make some wedges to adjust the spring tension on both hammers. I'm also going to case harden the end of the sear.

Attachments

• 20240925_080402.jpg
    20240925_080402.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240925_081627.jpg
    20240925_081627.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240925_081703.jpg
    20240925_081703.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
You got this Walt!!
Well another day at the range with slim my 24 gauge with the 26” barrel and patch and RB sucked but I found one that looks promising.I put in powder then dropped a ball on top of that and put a piece of wasp nest on top to hold it in .The one thing I did notice is using 2f she got dirty fast and had to clean but as long as she was somewhat clean accuacywas decent .and then I had to try shot again to see if I could hit the paper and I hit the paper so I sure this up to a good day .I hope I’m not boring you guys with my crapy shooting ,I’m the only one at my club that shoots black powder that’s why I put it on you guys .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
put another coat of tru-oil on the latest rifle. just waiting for the patch box cover to finish it.
today we are hosting my daughter's 54th birthday party. trying to figure out where i can hide!
maybe go bear hunting? don't do well with loud crowds.
I reckon the boss we’ll decide what you do today .lol

Went to my range and took the time to fine tune the NW trade gun.
Starting out everything was low but grouping but not what I wanted.......so I started changing things up.
Went to a heavier patch, changed my sight picture a bit and bingo!
These were my last 3 shots, 30 yards benched after figuring things out.
4 1/2 inch diameter black spot.
.012 patch, 70gr 2F spit lube and .595 ball.
It’s nice when things come together for you makes you feel like you accomplished something good for the day .

Well another day at the range with slim my 24 gauge with the 26” barrel and patch and RB sucked but I found one that looks promising.I put in powder then dropped a ball on top of that and put a piece of wasp nest on top to hold it in .The one thing I did notice is using 2f she got dirty fast and had to clean but as long as she was somewhat clean accuacywas decent .and then I had to try shot again to see if I could hit the paper and I hit the paper so I sure this up to a good day .I hope I’m not boring you guys with my crapy shooting ,I’m the only one at my club that shoots black powder that’s why I put it on you guys .
Walt, Not boring and definitely not crappy shooting just work in progress working up a load.
It's all trial and error until it comes in tune.....and it will.
I love the challenge of working up a load for a particular gun even though it's frustrating at times .
Keep at it, it will come.

I cleaned my traditions Kentucky rifle, this is my first real muzzleloader, and was my first time cleaning one. I’m 19 and new to the whole black powder game, so I’m open to any advice yall have to a beginner in this hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 0
Back