• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatever it be, looks good without the paint.
mostly i can't nail down what wood is without smelling it. my father had sawmills before i was born and i can't remember when he didn't have one until he passed. I get chills smelling a fresh cut board.
last mill he had we milled a black walnut. he has been gone 30 years and i still have some of that walnut.

The wood is light weight and soft. Really soft. Doesn’t take much to put a blemish on it. The steel seems okay though. Probably why these were thrown in on a trade.😄. I can always change the wood later if needed.

The last three days I spent at the Quad State blacksmith roundup in Troy Ohio. Tailgate sales netted me some fun stuff. Most of the blacksmith hammers and ball peens I paid $1 for I'm happy for the coil spring to make tools as I didn't have any in that size. The little lead pot will be handy when I get it cleaned up. The big stake anvil in the middle is awesome. It was a working anvil when George Washington was alive. I'm looking forward to getting it stump mounted and forge historical things on it as was done originally.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Thanks for display; I've never seen a stake anvil. Dale

07BD1987-1713-4DC4-935D-4D75C1536150.jpeg

50ED9F7E-A14D-478F-BEB6-7C265F70D6E9.jpeg

Good early turn out at Hatchie Run Longrifles annual Fall camp…
The weather is great and folks are coming out too burn some powder!

Camp starts Friday near Ashland Ms ..
For those interested the club has a face book account with all the info and directions.

Everyone Welcome!👍

View attachment 357576

View attachment 357575

Good early turn out at Hatchie Run Longrifles annual Fall camp…
The weather is great and folks are coming out too burn some powder!

Camp starts Friday near Ashland Ms ..
For those interested the club has a face book account with all the info and directions.

Everyone Welcome!👍
Would have loved to have come, but I just spent this past week camped ahead of our Tennessee Longhunters shoot. I’m still ragged out…. It was mighty chilly last week!

IMG_6201.jpeg

IMG_6217.jpeg

IMG_6211.jpeg

IMG_6219.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    5.6 MB
"Surprise, surprise!" as Gomer would say. The barrel slid into place today. No extra wood shaving needed for the Kibler Fowler. Pin holes lined right up, too. I had been having problems with it fitting. However, the barrel was cold today and maybe that was it.
The Doc is literally out now heading to Wally World for some med refills. :horseback:

First shots today through the ASM 1858 Remington brass-frame "Buntline" that I purchased here from @BigSkyRambler. Gun detail here: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/nice-asm-1858-buntline.186196/

IMG_0222.jpg

Loading with 25 gr 3F and a felt wad between powder and 0.454 ball with #11 caps ignited only three out of six chambers due to caps either falling off or not igniting and just getting mutilated. Replaced with #10 caps on unfired chambers and repeated. Shooting results with target at seven paces (my usual distance for first shots to judge accuracy and sights, if so equipped) were excellent:

IMG_0223.jpg

The impression and tear above center mostly likely due to a wad that hit paper. But sights apparently right on. In fact, no cap 'n ball revolver I own has shot this well on first try.

This gun obviously prefers #10 caps. So reloaded cylinder with same charge and same balls, but no wads, primed with #10 caps, and moved target out to 25 yds. Three shots to confirm sights were just a little right and a little high, but nicely grouped (sorry, no pic), so then three shots at the dinner-plate gong at that range and rang it two out of three shots.

That's all I really wanted to do today with this gun, and I counted it as a day with range goals achieved.

Back