• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What projectile should I use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to which projectile is more PC wasn't a factor when I switched to PRBs from conicals. Have shot a few elk w/ the 410 gr.,.50 cal. Buffalo Bullets and they performed well but when sighted-in for a hundred yds., the midrange height was too great and there were some misses by me and my buddies because of this. The other drawback w/ conicals is that they don't stay on the powder charge in a clean bbl. Shot 2 elk w/ a .54 PRB and saw no difference between it and the conical in bringing down the elk. A .58 PRB to me would be better yet......Fred

flehto said:
As to which projectile is more PC wasn't a factor when I switched to PRBs from conicals. Have shot a few elk w/ the 410 gr.,.50 cal. Buffalo Bullets and they performed well but when sighted-in for a hundred yds., the midrange height was too great and there were some misses by me and my buddies because of this. The other drawback w/ conicals is that they don't stay on the powder charge in a clean bbl. Shot 2 elk w/ a .54 PRB and saw no difference between it and the conical in bringing down the elk. A .58 PRB to me would be better yet......Fred

If I'm hunting with conicals I lube up the bullet well and use a lube that remains thick for the temperatures encountered. This helps to keep the bullet seated on the powder.

", but don't beat up individuals because they're using gear that's perfectly fine with the site owner"

I don't care what anyone uses, just don't try to pass off the modern bullets as traditional just because they are an allowed topic on this forum, that in itself does not make them traditional, they are a product of modern ballistic science,much different than the few period types that were around in the past,you can throw the bull about not riding horses to "vous and all the other meaningless dribble to try and divert the issue but it is pointless and does not change the facts.

tg said:
", but don't beat up individuals because they're using gear that's perfectly fine with the site owner"

I don't care what anyone uses, just don't try to pass off the modern bullets as traditional just because they are an allowed topic on this forum, that in itself does not make them traditional, ...

I agree. :thumbsup:

And for what it's worth I did not beat up on anyone(read my posts) I said the PRB is plenty adequate for the type of hunting mentioned and it was an option listed in the original post, and I stated the FACT the most of the projectiles we discuss are MODERN ones, just stating the facts, if they bother someone then someone better review their goals, perception, and level of this sport that they strive for.but don't toss the traditional term around so loosely as it only shows a complete lack of understanding of that aspect of the sport and is an insult to those who do, and a poor example to those who are in the learning stage.

Yup, just like Walmart pillow ticking and bore butter are traditional.

No matter what the shape, a conical in 58 caliber, the original point of this thread, is probably a lot more traditional than a 58 cal RB, at least in terms of numbers and varieties of 58 caliber guns from the time period, as well as number of shots fired. Heck, 58 cal minies sustained the civil war for the most part, and if a guy wants to use all lead conicals no sense pushing round balls on him.

I don't recall swaged round balls being used in period, so I guess anyone using them instead of cast is on your non-traditional list.

Here's a ponder point for you:

Is a guy using swaged round balls, walmart pillow ticking and bore butter traditional? Or is he disqualified from traditional by a guy casting his own round balls, using natural materials for patching, and making his own lubes from animal fat?

Gotta draw the line somewhere, and obviously we draw it in different places. I'm not going to criticize a guy having fun for not doing things my way. The point being, if he's using a sidelock muzzleloader and all lead projectiles, I don't really care what shape his lead is or whether he is using real black or a sub. He's welcome at my fire.

026.gif

". He's welcome at my fire.'

He'd be welcome at mine also and I would provide the pot and ladel and mold to melt down the modern bullets and cast some RBs' and off into the sunset on a tranquil sea sails a ship of fools decieved by those who knew little but swayed them towards that which they wanted to believe the facts be damned, all ahead full with eyes closed tightly.Enjoy whatever you wish to call it as you hunt and play with modern gear.

Nobody is completely traditional unless they ride a horse of walk to thier hunting grounds from thier house or actually cabin. And any gun made today would not be traditional because different tools and materials were used to make the rifle. So on and so on...

I think it is cool to hunt pretend hunting traditionally and I would like to give it a try some day.

I dont want to make anyone mad. We all hunt our own ways and we must understand that. I love the thoughts of traditional muzzleloading and consider myself a traditional muzzleloader for shooting a caplock, using real black powder, and using a roundball or all lead conical.

Claude, this is what your decision to allow this kind of discussion causes. They will never stop until all the traditional people leave/shut up, or the website is so screwed up that everyone leaves, just like the one that is now the Captchee/rattus show. This is exactly why I react so strongly when they start this manure. This a a traditional website or it isn't. Either these folks get with the program or the website is harmed. We are to the, "what did you drive to the hunt" level of BS already. Next is "don't get your buckskin panties in a bunch", and other such insults directed at the traditionalist. If you don't believe me, ask Rancocas, Tans, or the Kansan. Many of the people involved are even the same as the crew that destroyed HA.
So which is it? Is this a traditional site or just another place for these clowns to come bait the traditional folks?

I shoot a 54 RB but have spent years shooting conicles, IMHO your are going to get better down range ballistics minis strong wind with your 58RB at 100yrds here's why, with my 225gr RB infront of 110grns of goex express ffg I get three inches of elevation loss between 50 and 100 yrds not a big deal if you site your rifle three inches high at 50 yrds but when you increase your ball weight to 580 or even a heavy conicle slug your elevation loss IMO will far to great between 50 and 100 yrds for even double lung elk.
I have killed many elk with my 54 RB from 20 to 100yrds and every one died under two min.
If you are stuck on a slug put a creedmore on your rifle so you can zero out to 100 yrds.
or plan on shooting 150 grns of powder to get that sucker shootin' flat, :surrender:
:hatsoff:

Kentuckywindage said:
gmww said:
cptleo said:
I think with 100+ gr loads, recoil with a 580 gr bullet may become an issue with the Renegade.

I would shoot all three and see which you like the best.

You have what 6 months to see what works best in your rifle.

I feel iron sights are more of a limiting factor than bullet style.

How far away can you hit a coffee can 5 out 5 while standing on you own two feet @ 10,000 ft elevation ?

I agree. See what you can come up with for an accurate load. I would normally lean towards the heavier conical if distance was a factor but if it don't shoot accurate enough then why bother. I would prefer to hit accurately then not at all.

Yep, a 285 grain hornady great plains gives me 2 1/2" groups @ 100 yards in my .45 while a 225 grain powerbelt is under 1" @ 100 with the same powder charge. I would prefer a PRB but due to weight limits, its not legal. I go for the most accurate projectile in my .45
My .50cals and .54's all shoot PRB.

Not to rain on your parade but here in CO we are not allowed to use 45 cal on elk :bull: Sorry if I read you post wrong.
Kinda silly sence I can use a 45-70 during rifle season :youcrazy:

Sharp Shooter said:
Nobody is completely traditional unless they ride a horse of walk to thier hunting grounds from thier house or actually cabin. And any gun made today would not be traditional because different tools and materials were used to make the rifle. So on and so on...

I think it is cool to hunt pretend hunting traditionally and I would like to give it a try some day.

I dont want to make anyone mad. We all hunt our own ways and we must understand that. I love the thoughts of traditional muzzleloading and consider myself a traditional muzzleloader for shooting a caplock, using real black powder, and using a roundball or all lead conical.

:bow: :bow:
This a trad site I shoot only RB but If you go to the other modern sites and ask about all lead Conicles they will ridicule you about being a backwoods hillbilly and get with the program and quite shooting those oldschool bullets ( I have seen it)
So... come om guys lighten up we are all famley here and on this forum for a reason, And being a troll ain't one of them at least not that I have read.
I know Sharp ****** some of you off with the traditional crack but after seeing and getting an ass chewing myself for a simple question I can also see why he said it. Remember if you want Political correctness join the Liberal party if you want true in your face honesty than come here, I like most of you have no tolarance for PC headgames so lets stick together and help one another instead of beating on each other.

Greenmtnboy said:
Kentuckywindage said:
gmww said:
cptleo said:
I think with 100+ gr loads, recoil with a 580 gr bullet may become an issue with the Renegade.

I would shoot all three and see which you like the best.

You have what 6 months to see what works best in your rifle.

I feel iron sights are more of a limiting factor than bullet style.

How far away can you hit a coffee can 5 out 5 while standing on you own two feet @ 10,000 ft elevation ?

I agree. See what you can come up with for an accurate load. I would normally lean towards the heavier conical if distance was a factor but if it don't shoot accurate enough then why bother. I would prefer to hit accurately then not at all.

Yep, a 285 grain hornady great plains gives me 2 1/2" groups @ 100 yards in my .45 while a 225 grain powerbelt is under 1" @ 100 with the same powder charge. I would prefer a PRB but due to weight limits, its not legal. I go for the most accurate projectile in my .45
My .50cals and .54's all shoot PRB.

Not to rain on your parade but here in CO we are not allowed to use 45 cal on elk :bull: Sorry if I read you post wrong.
Kinda silly sence I can use a 45-70 during rifle season :youcrazy:

Should have made that post a lil more clear. I use the .45 and that load above on deer. I bought a Great Plains .54 flinter for Elk sized game :thumbsup:

"So about anything made by TC would be not traditional?"
I would think most consider most of the TC sidelock traditional, that one made for pellets is another story the TC guns were made with the guns of the past in mind, the modern bullets were not they are a result of moder research, design and development and are far ahead of the period type ballistical that is where the rub comes in, the ML seasons were menat to be a step back in technology and the bullet ,makers went the other direction, if you can't see that then there is littled point in repeating it again, just don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back about you traditional gear which incudes a bullet that is about the same as what you would shoot out of a 45/70 and the gota ride a hores to be traditional is so lame a ten year old could see through it, this has become a joke when people cannot see something so simple it is because they don't want to, thin whole thread reminds me of the Volkswagon that the clowms keep comming out of
each one holding a new design of conical bullet.

I have considered placing you on the ignore list several times. I should have followed my own head and then I would never have seen that last post. I will now correct that problem!

Back