• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Tube For Blowing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoline

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I learned to blow down ML barrels to clear them, and I find the practice is very useful both in killing embers and clearing the hole. But I often shoot at a public range and while it's not an express rule violation to do the blowing, I'm afraid some of these numbskulls may try to emulate me with a smokeless gun. And more importantly after a prolonged session my lips are caked with residue and I end up eating a fair amount of charcoal which can't be good. Also I'm going to do some winter BP shooting this year and it gets well below zero out there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to reopen the debate, I'm wondering what kind of tubes folks have rigged to do clear the tube from the muzzle end. It would need to be flexible enough for a tight fit. Rubber hoses? Snorkels? Do tell Thanks!

I don't use anything. But I had a friend who often complained that not being allowed to blow down the barrel effected his shooting. So I gave him a rubber ducky squease bath toy to use . Now is shooting is just ducky! :rotf: :idunno: :bull:

That's an interesting idea, actually. A little leather sided bellows or some other infernal contraption would appeal to me. I wonder if it could be made to clap on the muzzle end with just period materials. Like something Franklin would have invented if he'd been on crack.

I must admit I've not done what your doing..........but if you could get hold of the blow end a trumpet, trombone or any such type musical instrument you might adapt that for blowing down the barrel. What do I know. :idunno:

Bellows would look neat, but you need the moisture in your breath to make this work.

Home improvement stores sell a rubber tubing, kind of like surgical rubber but about 1/10 the price by the foot. Usually its in the plumbing aisle on those reels where you have a salesman cut off lengths for you. I bought a couple of feet & inserted "plugs" actually tapered hard plugs with a hole in the center, one black & one white. I put one color on each end. I just use that by slipping the black plug over the nipple, or into the barrel & blowing into the white one. Why different colors? Cuz I kept forgetting which end I had in my mouth last. :surrender: The tubing is floppy enough you just coil it up & shove it in your pouch when not being used.

You could cut a strip of leather about 1/2 inch wider then the circumference of the outside of your muzzle. Fold it in half lengthwise and run it through a sewing machine. Turn it inside out so the stitching and extra material are on the inside of what is now essentially a tube. Then after firing, slip one end over your muzzle and put the other end to your mouth and blow.

You could cut it much wider, but still stitch it at the circumference mark, don't turn it inside out and then cut the extra leather into tassle like strips.

Just a thought.

I drilled out the primer end of a .45-70 case and glued a piece of plastic tubing into the expanded primer hole. works fine but I seldom use it except for BPCR.
Regards,
Pletch

Cosmoline,
Why would you bother? If you are concerned about hot embers, just run a damp patch down between shots. The long range black powder cartridge shooters blow into the barrel after shot from the breach end of the barrel They use a flexible tube and do it to prevent the fouling from getting hard in the bore.
Mark

Cosmoline said:
I learned to blow down ML barrels to clear them, and I find the practice is very useful both in killing embers and clearing the hole. But I often shoot at a public range and while it's not an express rule violation to do the blowing, I'm afraid some of these numbskulls may try to emulate me with a smokeless gun.

:shake: why would you think that someone that shoots a modern gun is a numbskull

I don't, but the folks at the state run public range are frequently very inexperienced. I do not want them following my example, and believe me some would. I've seen more than one of them just march right out to the target on a hot range, bullets flying.

Why would you bother? If you are concerned about hot embers, just run a damp patch down between shots.

With a rifle I would, but I do mostly smooth bore shooting these days, and a patch down there seems to stir up all kinds of nasty which then can block the hole. Everything seems to work better if I just leave it be until done with shooting for the day. :grin:

I'll try that tubing idea. I had forgotten that the dampness of the breath is part of the purpose.

Hi, everyone. My name is Joel, and I'm a muzzle-blower.

And an unrepentant one. I prefer to get that warm, moist air through all the convolutions of the patent/chambered breeches that are on every front-stuffer I own.

There used to be commercial ones available, with maybe a foot of Tygon tubing inserted into a green conical soft plastic plug, with a neck lanyard attached. I got a couple and I can use them from my .32 to my 16ga (barely- almost certainly wouldn't seal in a 12ga). My double is the only firearm that I use one with EVERY time - the others mostly when I'm at the range or otherwise "in public", and sometimes in severe cold. I figured that if I had to come up with a semi-historical-correct one, it could be with an L-shaped piece of copper tubing with the short end inserted into a tapered cork or wood plug for the muzzle, and probably a bit of a flare on the blow-into end. Or maybe something like a corncob pipe with a tapered bowl.

Regards,
Joel

I was always told that if your getting embers in the bore is.
1. damp powder not completely burning
2.too much powder not completely burning
Besides blowing down a barrel with unexploded burning powder embers could make kissing the wife a little iffy

The idea is twofold. One, to cause whatever is hot to burn out and/or cool off. Two, to keep the fouling soft enough that prompt reloading is easier and produces a more consistent bore condition. Delay in reloading may negate the second aspect, depending on ambient temperature and humidity.

Regards,
Joel

Back