• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What will you be hunting with this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be hunting with my 50 caliber GPR I made from a kit four years ago. Below is a photo of last years deer taken with a 0.012" patched .490 RB lubed with mink oil, over a 1/8" felt wad, over 60 grains of 2F swiss...which did the job very well on this large body deer.
59715622_759859f29c.jpg

The past couple years I've used the larger .54 & .58cal flintlocks.....this year I feel the tug of the smaller .45 & .50cals.

90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke wonderwad
.018" TC pillow ticking
Hornady .440s and .490s

But I may not know for sure until I go to sleep the night before the opener :grin:

We're getting close...treestands will be going up after Labor Day

AAHHHHH, Crowhop, Roundball's season don't start till AFTER the weddin!, rumor has it he'll miss the first day......but i'll bet he's devoted right after that!! RC

CROWHOP said:
Hey Roundball.When is your season?Mine starts in four weeks.
RC's got a good memory...the Eastern third of the state opens October 7th and I'll be "walking barefoot on the beach" at my Daughters wedding out at the coast.

But to be honest, I only have a small piece of state game lands I can hunt in the early (October) season and it's such a long walk back in there (40mins) I would never shoot a buck back in there...couldn't drag it out...so I'm going back in there a couple Saturdays in October with the .54cal Flint smoothbore / #6's for squirrels.

Then the farm I hunt in the Central zone opens November 4th and I dive in...two weeks vacation and everything else stops...I hunt the rut hard every day from dark to dark...work 3 days...then hunt over Thanksgiving holidays.

I live for the month of November and spend most of it in the woods...beautiful time of year here with the fall foliage at it's peak...good luck with yours

If the powers that be let me, come Oct.21 I'll be hunting deer with a 1850's style 54 cal plains rifle. I'll bet it will be shooting 110 grns ff behind a patched ball. We'll see.

I got 2 days to hunt.They are takin the baby out on sept.11.So it will be a good season either way :grin:

NOTHING :cursing: :cursing:
It's forbidden to hunt in Germany with a muzzleloader. :cursing:
You guys didn't know how lucky you are in the land of free. :grin:
In Germany we say to a hunter:Waidmanns Heil and he answer:Waidmanns Dank.
I don't what you say in the States.
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
NOTHING :cursing: :cursing:
It's forbidden to hunt in Germany with a muzzleloader. :cursing:
You guys didn't know how lucky you are in the land of free. :grin:
In Germany we say to a hunter:Waidmanns Heil and he answer:Waidmanns Dank.
I don't what you say in the States.

I don't know what they say in the States but I say "WAHOOO I'M GOING HUNTING"!!!
Things cooled off here real nice temps were in the fortys yesterday and this morning with a cool Northwest wind.Talk about getting Pumped!!
BTW....Could you translate that bit of German for us?

Waidmanns Heil is an old Germany greeting for an huntsman to wish him luck.A Waidmann is a hunter.The Heil at the end had nothing to do with the Nazi Heil.
Look at the translation hail=heil
Link
P.S. best english/german internet dictionary

BTW.We are having a girl so my daughter has no respect for hunting season either :rotf: Her birthdays will be coming during ML season so I will have to come back from hunting for[url] them.In[/url] a few years she will be at camp with momma and we will have her birthdays there.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read your first Post I immediately wondered if Ihr ist ein Deutch or if you were an American temporarily residing in Germany. Didn't take long to figure out,however! Should have scrolled down to your next Post before trying to figure out your German greetings! Best I could interpret from my German/English dictionary was Hello Workman and Good Luck Workman in reply :haha:.

I'm fascinated with about all things German,and presently trying very badly to learn to speak the language,but it isn't going very well :confused:.

Where are you in Germany? Hope to visit the Schwarzwald some day before I get too old! Many of the forest management practices that we use here originated with German Forsters 300 or more years ago :thumbsup:.

Squirrels (including armadillos,coons,feral house cats,etc): My Gillespie .40cal Rifle made by my associate Billy Harkins: 30gr 3f with a .017 denim patch lubed with bear oil. At 50yds off the bench five rounds will not exceed the diameter of a quarter :bow:.

Bear,hogs,deer (alligator,if it comes into the yard after my dogs): I have a new piece made for me by my friend David Dodds (see the July cover of Muzzle Blasts :winking: ). I don't know whether to call it a rifle,smoothbore,or what! It has lands and furrows, but no twist....runs STRAIGHT from the muzzle to the breech plug! Think I'll just call it a "straight rifle". This piece is pictured on page 224 of Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution". I have a photo,but don't know how to post pictures on the Board :youcrazy:. Anyhow, it's .60cal and likes 80gr 3f, .020 denim patch lubed with bear oil, 60gr 3f with buck and ball or shot.

Actually, my father traveled to Germany years ago to study the the Black Forest. Seems people were complaing that Acid Rain was destroying the forest. After some careful study, he gave them their answer. It was mostly even aged and very old timber. It was simply time for it to die of old age. This was not popular with the environmentalists, but scientists should never be politicians. They should just learn and report the facts.

Back to the hunting guns... I will be hunting with a .62 cal Tulle De Chasse smoothbore for most things, but I may try my .40 Tennessee on rabbits and squirrels and my .50 Lancaster for deer.

CS

Looks like you're right up on the Danish border?

I'm very familiar with that stretch of the Baltic between Hamburg and Malmo!

We have a week long muzzleloader hunt every November for squirrels,hogs and deer.Primitive living in the woods 24 hours a day! Come on over and join us....I'll furnish everything you'll need :thumbsup:.

Any old Oberndorf or Steyr K98k's available over there? Maybe a 1937-1941 all matching numbers,not deactivated :hmm:.

.45 Cal. CVA Kentucky rifle, .445 Hornady round ball. 15 pillow ticking, and 80 grains of Goex FFg for whitetail and the .32 Cal. Traditions Crockett rifle with .310 hornady round ball, 15 pillow ticking and 45 grains of FFg for the smaller stuff. I may use the .50 Pedersoli Kentucky flinter, if time allows.

Back