• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What will you be hunting with this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a member of a 'Schuetzen-Gilde'( Shooters-Guild)? from 1586.We can shoot any gun ,with the exception for full automatic guns.
Black Powder shooting is every Friday & Saturday.
In Germany you must make a hunting license with a State Exam.Price $ 1200+.
Only then you can go hunting.
German Hunting Guns
d-g.jpg

17SafariZF0001gross.jpg

You can hunt: Red Deer, Roe Deer, Wild Boar, Ducks, Goose,Rabbits... .Forbidden to hunt is:Wolf,Bear,Moose,Eagles....
I must say that i didn't like the hunting in Germany.Most of the hunters are sitting on a 'deerstand' and wait.IMO that's no hunting.
:hatsoff:

der Forster said:
Any old Oberndorf or Steyr K98k's available over there? Maybe a 1937-1941 all matching numbers,not deactivated :hmm:.
You mean such a one?
K982.jpg
K981.jpg

K983.jpg

undertaker said:
I'm a member of a 'Schuetzen-Gilde'( Shooters-Guild)? from 1586.We can shoot any gun ,with the exception for full automatic guns.
Black Powder shooting is every Friday & Saturday.
In Germany you must make a hunting license with a State Exam.Price $ 1200+.
Only then you can go hunting.
German Hunting Guns
d-g.jpg

17SafariZF0001gross.jpg

You can hunt: Red Deer, Roe Deer, Wild Boar, Ducks, Goose,Rabbits... .Forbidden to hunt is:Wolf,Bear,Moose,Eagles....
I must say that i didn't like the hunting in Germany.Most of the hunters are sitting on a 'deerstand' and wait.IMO that's no hunting.

Ups i forget this beauty
royaldblrifle_4.jpg

Price:$246093

undertaker said:
You guys didn't know how lucky you are in the land of free. :grin:
undertaker,
The freedom we enjoy was not a matter of
luck...We have paid dearly for those
freedoms!IMHO
snake-eyes :v :v :hatsoff:

.36 cal flintlock for squirrels, 40gr FFFg under a .350 RB and .018" pillow ticking.

.50 cal percussion for deer, 70gr FFFg and a .490 RB with the same patch material.

Ja! Ja! Mein Gott Ja! Das ist es!

1940 Mauser Werke AG, Borsigwalde! Total production was 198,211 and you have one? :bow: :bow:. Are there any special markings on the rear of the bolt? What is the proof mark on the left side of the receiver? Quality 98k's turn up here in the States occasionally, but not too often since the serious collectors have taken them out of circulation.

When Germany was reunified some 15 or so years ago,a number of excellent K98k's came out of the former Eastern Sector,aparently hidden away from the government,but even these have been absorbed by the serious collectors. We do have an abundance of mismatched 98k's available,and a lot of these have been renumbered and remarked to look like originals,but anyone knowledgable of the rifle will usually detect this. I don't have a 98k yet,but when I find the perfect one that I want I WILL buy it. Interested in selling yours? Tell me that your's was issued to the Kreigsmarine and saw service in a Unterseeboot and I'll trade you my entire collection of flintlocks for it :rotf:.

It is a shame that you can't hunt with a Yaeger muzzleloader! I have a very good friend,Ron Ehlert,who makes Yaegers for German and European clients. In fact,he took several over to one of your State Museums several years ago to personally deliver. Perhaps you have seen some of his work or seen the new book just published in Germany on Yaegers which features Ron's work.

Thank you for posting the pictures! Especially for teasing me with the 98k :hatsoff:.

Edit: Ja, I see the Weimar Proof Mark now!

This one. 80gr FFg, pre lubed cushion wad, .595" pacthed RB. The grooves in this one are so shallow, you can't see them. :grin: It will hit 10" gongs consistently at 100yds OH. So, a 60-70 max shot at deer should do.

whole_fusil.jpg

I was shooting in an "elimination" match when I was shooting at those gongs. Lasted longer than a few rifle shooters.

Also planning to shoot it in a couple smoothbore line matches at a local shoot on Labor Day weekend. Its a very fun gun to shoot.

"Opra" my 50 cal Traditions KY stlye, fau=x striped shooter. Using 70grns 3fg, a home made .490 prb using bee's wax, Murphy oil soap and Olive oil patching.

May also use "Mel" my .45 Investarms Hawkin, uses 65 grn 3f a .440 prb. She has taken a few deer over the years

Gave up on my TC Hawken 50. Have never been able to get that thing to hit the 50 yrd target consistently. Think I need to get a GM 54 for it.

Waya :hatsoff:

I'll be hunting with my E R A 62 cal cumberland this yr. A .610 ball over 140 grns of 2f should do nicely .It's a mite heavy to carry all day, but I like it.

der Forster said:
Squirrels (including armadillos,coons,feral house cats,etc): My Gillespie .40cal Rifle made by my associate Billy Harkins: 30gr 3f with a .017 denim patch lubed with bear oil. At 50yds off the bench five rounds will not exceed the diameter of a quarter :bow:.
derForster- Is your Gillespie rifle a replica of the Western North Carolina rifle made by the maker of the same name? I haved looked high and low for one hereabouts (original, that is - but would settle for a replica now). Lucky you with the accuracy, and original Gillespies were renowned for it.

Use a .50 CVA Frontier capper loaded with 70gr. 3f under felt wad under 2 patched RB for whitetail.
Ruger Old Army SS for hog loaded with Lee mould slug over felt wad over 32gr. 3f over .25 acp casefull of 4f.
And some %@!*&^

Usin a 50 cal CVA Bobcat, tried the CVA aero tips but the gun didn't like them. Switched to a .490 PRB with geniune Haynes cotton tee shirt cut to 1 1/2 patch with t/c borebutter over 90gr. pyrodex.
Much better group.

Keep your powder dry.

Lone Carabiner,

Just saw your post and question! Spent last week-end at the CLA in Lexington,then left the first of the week for cataract surgery at the Mayo Clinic and just returned home today :winking:.

The Gillespie is a repoduction of one that we found at my home in the North Greorgia Mountains that was made by John Gillespie probably in the late 1840's. We were at the Transilvania Heritage Days festival in Brevard in late April,and had a couple of reproduced Gillespies along with several originals that we have uncovered around home. Did you get by the Show? My old friend "Popcorn" Sutton was also there with his likker still in the back of his A-Model :rotf:.

If you are interested in a Gillespie I'll IM you my friend and associate's name and address. He will make one to order,but the originals that we have found and acquired aren't available. We are trying to put togather a small museum collection of Gillespies.The Atlanta,Ga. Historical Society also has several Gillespies in their museum collection. Dennis Glazener who wrote the book on Gillespie Rifles is also a collector,and he rakes the Mountains with a fine-tooth comb looking for Gillespies,so if he gets there first,it's too late :grin:.

I will be using a 50 cal. GPR with .018 pillow ticking and .490 round ball and Pyrodex RS because I cant find any Goex ffg powder around here anymore.90 grains of powder and will be going after whitetail deer and coyotes.

So far I've used a .32 Crockett/.310 ball/ticking/bore butter/20grains 3F Goex,
and a .56 Renegade smoothbore/1oz #6/sticky note shotcup/ nitro card/50 grains 2F Goex
for squirrels.

Might bring the Renegade along for doves too. Season opens tomorrow. Gotta work but I'll be out Sunday.

Modern stuff for waterfowl.

For deer I'll use one or the other GPR's,
.54 flintlock/.530 ball/ticking/borebutter/80 grains 3F Goex or,
.50 caplock/.490 ball/ticking/bore butter/70 grains 3F unless I find a better load by then.

Might bring along my .44 Super Blackhawk during firearm season too since they won't let me carry a BP pistol during firearm season :youcrazy: . (And the .44 is a sweet gun. It's a Super Blackhawk built on a Blackhawk frame, 4 3/8", stainless, 1 of 1000.)
The GPR barrels might be too long for the REALLY close shots.
Heck, mightn' I'll hafta nudge 'em a lil bit further out afore I kin aim ta th' near side. :grin:

Latest posts

Back