• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What will you be hunting with this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Ron Paull flinter. It's a .40 cal. iron mounted Tennessee rifle. It's a tack driver out to 100 yds (maybe farther with better eyes than mine! :bow: ). I've had the rifle for quite some time and it was love at first "sight", as it's one of those rifles that fit you so well you probably don't need the sights. Honestly, I can put the rifle to my shoulder with my eyes closed, and when I open my eyes, the front sight is sitting in the rear sight notch at perfect elevation and windage. I have shot deer and rabbits with it and if I can find some "tree rats"in Montana I'll give it a try on THEM!(I'm in the south-central area). For larger game I have a .54 cal. smooth rifle that I bought last year from TOTW. I have no idea who made it but it's pretty PC for the Rev War and later (damned acorn trigger guard!). It has a 44 inch swamped, half round, colrain barrel , a Caywood lock, sugar maple stock of an early lancaster style(2 in.+ butt, baulister wrist, cheekrest, very thin forearm, single trigger). It will put all its .520 rb / .020 patch shots in a 3 inch paster at 50 yds. Some day when I have time I would like to post some pictures of this piece. I would really like to have some of the more PC knowledgable types take a look at this gun and tell me when they think an appropriate time period would be for it (I would REALLY like to know who made it!! :hmm: ). I'll take this one deer hunting this season. I love the smell of black powder burning in the morning :grin: !!
TDW

Drillings are fascinating and beautiful mechanisms.
The perfect 2 gun arsenal would be a 7X57R/16 gauge drilling and a 16 gauge english flint fowler!

Getting back to the original thread. Will carry a 50 cal Chambers York longrifle into the Tiadaghton forest this year. PRB, 80 gns 3F.

Going to use my Big 58 Hawken I built with the .575/288grn round balls pushed by 120 grns of 2F Black Powder. Going up north to the Adirondack Mts. for Black Bear and maybe a deer if I stay long enough.

Good luck to all this year and post some pictures of the hunt when yall get back.

rabbit03

First ML hunt in 9 years. Drew Muley Doe tags in Colorado. Using Cabela's Red River Hawken, .54cal, 390gr Hornady Great Plains HB-HP, 80gr Goex 3F. First hunt with my 12-yr-old son along :) (not big enough for the rifle yet :( ). Don't know if he or grandpa is more excited.

I'll be hunting deer and hog in East Texas with .54 GPR, squirrels & coyotes with .45 GM barrel T/C, and carrying a .50 Traditions Kentucky pistol just because. Good Hunting to all.

Vern said:
First ML hunt in 9 years. Drew Muley Doe tags in Colorado. Using Cabela's Red River Hawken, .54cal, 390gr Hornady Great Plains HB-HP, 80gr Goex 3F. First hunt with my 12-yr-old son along :) (not big enough for the rifle yet :( ). Don't know if he or grandpa is more excited.
You must have got the same units I got.I must have missed ya.

Lyman left-hand Deerstalker .54 percussion for elk in October here in WA. Haven't settled on the load yet, working on that at the range. Might use the same gun for Kentucky whitetails back at my brother-in-law's farm back home, although I'll be there during the modern season in November. If I go modern for deer, it'll be my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57. Then, I may do the late blacktail muzzleloader season back here in WA in December. Cool, three months, three seasons! Should be fun no matter what the result. ;)

Liam

CVA Kentucky .45 with 30grs. FFFG .015pillow tick patch for tree rats..
T/C flinter in .54 with 80 grains FFFG, .015 pillow tick for deer...
Both throwing round balls...Bud

Will once again be carrying my Traditions Hawken Woodsman in .50 Flint (.490 RB & 70grains fff).
hawken.jpg
[/img]

Legion

Deer with a .54 T/C New Englander that was a salvaged rust ball using 90gr FFG and a PRB. I'm looking for a cheap .32 for squirrel season. I won't get much hunting in this year due to short time and money.

Traditions has their Deer Hunter in .32 cal on sale. Dheck here.[url] http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Bargain+Bin:+Rifles[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I hope you had better luck than we did. Three rifles and we only saw three deer not on private property. I came closest, about 30 yds, but couldn't get a clear view of the vitals, so passed on the shot for vittles :( . As Ted Nugent said “The meat will come, but the heartbreak of a bad hit and a lost animal is mental trauma difficult to cleanse”¦.” Saw a couple of hundred elk on private property. But had a great time with family up there.

Thanks Rebel. That's a good price alright, but there's no way I'm shootin' one of those. It has a plastic stock! :grin:

Latest posts

Back