• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your range and accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boudreaux

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just what it says guys, What is your effective range with your pistol and let see some groups.
Thanks
Boswell

For a torso-sized target my current range with my Walker Colt is approx. 135 yards. This was at several regular meetings of one of the clubs that my son and I belong to.

Up close at 25 yards during another club's black powder novelty shoots I've hit the center of a lid of a tin of percussion caps.

Don't have photos, but can provide link to club's web site where newsletters can be viewed as proof.

Various other paper targets, gongs and other targets are all done at distances from 25-100 yards.

Dave

I would say my effective range is about 70 yards. I have a Remmy and a Traditions Kentucky. The kentucky I have good accuracy at 25 and 50 yards and can hit a target at 100 yards. The remmy needs practice. I can get em all on the target at 25 yards, all of them on the paper at 50 yards and no chance in hell at 100 yards. that is all offhand-no rests.

Well, my average effective group with my Remmy is about 2 to 2 1/2" from a rest at 15 yards. Probably 4" off hand. I'm not sure beyond that because I'm still working out the kinks.

A torso-sized (18" x 24") steel silhouette at 100 yards at my club range is almost a "gimmie" for both my T/C Patriot and my ROA. Either one can also hit the 9" diameter metal flapper in the center of said target, with regularity.

I typically group under 4 inches at 35 yds with a traditions Wm Parker .50.
Sometimes I have the occasional flyer, but 9 out of 10 will group!

I am not concerned with groupings as such. I am more concered with hitting body mass at distance. Hey if I can hit the body on a target siloutte at 25-50yds(more than I will ever need) I am happy. Since most shots fired in self defense run in the 10-15 foot distance. I ain't worried. Now what you need to do is to attend one of the "what if" classes. "What if" your laying in bed and have to grab and fire and hit from your back across your body? "what if" you have to fire and hit with your weak hand the same way? "What if" you have to fire and hit while on your knees? Very seldom do you have the opportunity and time to get a nice stable footed, 2 handed grip with unlimited time to line up on your targets bullseye. Heck with groupings, just be able to hit what your aiming at. Practice the unconventional positions, (even upside down laying on your back) when you can hit the target with all 5, 6 or even your 1 single shot then your geting somewhere.

I have 3 B/P percussion revolvers,
.45 Oldarmy,.45 walker colt SM,and a .36 Navy Piaeta. All will group well at 25yds.They will shoot the first few cylinders better then I can hold them. Primitive sights, but that's what they were designed with. The accuracy gets worse as they are fired.
As far as flintlock pistols.. Only shoot smoothbores :grin:
Found from trial and error at 25yds there isn't any difference. I am sure that statement will get a few comments :surrender:
Smmothbores are just easier to load,and more versatile.
Nothing like a .62 full of lead shot :surrender:

I agree 100% with the odd positions...that's why I'm a member of and shoot matches at IPSC/USPSA as well as IDPA. Granted their using modern revolvers or 1911's, but the idea of shooting defensively while riding a lawn mower, getting mail from the mail box, shooting while seated, shooting weak-hand only, etc. is routine at these events and makes you think! That's why I love all of the different aspects of the diverse disciplines that I shoot.

Again, an interesting point of view!

Dave

Now that I have a nice supply of soft lead from rotometals, I can start casting some .451 round ball for my 1851 cap & ball. Will post pics next time I shoot

My best shooter would be my Uberti Walker. Here's a pic of fairly standard shooting at 50yd, two-handed with no support:
Walker2.jpg

For torso-sized targets, anything out to 100yds is fair game... I've kept four out of six shots on a 6" gong at 100yds on numerous occasions. :thumbsup:

55gr Graf's 3F, Hornady .454 ball, Crisco over the ball and a CCI #11 magnum cap.

ChairForce1 said:
That little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.
First shot from a clean barrel was the center hit, next four went into the group at 12 o'clock and the last shot... well... dunno what happened there. :redface:

redwing said:
IMG_0061_1.jpg

25 Yds. 35/3f and a .457 Rb. from rest 6 shots.

Nice shootin! :hatsoff:

And they say that revolvers aren't accurate!

I guess that that revolver isn't for sale, right? Just kidding!

Dave

Now that's fine shootin' right there! :hatsoff:

Pretty well blows the notion of "inaccurate blackpowder pistols" out of the water doesn't it?

Back