• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel Lock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just before Christmas, I received an Indian made wheel lock pistol from Loyalist Arms in Nova Scotia. The thing is a massive two-foot long. The weather is atrocious here in Minnesota, so it will have to sit until Spring. I need to find a BP smith who can proof it for me, as I am a suburbanite with no options to do it myself. I have tested the lock, and I do get spark. I may never shoot it regularly, but it will be sad if it never fulfills it's purpose in the universe :blah:

I would appreciate any comments from folks who have shot this 'model' with any helpful hints. Any general thoughts regarding shooting reproduction wheel locks would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

That looks like my critter. I presumed Indian - this is made in the Czech Republic?

If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I will.

Do you cast your own shot? If not, where do you purchase the .580 ball?

How many grains of FFFg do you typically load? I am actually interested in a minimum safe load rather than max.

Thanks for sharing.

I have an "Indian" wheel-lock purchased from Loyalist Arms in Canada a few years ago. It is actually .62 caliber and I shoot .600 patched round balls with 60 grains of Goex FFg powder. I have been using cut pyrites for ignition which is occasionally erratic. Pyrites last only 4 to 6 shots and appear to be adversely affected by touch-hole blast. Usually, I can "dress" pyrites on my lapidary wheel to get a few more shots from them. Pyrite shape and quality appears to be critical in getting these guns to ignite reliably. I have experimented with various Ferrocerium "fire-starter" sparking material but found good sparks but poor ignition.

I proofed my own barrel by tying it to a truck tire and using a long string to touch it off. My proof load was 100 grains of FFg and two .60 patch round balls. Careful measurements after each of five shots showed no expansion/swelling or visible cracks. My only issue is the pan cover which functions correctly about half the time. I usually shot the gun with the pan cover retracted which works just fine.

I now know why the flintlock was invented. Wheel locks are pretty interesting but really fussy and very complicated. Kind of like most "German engineering."

They were delicate too. Ironically, while the wheel lock made cavalry pistols practical for the first time, dropping one on horseback usually caused enough damage to the mechanism to keep it from firing. They look great but I have never had the desire to own one.

Back