• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where Do You Carry Yr. Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoline

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Y'all have been so helpful I thought I'd bug you with another newbie question. I've got my No. 11 caps and my possibles bag, but I don't really want the twain to meet as there may be powder in a measure or holder in the bag. Am I being paranoid, or should I keep the caps in a special separate place? If so, what works best?

I carry my caps in a Ted Cash capper and powder in a metal flask; both are often resident in a leather possible bag. Unless there is some wierd contraption in your bag that can somehow strike the caps in a manner that would set them off (an impact, or shock, load, like a gun hammer does), you have nothing to worry about.

I have them in a capper and its on a leather strap around my neck. While hunt or shooting I just tuck it under my shirt or jacket. That way its out of the weather and out of the way. My capper holds about 10 or more caps so no need to bring more while hunting. If I'm at the range I just bring the range box and refill the capper as needed.

YOu are being paranoid. Sorry. But its true. The caps need to be impacted, with a hammer on one side, and supporting anvil on the inside, in order to fire. Unless you are pouring powder into your bag in large quantities, I can't think of any way you can get the two together to cause ignition.

I use a Tedd Cash capper for my caps. Powder goes in my horn, or in pre-measured plastic tubes in the bag, when its very wet outside during a hunt.

About once a year, if I don't forget, I remove everything from the bag, and dumpout any debris, including gun powder that may have fallen into the bag. Mostly its sticks, and twigs, and leaf debris from carrying it in the woods.

i just keep the caps in there original tin then put the tin inside my possibles bag

I do the same with a homemade leather capper. Out of the weather but still easily pulled out to cap after loading. My cappers are usually a simple round disk with holes punched around the rim and them slit through from the outside. My current one is a half round cause I cut it in half last september when one of my hunting companions found he had no capper. :haha:

Caps are as stable as centerfire primers. Probably more so since they lack the built in anvil. I've crushed them on pavement with my boot heel, etc., and never managed to make one pop other than on a gun. They aren't going to go off from being dropped, or by having something in your bag hit them. If they were prone to going off on their own, a can of 100 would be plenty to worry about on it's own!

I have always just kept mine in their can and tossed it into the bag. Lately I've been keeping them in small wooden boxes because I'm getting self conscious about modern stuff in my bag. I think the folks here are rubbing off on me!

Anyway, don't sweat it. Carry them however you feel safest and don't let it bother ya.

Cosmoline,
Welcome to the MLF! At the range I keep my
caps in the container they came in.When on a hunt
I keep them in an upper inside shirt pocket.Treat
caps just like powder and remember "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
snake-eyes:hmm:

I carry the tin of caps in my possibles bag or a pocket............I then put a dozen or so in a pocket with noting else in there but the caps..........I reach in a pocket and grab a cap.........IIRC I believe it was Ned Roberts? who wrote "Shooting the Muzzleloading caplock rifle who said he carried his caps in is pocket....Although I do have a hankering for one of thos Tedd Cash Capper thingies someday.................Bob

When I'm out with the SXS, I carry the caps in a plastic "star" capper on a lanyard around my neck. There, also, is a Ted Cash capper that lives in the possibles bag.
Pete

A leather capper can be made at no cost. Consider the book.

Making Muzzleloading Accessories by R. H. McCrory

Cosmoline,

In their tin box in an inner pocket of the possibles bag. No problem at where I shoot pie plates or walking the land :)

James Taylor

cosmolione, there was a Charlie Brown comic strip where Charlie was explaining to Lucy how he studied all night for the test and how he worried and worried, and Lucy said 'how did you do on the exam,' and Charlie said "i got an A- i wasted a perfectly good worry.'

whay you're doing here is wasting a good worry- these little guys are perfectly safe unless you put them on a nipple and make the hammer bash into the top of them.

i've rolled over them with an automobile tire (don't ask) and i've stepped on the (both dirt and concrete, again- don't ask). nothing happened except i ruined a bunch of caps. i suppose that you might set one off if you put in on an anvil and whacked it with a hammer, but then if they're in your pocket and someone is whacking you with a hammer, you have more important things to worry about than your caps going off.

welcome to the fascinating and universally addictive world of smoke making... now watch out for us flint guys, for if you are turned to the dark side, you'll start getting all excited about sharp little bits of rock, and all your friends at work will think you're wierd.

I've used a Ted Cash straight line capper for years. Fits in a small loop inside my hunting pouch and have never had any problem with it.

I keep mine in my capper. The only gun that I have that uses caps is my double barrel shotgun.I spring turkey hunt with it. The last thing I need is something rattling around and making noise when I'm sneaking into the woods trying to set up on a bird.Ssettle

If you carry a capper in your shirt pocket under a jacket, no amount of " rattling" of the caps will be heard beyond a foot. If a turkey gets that close, just strangle it. :rotf:

I wear a men's size 11EEE boot, and I was able to walk within 10 feet of a man, sitting down with his back against a tree, next to the trail I was following, and he neither saw or heard me. The trail was covered in dried Oak and Maple, and Hickory leaves, and they sounded like breaking glass, and crumpling newspapers, all together, when you walk on them. Throw in the sound of snapping twigs.

I succeeded by using a " Fox Walk" technique, where the shoe or boot is places flat before it is allowed to push down on whatever is under it. You have to bend your knees, and keep your weight on your back foot while placing the front foot, to do this. YOU can still hear the sounds of the leaves, and sticks, crunching and breaking, because sound travels much faster through bone, than through the air. But people standing just 6 feet( and some closer) from you will not hear the sound, and animals, which admittedly have much better hearing, and also feel vibrations through their feet, also don't hear the sounds.

I am personally convinced that we worry too much about sounds, particularly when we hunt in inhabited rural " farm " lands, where the animals are well used to hearing " People noises". In Wild Country, however, such noises will alert the animals, because they are not used to having people around them, nor our smells, or our machines. Guys who spend big bucks to camoflage their guns, don't hesitate to drive a noisy truck, or 4-wheeler into a hunting area.

Go figure. :hmm: :thumbsup:

I used to use one of the Cash capping tools when I shot cappers, also just let them lay in the bottom of the bag, just shoot flinters now so there's one less thing to worry about the how to/where to.

I just picked up a cash capper this weekend. Wow,thats a great tool! No more constantly loading caps. And I like how they are covered until you want to dispense one.

Cosmoline, I got it at sportsmans in anchorage. it was on sale for 15.00 I think. I think there was one left.

Or if you want you can have one of my inline cappers, Im pretty much through with them! I got 3 before I found one that was halfway reliable.

You can buy a reproduction of a leather civil war cap pouch that attaches to the right-front of your belt. They cost from $14 to $30 depending on where you buy them and how authentic the reproduction is. They were used in the civil war by both sides. The better reproductions have a double flap to keep out moisture and a wool liner to keep the caps from rattling around and keep you from scattering them all over the place. They are as handy as a shirt pocket.

I have three or four different styles of cap pouches but the best and last one I purchased was from Blockade Runner( http://blockaderunner.com )in Wartrace Tennessee. It is a excellent reproduction of a black leather Confederate style cap pouch with a single back strap. It cost $14 plus $10 shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back