• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Ga Kibler Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking at building my first kit gun. The Kibler kits seem like a good one to start with but I am open to other suggestions. My main use would be hunting small game with shot and also some target shooting with round balls. At some point I know I would want to try turkey hunting with it. I am new to smoothbore black powder and have been going back and forth on if i want to get the 16 or 20 Ga.

If your small game shooting with shot is just "pot" shots at still game i would go with the 20. If you want to shoot moving targets with shot I would definitely use the 16.

Good morning, County.
Capt. Jas. Brings up a very good point something to consider.

I would go with the 20ga. You can definitely hunt turkey with it. After test and developing loads, you would be good to go.
I would want to hunt deer and wild hog with it also. So I would be using PRBs and or Bare Balls.
Jim recommends the 20ga for shooting PRBs, that's why I would go with the 20ga.
Best of luck. Either way you will enjoy assembling your Fowler. Take your time and practice.

Take Care Stay Safe
GSML

My small game hunting would mostly be squirrels but we also hunt rabbits with beagles and I do some bird hunting. I would try hunting these with it but not sure how much. I’m thinking I may start with the 20 Ga. May just have to eventually get the 16 Ga also.

If you're wanting to shoot just shot, the 16 gauge is what you want.

Ball or both? The 20.

The 16 gauge is going to be lighter in the barrel, easier to carry, swing better. More appropriate for birding. Sounds like the 16 is what you're after. The 16 will shoot ball fine, but is more costly and might not be as accurate, plus could have greater recoil than the 20.

Back