• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which smoothbore would you pick and why? English Fowler or virginia smooth rifle? To be used with prb and shot to hunt and shoot paper. :hmm:

I WOULD GO WITH THE SMOOTH RIFLE LOOK OF THE VIRGINIA JUST BECAUSE I LIKE THE WAY THE LOOK. I HAVE TWO ONE IN 62 AND ONE IN 54
CURT

Mike, is a Verginia smooth bore pc if it has a oct to round barrel? The reason I ask is I really like the extra wood carving on the Virginia pieces but like the lighter weight of the English fowler which I think can be atributed to the oct to rnd barrel.If i'm right the Virginia stock has the same basic lines of the English. Am I correct or way off the map. I really dont plan on doing any reinacting since Im down here in Texas but you never know and I think it would be a real plus to have a pc gun.
Thanks for your time.

Nathan

Nathan B. said:
Mike, is a Verginia smooth bore pc if it has a oct to round barrel? The reason I ask is I really like the extra wood carving on the Virginia pieces but like the lighter weight of the English fowler which I think can be atributed to the oct to rnd barrel.If i'm right the Virginia stock has the same basic lines of the English. Am I correct or way off the map. I really dont plan on doing any reinacting since Im down here in Texas but you never know and I think it would be a real plus to have a pc gun.
Thanks for your time.

Nathan

Yes oct/rnd is OK. All Virginia guns are not the same, just as the Penn. guns wern't . you'll find schools of Virginia made rifles that have stepped wrists and are as german as all get out. Many variables in styles. Thers's alot of "generic" Virgina rifle stuff being peddaled on the market these days. What makes them "Virginia" has me scratching my head....
If I were going to shoot mostly PRB I'd go with a smooth rifle with a swamped octagon barrel. If I were going to shoot mostly shot i'd go with a fowler with a light barrel. If you're going to do some of both I'd flip a coin. Are you going to use a rear sight?

No I will try shooting without one for a while, I think I should be able to learn to shoot well enough? How much heavier is the swamped oct ove the oct to rnd? My plans are to learn to shoot the rifle well enough to hunt deer and possibly elk with prb and shoot mostly qual and a turkey or two a year with shot. If I cant become effeciant enough with prb I would probibly want a southern style rifle in 54 later. But I think the smooth bore gun would be a lot of fun.And if others can shoot theirs out to 75 yards I'm willing to put in the time and learn to do the same.

How much heavier is the swamped oct ove the oct to rnd
Just depends on the profile you get. Either one can be heavier than the other, just depends on the profile, or wall thickness of the barrel.
What manufacturer are you planing on getting your gun from? With that answered maybe some of the guys here could give you some input on the weight of the gun.

I have been putting alot of thought into trying to build my own rifle. If I were to go with the swamped oct who builds the lightest .62 cal. 44" long? Would I be right to assume that a verginia rifle would have a longer barrel like 44" or would 38" be considerd pc also?

I have a Chambers 42" .62 swamped oct smoothrilofe, I do not find it uncomfortable to carry or shoot I have never weighed it but would guess at around 9 lb. but it balances very well. you really need to find a place to put a heavy bore swamped barrel gun to your shoulder that will tell you more than any of us can.

I'd call Buckeye barrels and see what they have. 38" would be fine, altho the longer barrel would probably shoot a little better.
If I were going to mainly shoot PRB and only occasionally shoot shot I'd put on a low front and rear sight.

Back