• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who else has "given up" trekking/re-enacting. Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree: I like what Smoked said. Heck, I like what everybody has said here. I'm one of those guys who would like to have perfectly authentic clothes, leather gear and speak fluent Lenape. But I'm not. I can make my own ironwork and build my own rifle, but I cain't sew a lick (I'm going to try to learn) and the only language I know is Southern Mountain English. I don't have enough money to buy the best longhunter clothes and I cain't afford to pay someone to teach me an Indian language or French or any other. In other words, I make do with what I have. And like Smoked said, sometimes we have to settle for something "close enough".I've had to settle for something "nowhere near" a lot of times. I agree that whether at Rendezvous (did I spell that right?), re-enactments or just plain shooting matches, we need a mix of people who are knowledgable about every aspect of the hobby. If you find yourself in the midst of a group of clothing/leather experts, gun experts, cookware/camp gear experts and Indian lore/pioneer lore experts and they are willing to make you welcome and teach you and be a friend to you, you'd better hang on to them for dear life. At the same time, be their friend. Be willing to listen. Sometimes I've found that it's better if I keep my mouth shut and just listen. If you have any doubts about what somebody tells you, sometimes it doesn't hurt to get a second or maybe a third opinion. Before you know it, some of them may come to you for advice. (I know, there are some who already know it all.) Main thing is, show yourself to be friendly and willing to learn and you'll find somebody who is friendly and willing to teach. There! I've said enough. Why didn't somebody stop me from rambling on?

Bob :m2c:

Ranger,.... I think you said thet purty darned good!! :thumbsup:

...... and for those of us, thet do git some good information from fellas whats done the "research" plus learned the "skills", let's show'em a liddle "appreciation" whenever they help us!!

YMHS
rollingb

Hey RollinB, That Kanawha Ranger is my pard he's a the newest member of my primitive club. He's been shootin them Traditional muzzleloaders for a long time. Have him tell you about them nuts in the Civil War re-enactors that go so far as to infect themselves with lice to be pc! :youcrazy: :crackup: :crackup:

That's crazy in my book! There's such a thing as carrying it to far! He's right though Tex you're going to be a member of the TMA so try and make it to our rendezvous we're planning on having with Stumblin Buffler and Buckskinner Magazine.

I guarantee you'll have a good time. That's what we are all about! Ol Kanawha Ranger there he's been shootin' with me and my bunch now for over a year! I want you to look at his pc outfit you'll like it!

BobBird.jpg

Looks like he fits right in don't he. He's the one with the desert camo and the cam corder on his side! We all treat him just the same as if he was dressed like Mel Gibson in The Patriot!

Your Friend,
Chuck Goodall
TMA President
Hunting Editor
Buckskinner Mag
Kanawha Ranger Scribe ..... (Dang my tag's gettin' too long)!!

Ah can honestly say thet ah are glad ah are a mountain man, and ah are "lice-free" ever since become'n one!! :shocking: :crackup:

(Ah wouldn't trade any'a my "ticks" fer no 'mount'a them "lices"??) :hmm: :haha: :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

I left the N-ssa because of the arguing over the uniforms and the lack of historical knowledge. They took the fun out of the whole experience. They scorned people over their clothing while they choked down using guns that never saw service in the War. If I wanted to be around hyprocrits I would go to church. :imo:

Zonie, a good post! I agree withwhat you said, especially about the forum thing...I used to post on another forum, some sort of "hide", but I quickly became discoured and left after a short time.

I like this forum due to it's format, the people (I've felt very welcome here) I feel as though this group has welcomed me with open arms, there are honest to god builders on this site that actually build things (not just rifles), the arguements are genuine, the humor is hillarious....this is like an internet rondyvous.

I attend only one small 'voo in the summer, I love it. Actually, I am a demonstrator that keeps the crowd entertained...it's great fun. I am planning on attending another, though, just to see what it is like as being an attendent.

hey, don't give up..

There! I've said enough. Why didn't somebody stop me from rambling on?

Bob :m2c:

Hey Ranger...you've been rambling on.....how's that? And what the heck is "Southern Mountain English"? I read your post, then I re-read it, read it again for a third time and I couldn't see what you're talking about. Looks like plain old everyday use english to me!

If you want to see a guy with some speech patterns that are truly different just look at Rollinb's post....good godfrey!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:m2c: PC

Politicaly correct

Period correct

not much difference, spelling and evidently (in some cases) attitude

:imo:

rayb

We had a unit in Virginia who were designated as PC inspectors who gigged a guy in a sister regiment for his glasses even though he had documentation showing that they were correct for the period.

Well - FWIW - anytime I have to even remotely think that I would have to carry documentation (are you kidding me?) for anything I'm wearing or carrying - that's the day I know I have run out of truly meaningful things to do.

Smoked - You say
It's a HOBBY
From what I've seen, saying that is like telling an NFL player, "It's just a GAME."

No Thanks!

Just :m2c:

YOU CANNOT QUIT AN ACTIVITY THAT YOU NEVER STARTED!

this discussion has been going on since 1961 when the Civil War Centenial began.

I could/have write pages of explaination on documentation, historical correctness, mind set, conduct at events, enjoynment of the activity, and general politeness.

I guess after all of the posts I have done I have not explained participation accurately after all.

"a breed apart that make no sense"?

It is basically a mental thing and if one decides not to understand, all of the explaination in the world will not justify the thought processes to anyone.

How many folk quit drinking because they run into a rude drunk in a bar?

How many quit driving due to rush hour road rage incidents?

what I hear in this dicsussion is a number of people that have gone to events with a chip on their shoulder looking for a reason they should not take part,

or waiting to be begged into joining.

When someone comes to my campsite with a bad attitude I sometimes roll my eyes too!

Our sport has several "groups":

shooters (muzzleloaders with no histroical interest),

Rondy folk (social campers who do or do not shoot),

reenactors (history based participats that own guns as props and may or may not shoot)

Shooters do not have to engage in reenacrment and reenactors do not have to be target shooters.

Additionally, each group has its fair share of butt-holes scattered through the ranks that even insult the members of their own group!

Total immersion into any phase of the sport is not mandatory, nor is participation in every aspect of the sport, and one group is not necessarily better than another.

One wades into the pool as deeply as one desires. Not everyone whishes to swim and not everyone should.

:results:

Reenacting isn't for everyone, but then again many folks enjoy it and are willing do what needs to be done to become part of a particular group if they truly want to be part of it. When this is the case and they are showing an interest, and making an honest attempt at it, there should be no problem.

If a person comes into an encampment with the attitude that they do not need to follow the rules, or even make an honest attempt at following the rules, then that camp of folks who are following the rules are better off without that individual.

There are two sides to every story, and I'd like to know the complete story of the "rolling eyes" incident, by hearing from both sides before I passed judgement on any reenacting encampments.

I've been buckskinning a long time and have never ran into any problems. Why? Because I respect what I want to do enough to do what is needed so as not to create a problem. My family and I always strive to become part of the group, not seperate from the group.

We have never had a problem with answering anyones questions on visiting day, and have always made those passing through our camp feel at home.

As I said, I'd like to hear both sides of the story.

How many folk quit drinking because they run into a rude drunk in a bar?

I get a lot of free half-full drinks that way. ::

There lots of gray areas and areas of overlap as to why each of us is involved at whatever level in muzzleloading. Personally, I am fascinated with old technology and am keenly interested in history, but I less interested in the "acting" aspects.

I'm interested in women, but I don't need to dress like them to get satisfaction in that regard.

Trekking holds great fascination with me, but that is something done alone or in small groups. Even then, the ONLY way to know you are "doing it right" as far as the experimental archeology is to limit yourself to items that can be historically documented to that specific period, which presumably you have some envolvement with or it would be just a hunt or hike and not a "trek". Whether you care to be 100% authentic, somewhat authentic, or just "I'll be back in three months, Ma" is your choice and right. UNLESS you present yourself to a group or organization you wish to be a part of that sets specific standards for correctness. You can't control their reaction to you, but you can control your reaction to them. If they ****** you off, it's because you allowed it to happen.

The only way to sharpen a knife is to rub it against something harder, sometimes abrasive. You can either welcome their input and file it away for future action, or ignore them. The only way to learn is to admit ignorance. That's a concept difficult to most adults, especially those heavily invested before advice was given. That applies to gear and conceptions. There will also be times when you're given bum advice, so keeping a healthy scepticism can lead you to channeling some of your anger into added research or fact hunting.

Accurate reenactment requires a huge investment of time and funds, and those that think they have it down have a motivation to prove it by critiquing those they deem less ept. Whether through motherly nurturing, fatherly clobbering or brotherly heckling depends on the individual. Thank them for taking an interest and move on.

I'll never give up trekking. So long as I can drag myself out of the house my attitude and equipment will share some aspects with the thousands of generations of humans who were drawn to be predaceous or touch something spiritual in the outdoors. Whether my baby steps in equipment "upgrades" ever get to the point of authenticity for 1790 is secondary to whether I enjoy myself and the welcome company of like minded friends.

Texikan,
Hello, my name is Wil and I'm a threadcounter. I'm also what I consider a newbie friendly reenacter. Is all my stuff PC all the time, NO, but that is what I'm striving for and I encouage others, greenhorns and hivernauts alike,to strive for also. In the same grain, I'll not bad mouth anyone until they fire the 1st shot. Then they had better hang on to their slouch hat. Because I can be as big a prick( As I stated on another thread about critics) as anyone. But I do my best not to, and I try to help as many folks as I can, newbie or otherwise. So with that said I would like to quote a very wise man.
"Folks who live in paper house's should not play with matches'
So don't hate us because we're threadcounters, most of us are good guy's. :nono:
Wil

"History preserved, though knowledge shared."

There are two sides to every story, and I'd like to know the complete story of the "rolling eyes" incident, by hearing from both sides before I passed judgement on any reenacting encampments.

Joe,.... I agree!! :thumbsup:

....... but I will admit to "rolling my eyes" from time to time!!

.... like when a pilgrim and his family stopped in front of my camp, and the pilgrim declared as "fact" to his wife and children,... "those old guns can't kill anything farther then 40-50 feet away",...!!

I calmly sat ther and "rolled my eyes"!! :rolleyes: :youcrazy:

I had a pilgrim lady ask me once,.... "how old does a deer have to be, before it becomes an elk"??

I've had a pilgrim "tell me",.... thet mountain men caused the extinction of all the buffalo!!

However, the "winner" has to be,.... (when I overheard a pilgrim) father tell'n his son, while pointing towards the fellas shooting muzzleloaders,... "Custer lost the Indian Wars, because all he had was old rifles like those (point' his finger) thet you drop a cartridge down the barrel to load.

I calmly sat ther and "rolled my eyes",.... while writ'n down this liddle "gem" of historical/muzzleloader information!!!! :rolleyes: :haha:

YMHS
rolling-eyes-b :crackup:

Joe,.... I agree!! :thumbsup:

....... but I will admit to "rolling my eyes" from time to time!!

.... like when a pilgrim and his family stopped in front of my camp, and the pilgrim declared as "fact" to his wife and children,... "those old guns can't kill anything farther then 40-50 feet away",...!!

I had a pilgrim lady ask me once,.... "how old does a deer have to be, before it becomes an elk"??

I've had a pilgrim "tell me",.... thet mountain men caused the extinction of all the buffalo!!

However, the "winner" has to be,.... (when I overheard a pilgrim) father tell'n his son, while pointing towards the fellas shooting muzzleloaders,... "Custer lost the Indian Wars, because all he had was old rifles like those (point' his finger) thet you drop a cartridge down the barrel to load.

I calmly sat ther and "rolled my eyes",.... while writ'n down this liddle "gem" of historical/muzzleloader information!!!! :rolleyes: :haha:

YMHS
rolling-eyes-b :crackup:

That's funny RB... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

My life is a lot less complex...on Saturday mornings I pull on a pair of blue jeans & tennies, grab a non-PC TC Hawken Flintlock off the rack, store made balls, premeasured charges in film canisters, and a priming horn with a brass plunger valve...go to the range and have a terific time shootin' paper, cans, steel, clods of dirt, etc...answer to no-one about any of it except myself...come home, clean'er up in the garage while drinking coffee and watching the news.

"and it was good"

:redthumb:

I always "shut up and listen" and I have never approached anyone with any sort of attitude or a "chip on my shoulder". That is not my style. In fact, I probably tend to be overly-gracious because I truly appreciate it when somebody answers a question about a particular period item. After all, he/she is not obligated to answer a single question of mine and I realize that.

When I started on this "journey" I had no plans to ever even go to a rendezvous really. My plans were simply to do historical trekking mostly on my own or maybe with one or two other people if the opportunity presented itself. I assumed (wrongly apparently) that those who have similar interests would be open to discussion about the interest. That is the case in other interests that I have had.

I am not trying to be part of any group. I am somewhat of a loner actually. In fact, the persona that I was working on would practically guarantee that I wouldn't fit into any group. That isn't by choice, but instead because of my interest in that particular time/location.

So, before someone asks, "Then what are you worried about. If you don't want to be part of a group...".
I don't want to be "one of those guys", and I don't want to be perceived as one, if you know what I mean.
I'm quite sure that there are trial attorneys who are very good people too, but what we tend to see about them leaves a bad taste in most of our mouths and we probably don't want to rush out and become one. That wasn't exactly analagous, but I think you get my drift.

I didn't intend for this thread to become negative and was hoping that it wouldn't. I was just curious if others have had the same experience and to what level and if it chased you away also.

The nicest thing about this forum, besides Claude's generosity in providing for us, is the way a discussion can be carried on with respect for the other guy's opinion. It is differing viewpoints that makes life interesting and gives us an opportunity to expand and even change our minds about an issue. The way views are presented here, with respect and with heartfelt opinions and ideas, is what gives us all a chance to think about the issue more closely without being offended or becoming defensive. Political leaders could learn a lot from the way the guys on this forum conduct themselves. From every walk of life and from many corners of the world we can read about the pros and cons and do's and don't's of almost any aspect of this hobby/sport. What we take with us, after reading these threads, is entirley based on how open our minds are.

:peace:

Political leaders could learn a lot from the way the guys on this forum conduct themselves.

Smoked,

Ain't that the truth! If all re-enactors/trekkers were like the people on this site the hobby would probably be one of the biggest in existence. Why can't they all be like the people who frequent this forum? :thumbsup:

This is also a good "site" for the un-initated to find out thet his Cabela's Hawken is not an appropriate muzzleloader to carry into an AMM "camp" without git'n his feel'ns hurt due to "his" lack of research.

Anybuddy need "ticks", I got 4 "extras"!! :haha: :haha:
rollingb

Back