• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes good quality cast iron cookware?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep the old (BRANDS) stuff is the best and harder to find, American Camper makes a cheap CI, most likely china made. I got so much CI that I can't use it all. I just use what I need at each campout, and leave the stuff at home, then if we go on another camp and need something else bigger or different to cook on, we pull out more.

I bought a New Lodge 12" cast iron pan at Gander Mountain it was the only one they had of that size. I took it home and when I removed the lable inside it was full of pits. I got my money back and went to Dillons they had a 20% off sale. They were higher on sale than Gandy Mountain but they had several to look at. I bought a 10" & 12" from them went home and waited untill Saturday morning to have the wife cook some bacon with the 12" pan. The bacon was more done in the middle and not so much on the outside. She cooked some eggs in the bacon grease set them on a paper towel to soak up some of the extra grease. The eggs were great tasting. Later we went to Wall-Mart and found the pans cheeper but they also had a dutch oven marked down to $25.00 I opened up the box and was disapointed to find it had a chip near the handle and was cracked all the way arround. I guess you have to watch what you buy. The wife sure uses the 10" a lot. She is not complaning about anything sticking anymore.

I have a #7 cast iron that I bought 20 years ago for melting lead in I never thought I would one day regret melting lead in it but o'well we all learn from out mistakes. No way I now would use it to cook in and it is not rusty with a nice smoooooooooth inside.

a good indicator of quality is the inside surface finish.
I have a Wagner #8 covered pot I use as a DO and the inside of the pot and the lid (to use as a griddle) is slick.
also have a #8 round griddle made by KS&R CO, Sheffield Alabama, very likely Pre-Depression that is slick.
both belonged to my Grand Mom no telling the age of the griddle or the tons of flapjacks and 'hoecakes' that have been cooked in it beside bacon, sausage, eggs, chops and what all. will last on & on. can't beat 'em, I take the DO w/me every camp out. no telling at the 100's of lbs venison I've cooked in it and cornbread.
and I have some other stuff also, one a small skillet another large.
and 2 new covered pots w/handles a 6 pint and an 8, likely China but the inside is slick, they are good for small roasts, casseroles and such.

I always buy used older pieces, and restore them in a sand blast cabinet and re season!

The older iron cookware was often milled and smoothed out on the inside. My old large Griswold is like that, and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Lodge is all that is left in American cast iron cookware.

Cast Iron is all I use, and it performs the best! From stove top to oven etc.....

No junky handles, and non stick manure that ends up being a part of you meal!

Induces iron into the blood stream as well! :thumbsup:

I have collected so much cast iron, I forgot what all I have :shake:

I recently found an old 11" Wagner skillet griddle that is a joy to cook just about anything on. I could'nt get anything to stick to it if I tried. For $15 I consider it a true bargain.

I also have a smaller sqare skillet marked both Wagnerware and Griswold on the bottom. I found it for $5 in a thrift store and all it needed was burned off good.

Wagner bought Griswold in 1975. I have some I have used for 35yrs or more. I have around 100 cast iron skillets and pots. Lodge, Favorite is good. Good Health was made by Griswold, they made one called Mountain skillet, it has numbers on it no name. I would check the flea Markets. I like the older cast ones.They are the best in my book. Dilly

I have seen two of them, last one was 45.00. They are called a Transition Skillet. When Wagner bought out Griswold in 1975. Wagner was suppose to destroy the molds. Dilly

Like you I bought a Wagner 8 inch skillet at an auction which I use every morning. Wish I could find another prehaps a little larger.

Contrary to the "elite" of cast iron cookware crowd, Lodge makes excellent cast iron. It is perfectly fine cast iron-ware. However, even Lodge is getting hard to find. Try on-line. My favorite is the combo cooker which is a dutch oven, pot, pan, skillet and griddle all in one.

I haven't used it in a while. I sold off most of mine. I kept 2 pieces; an old Grizwald griddle, and my favorite was a 2" deep X 12" square skillet. It has no markings but has a very slick finish. It's great for sunny up or down eggs because you aren't chasing the egg around the skillet. I bought it at a home/estate sale near the north/central PA/NY state line about 18 years ago

I forgot to mention that you can get a new Lodge combo cooker at any Wal-Mart now. They are a dutch oven, pot, skillet and griddle all-in-one and therefore a big bang for the buck. Plus at Wal-Mart, they are cheap.

I have a 'Griswold' griddle and other cast iron but would sure like to have one of those square skillets with slick finish. and a lid to fit for it.

I have been fortunate to have several cast iron pcs. that have been in the wifes or my family for generations.I've also found and reconditioned several that I;ve come across in antique/thrift shops. I've had good luck with the lodge brand. It's the only american cast ware that is still made here. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the lodge a nd the price is fair.Most that I've purchased has been from True Value in the sporting goods dept.

Lard, unsalted, DEFINITLY works better than veggie oil, works better as a patch lube too!

Hello the camp! I was in Sportsmans warehouse today. Lots of Lodge cookware - some of the dutch ovens even has bears paws and elk antlers forged into the lids - WAY TOO COOL. I purchased a LOdge Logic-Pro chicken cooker (New)last week - when it arrived - NO LODGE stamp - it has "Old Mountain" and does not look up to Lodge quality. Should I jump ugly on them or is the a off-brand of Lodge. Strawstalker, CO Territory.

I've got a small Old Mountain dutch oven, it about three months old and it said "Made in China," it was supposed to be "pre-seasoned," but I had to redo the factory coating, it seems to work okay. The Lodge product is supposed to be made in the USA, sounds like someome may have switched on you

I contacted them and they say they sell both Lodge & Old Mountrain and just sent me the wrong one - not buying that. Told them I wanted a full refund and they are shipping me a full refund and a pre-paid shipping label. I will keep you posted. I will go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy their lodge with the bear paw cast into the lid. Strawstalker, CO Territory

True Value Hardware stores list Lodge in their catalogs. You probably won't find it in the store, but they can have it in a week or so for you. Bought a large footed Dutch Oven from them a couple of years ago. It shipped with instructions on how to season it (some items can be ordered in pre-seasoned).

Back