• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's Hunting Flintlock's & PRB's ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Roundball. Though I practice offhand shooting for fun,I can't say I use it hunting. I always set up so that I can use a tree or something for a rest. Even for squirrels.

WOW, August already!!!!
RB,
Thanks for the reminder. I better get on the horn and order that Bismuth.
"Early Resident Goose Season" opens here on Sept. 1st.
I'm looking forward to taking that Bess to the field this year. Gotta see if my "one gun for everything" idea pans out.
RBs, and shot. Geese, duck, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit and deer.
Gotta admit though, hunting foul with the Bess in a Kyak should be interesting :hmm: :front:

Roundball,
I've thought of that and I do hunt the biggest % of the time out of tree stands.It is an awfully accurate rifle ,Maybe I'll give it a try.

During our doe season in October I will be using the T/C Hawkins .50 or the .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle. I am determined to get one with a flintlock and a smoothbore this year.

Offhand shots certainly aren't necessary for hunting. But they do expand your opportunities when still-hunting.

You should be able to play to your strengths and adapt your methods to the quarry and to your weapon. Treestands, groundblinds, pitblinds, blowdowns, stumps, a tree seat. All these allow a relatively solid rest in most situations.

Another absolute must-have in your bag of tricks should be a good kneeling shot. Assuming you're right handed: left foot flat on ground, left elbow on left knee, right knee on ground, right butt-cheek on heel of right foot. It's a little more "balled-up" than a traditional kneeling position, and a little more stable. I drop into this from my ground-level tree seat if the game is behind me or to shoot around cover, or from a standing position to get under cover. Good snow-shoeing position, too. Works even better with a tree up against either hip or shoulder. I shoot 50 yard groups this way when I'm just out shooting for general practice. Very steady three-point stance (toe-knee-foot).

Is there any thing else? Pa. has a early muzzloader season, that is my first weeks vacation. Plus archery... Come regular season either the flintlock gets the nod or my singleshot rifle, depending if it's raining or not. Then late flintlock season. HOOYAAAA!!

20 years I killed a buck that weighed 196 with no entrails included. Could have killed it with a 50 cal of course. We had to back my friend's farm truck into the woods and let out 100 feet of rope to get it up a little hill. He was out the next day and saw this one's twin. Thought about how hard it would be to drag the big deer so he wisely shot the yearling doe next to it.

Want to shoot the fowler at clays mostly but have to see how well I can shoot that ball. I've killed deer with 12 gauge slugs and this should not be that much different. They tend to go right thru unless you hit a lot of bone.

GC

Late Oct is the early season. .50cal long-rifle with PBR... I may try the 12ga flinter with a roundball this fall too, never tried to take one with that yet. Maybe a big ol doe...

I hope to get after them with the bow first though...

Good luck and safe hunting
Wess

Been chasing the bushytails since Memorial Day weekend with my 36 flint and PRB. I laid off the last few weeks because of the nasty heat. Come November and regular deer season I'll be on the back end of our place with a new to me late 1700's Pennsylvania flinter in 45 cal. and home cast PRB. I'll probably use my TVA Leman in 54 cal. during muzzleloading season Right now I wish it would cool off enough to go after the squirrels again. They're starting to cut hickory nuts here. Had 11 out the back of the house yesterday evening.

Vic

Curses to all you! Next week I foolishly am leaving my job of 9 years to start over :youcrazy:. No vacation.... thus no hunting season :rolleyes:. Uugh! Had plans all set for a back-woods canoe/camp/hunt trip but now I will be lucky to get something in over the weekends :cry: Was all set to try out a GPH w/ PRB's. I'm a fool! Still hopes of a PA late season trip after I get some time earned past new years. Best luck to all of you. I will have to live vicariously through your tales.

BobW

Where you at Vic? I am 12 south of 270 and 35 south of the arch. Jefferson county. We went yesterday because we needed to cut the grass at the property. I saw three, but they never offered a shot. When the heat set in, they disappeared.

Halftall,
When hunting use any and every prop avalable. Shooting a deer offhand while standing is ok but the stedier you can holdusing a rest the better of you will be.

I will be out there with my flintlock and cast roundballs as long as I am able.

I also believe in using a rest at every oppurtunity when hunting anything!

Chuck :redthumb:

I will be hunting with a .45 cal. flintlock also. I think a .45 will do just fine as long as I keep the shots at 50 yards or less. flinch

I will be hunting with a .45 cal. flintlock also. I think a .45 will do just fine as long as I keep the shots at 50 yards or less. flinch

:agree:...for October, I have a tight spot on the back boundary of a game land overlooking a trail alongside a small lake...only 30-40yds away...I either see one along that trail or don't see any at all...good luck with your opener

I plan on being out there as much of the NC season as I can with my T/C flinters also. (Same goes for W. Va season too).

I plan on being out there as much of the NC season as I can with my T/C flinters also. (Same goes for W. Va season too).

You've got a lot of deer in the East over there in Gates County...I hunt a few early season October Saturdays in a little out of the way place on a Game Land in wake County...usually see a couple 1.5-2.5 year old bucks with small basket racks in those 3-4 Saturdays but I don't shoot them...it's a 40 minute hike to get back in there and I have no interest in dragging out anything that's not really, really nice...but sooner or later, 'Big Daddy' is gonna come poking along and I'll get a good October buck.

In the November central season, I have private land to hunt in Granville County and take off two weeks vacation to hunt the rut full time every November.

Good luck with yours...

When hunting use any and every prop avalable. Shooting a deer offhand while standing is ok but the stedier you can holdusing a rest the better of you will be.

I usually do use whats around for a steady rest. :peace:

I will be using my cap lock .40 for some small game, my Tulle 20 gauge for other small game and maybe deer in the right situation and a I have a .50 flint Lancaster that I will use for other situations.

I will also have my new flint pistol along for the hunts.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Back