• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's Hunting Flintlock's & PRB's ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" "this is how they did it...this is how the settlers lived"."

Or died, if the gun did not fire...(VBG)

Yepper, only way ta hunt. Going out for elk and deer in the Tarryall Mountains with a .54 Mortimer flintlock in about 4 weeks.

Flash, I am on the coast in Va. and have taken 2 eight pointers that dressed out at 150. The bigger ones are in the blue ridge and the Eastern shore area.

add me to the list,had sparky out earlyer today.Well i can say im hooked.Never new a flinter could be so much fun.I may never fire my caplocks again :thumbsup:

add me to the list,had sparky out earlyer today.Well i can say im hooked.Never new a flinter could be so much fun.I may never fire my caplocks again :thumbsup:

Sounds like things went well! Hunting season will be here before you know it!
:front:

Yep sparky did good.After all the information you guys have shared on flintlocks it was a problem free shoot.My hats off to all you fellows,thanks for sharing and thanks to Claude for providing a great place on the net with such a wealth of knowledgeable people :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello Round Ball
yes a group of us are going north east of Parry Sound (here in Ontario) this year. Even though we have a limited deer season up here (two weeks max). However 6 (plus our surgeon / cook) of our Queen's Ranger Rev. war unit are heading out with our period tents, equipment, uniforms (we have made up rest caps that flip over to show blaze manure orange, it's one of those silly law things...then back to green in camp of course), Besses, our 76's, our Jaegers, and of course one or two 1770 period long ball guns. All of us are using Flinters. Even though I must admit two capocks are going to be left in the lock up and will be used only if the weather remains rainy all week. After all meat is meat right, and we need the meat!!! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:.
Best regards Loyalist Dawg

Yes sir I will be heading out this fall with my dad's flinter and leaving the center fire at home. :front:

KOZ

Absolutely.
The evidence of which is as follows:
IHgoat2.jpg

IH1stroo.jpg

Jeff, I'm guessing the bottom photo is some form of what I'd call a kangaroo...but what is the goat looking thing in the top photo?

Roundball; that's a wallaby which is a smaller variety. Mostly they stand about 3 feet tall at the ears but are FANTASTIC sport.
Their scrotums make great round ball bags - Ask Stumpkiller.
The top one is the smellest dang old billy goat I ever got down wind of. MAN did he stink. Ferel goats, sort of semi domesticated. I smacked him through the brisket at an honest 100 yards with the .40cal Haines and he didn't know what hit him. I have his horns at home for a project.

Can't say I have tried the meat yet. Mainly pest control as there are thousands of them.
The meat is dark like venison and hare so the taste will be similar.
I will report in after my next trip though with a 9 month old baby this may be some time away.

Opening wknd I'll be using my 62 cal cumberland by ERA. After that my .66 smoothie, and the 45 will have to get out at least once. NYS has a long hunting season.

"and those were great times" Lewis Black

Well......will be using a flintlock, but no roundballs. :redface:

This year I've decided to limit myself to my .50cal Lyman GPH flinter for deer season, and may even take it along on an outing or two when I'm predator calling. I'm shooting a 385 grain Buffalo Bullet on top of 85 grains of FFG. Black English flints from Tom Fuller with 3FG for priming.

By limiting myself to this rifle for the entire season I figure it will allow me to "get to know it" much better than if I only shoot at the range and take it into the woods every 3rd or 4th trip.

Can't wait until I have some pictures to post of the new rifle with some deer and hopefully a hog or two! :front:

Jake

Opening wknd I'll be using my 62 cal cumberland by ERA. After that my .66 smoothie, and the 45 will have to get out at least once. NYS has a long hunting season.

"and those were great times" Lewis Black

do u have any pics of the cumberland? id love to hear of ur experience with ERA if u dont mind dropin me a pm....

oh... and ill be takin betsy (T/C w/ a .62 smooth bore) for every kind of game in NW PA this year. and possibly be "loadin fer bear" later on out east... we'll see who alls goin from my group.

Back