• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's Hunting Flintlock's & PRB's ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can get my old ticker half way straightened out and my Bucks County .54 finished..I'll be there.

You've got a lot of deer in the East over there in Gates County
Got to admit, and I haven't been all over the country hunting either, but for me this is the best hunting I've ever had. I let the little ones walk too. Killed 2 nice 8 pointers and a 5 point last season. See a least one "Big Ol'
Boy" every season. Just haven't been able to connect on a true monster yet.........but I know they're out there.
Lots a walk'in to get in there to hunt like you mentioned.
When I shoot one I usually hike out and stow my rifle, etc., and walk back in with my cart. I made a old timey looking rig. Its basically an indian travois with two bicycle rims (no tires). I can pull it thru reeds, over logs and downed pines, etc. But you still gotta work to get 'em out. Good luck back at ya!!!!!

LET SEEN NOW : I THINK THIS WILL BE MY 41 YEARS COMMING UP THIS YEAR IN THE SPORT OF DEER HUNTING.I FOUND OVER THE YEARS THAT BOW HUNTING WAS ALWAYS ON TOP OF MY LIST ,LOVE TO STALK AND GET CLOSE.I HAVE TAKING A LOT OF DEER FROM A TREESTAND AND FROM A GROUND BLIND.
I HAVE TO SAY NEXT TO BOW HUNTING IS BLACKPOWDER,I FIND ALSO WITH BLACKPOWDER FROM THE GROUND, STALKING AND GETTING CLOSER TO THE GAME IS THE WAY TO GO.
I THINK THE EARLY PA. SEASON WILL OPEN ON THE 15 OF OCT; I WILL BE THERE WITH ONE OF MY FLINTERS EITHER THE RENEGADE IN 54 OR THE HAWKENS IN 50CAL.
I AM SORRY TO SAY I GAVE UP THE SPORT OF BOW HUNTING ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO DUE TO A CERVICAL NECK PROBLEM AND FELL IN THE SPORT OF BLACKPOWDER,WHICH I FAVOR NOW OVER THE CENTERFIRE RIFLE. :redthumb:

I AM SORRY TO SAY I GAVE UP THE SPORT OF BOW HUNTING ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO DUE TO A CERVICAL NECK PROBLEM

Looks like I may have to do the same..same problem although it has gotten a little better I'm afraid to try and pull my bow in fear it will get worse and won't be able to hunt with anything....Hell gettin old.

I AM SORRY TO SAY I GAVE UP THE SPORT OF BOW HUNTING ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO DUE TO A CERVICAL NECK PROBLEM

Looks like I may have to do the same..same problem although it has gotten a little better I'm afraid to try and pull my bow in fear it will get worse and won't be able to hunt with anything....Hell gettin old.

Similar situation...4X bypass a few years ago, told not to draw a bow for a year since my sternum was cut open...decided to experiment with a used flintlock and have been lost to the flint gods ever since...have a ton of top quality bow hunting equipment just gathering dust...funny how things work out...probably never would have tried that if not forced off course with bowhunting and now am head over heels with flintlocks year round
:front:

My first hunting love is still with a bow. But muzzleloading is a very close second. Main reason is length of season. Our gun deer season is very short. So that is why I love hunting with a shotgun for doves and a small bore rifle for squirrels. Now don't complain about getting old, be glad you can! :peace:

Oh yeah! And with this:
IM000830.jpg

.50 cal, swamped Green Mtn barrel.

Because it is a .54, I will be using my T/C Renegade Flinter, with a PRB, this coming deer season. Will also use my T/C Pa. Hunter Carbine Flinter, because it is so easy to carry. Hopefully, I will be hunting three states this year.

I'm in the process of rebarreling my .45 Southern MTN. Should be done in a couple weeks. Gives me plenty of time to find a load and sight it in. BP season isn't until Dec 15th. Can't wait! DALE

I'll be out this fall for elk and deer with my .54 caliber Jack Garner Early Lancaster launching home-cast .530 PRBs. Life is good.........

Best Regards,

Sky-Dogg :thumbsup:

I will be out there with my brother Matt who will be fresh returned from Iraq. We will both be carrying flintlocks and PRBs. He will be using a .54 Cal Renegade and I will be carrying my .62 Cal Tulle Smoothbore.

I CAN'T WAIT.

I am sure your family will be thrilled and relieved to have your brother home. Please thank him for my family for his patriotic and honorable service to our country. I hope there are many hunting days ahead for you both. I'll be carrying my .54 cal. flintlock from Pa.'s early muzzleloader season straight through to the end of our late flintlock season, and will enjoy every moment. :thumbsup:

For whitetail... I'll be out with my .50 flinter during the early "muzzleloader" season, the regular firearms season and the late "flintlock" season - but only AFTER being out with my selfbow during the early archery season!

This is the first year I'm going all "primitive" and I can't wait!

For whitetail... I'll be out with my .50 flinter during the early "muzzleloader" season, the regular firearms season and the late "flintlock" season - but only AFTER being out with my selfbow during the early archery season!
This is the first year I'm going all "primitive" and I can't wait!

This will be my 4th year of hunting with nothing but Flintlocks all season long...most satisfying, rewarding firearms deer hunting I've done in my 59 years on the planet! Even got my first Flintlock squirrel last year...hadn't shot a squirrel at all since the 60's...felt like a kid again...good luck with yours

In the morning, I'm heading for Canada for black bear. I was hoping to have my new Early Pennsylvania .54 flinter, that I got from Tip Curtis while at Dixon's fair ready, but there just wasn't enough time. :( I'm taking my T/C Renegade .54 flinter, that I took my last bear with, instead.
I'm going to try real hard to have the new rifle ready for deer season.

Real black powder(Goex) & PRB's are all I ever use in my B/P rifles.

In the morning, I'm heading for Canada for black bear. I was hoping to have my new Early Pennsylvania .54 flinter, that I got from Tip Curtis while at Dixon's fair ready, but there just wasn't enough time. :( I'm taking my T/C Renegade .54 flinter, that I took my last bear with, instead.
I'm going to try real hard to have the new rifle ready for deer season.

Real black powder(Goex) & PRB's are all I ever use in my B/P rifles.

I remember you talking about this a few weeks ago...good luck Baldy !

I'll be making the switch to flint this season. I started BP hunting only during the muzzleloading season and carrying modern the rest of the time. Enjoyed BP and roundball so much I used it exclusive for all gun seasons for past 7 years or so. I will be replacing the caplock GPR now with my new .54 Lancaster flinter. Got 2 months to practice and get used to the change. Can't Wait!

There's nothing like it...when you lay that Flintlock back down across your lap the first time, smoke curling up out of the vent, a buck laying in the leave 50yds out, you'll probably get the feeling of: "this is how they did it...this is how the settlers lived".
Got their food and defended themselves...a piece of rock hitting a piece of steel, real blackpowder and patched ball.
None of the deer hunting I've done since the 60's holds a candle to taking a deer with a Flintlock...you'll be ready in time...good luck!

Back