• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild Boar with Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Geraldo (of this Forum) and I took this hog about 30 minutes after dark Saturday a week ago. It came out into a small opening between a thick hammock and pine-palmettoes. We fired simultaneously; his .58 percussion loaded with prb and 110 gr 2f, my .54 flintlock with prb and 90 grains 2f. When the smoke cleared, we could see the boar dropped where it had stood about 25 yards from us. Both balls hit pretty close together (only one shows in photo, my rifle might be covering the other) Neither ball exited. Weight guesstimate is 125 lbs.
OctHunt003.jpg

OctHunt006.jpg

Thanks, everyone! The southern mountain flintlock was custom-built by Roger Sells. I have it's "little brother" in .36 and walnut, also built by Roger.

Yes, Roguedog, hogs are built sturdy! One night last March a 200+ lb boar put us up a tree after being hit by two .54s and several 44 mag hits (I don't plan on trying head shots at night again). We did get .54 pass-thrus on a 100 pounder and an 80+/- lb sow that was shot through the shoulders.

Night hunting for hogs is a lot of fun, but continues to be a learning experience :grin:

Wish I was there with you!!! I love hog hunting. I've gotten 4 so far with a .50 cal. flintlock. It's a whole heap of fun. Good hunting to you and keep us all updated with photos of your successes. I love your rifle, too!!

Great job on that hog, that has got to be fun. You have a good looking rifle there to shoot them there hogs with. :grin:

When I was a kid I lived near Morrison Co.

You knew when the Great Full Dead where going to play at Red Rocks because My friends in Morrison would wake up to tents in there yard!

Dixie Flinter If you hear tent pegs being pounded in just roll over & go back to sleep :thumbsup: WE will need you well rested when you take us all hog hunting with you :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back