• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wild hog taken with a cva mountian rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderHeart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
shot this hog in Mason TX last sunday evening with a cva mountian rifle in .50 cal at about 30-40 yards while running ! and people tell me you can't kill anything with a patched round ball !! shows what they know !.....
06hog010.jpg

Oh yeah, those round balls are good for nothing. :rotf: :rotf:
This time next week I will be chasing wallabies (small kangaroos) with my .40cal flinter and trust me, them roos don't like round balls. :thumbsup:

Cheers

J

Nice hog, Thunderheart! How much do you think it weighed? I know an old-timer used to shoot matches in the '70s and he still raves about the CVA Mountain rifle.

yeah he had some cutters or tusk guess it depends on where your from as to what ya call em they were about one and a quater inches not real big but big enough to hurt ya if he had ever got a hold of ya LOL
as for the weight i would guess him at around 150 not real big but big enough to get a nice amount of meat from .

That was a great hunt bro! Can't wait to do it again.
mydadspic.jpg

I used my CVA .45 cal Kentucky, a .440 hornady round ball, .015 wonderlube patch, and 80 grains of FFg. I know what ya mean when we get told "Ya can't kill nuthin with a patched round ball, CVA's don't shoot worth beans". I got that hog at about 30 yards. Ya just gotta pick yer shots!

Thunder hearts hog went about 175 with 1 1/2 of ivory showin. Mine went just a tad bit more. Thunder heart, I'm savin yer ivory so I can get em to ya next time we go huntin.

I've got 2 old CVA mountain rifles a 45 and 50 made about 25 years ago.I bought a new 50 about 2 years ago.CVA only made a few of them.My son won the National Territorial Junior Championship at Friendship last year with the old .50 cal CVA Mountain Rifle.....Weah,nice hog too......OLSON

Nice hogs fellas! Gettin' me one of them critters is "on my list". We don't have 'em up here in the Great White North, so it's an other good excuse to take my .62 flinter and go south. :haha:

Hey, that looks like fun! I got me a CVA Mountain Rifle, can I come out 'n play? :grin:

Baron, there's supposed to be a herd of 'em in central New Hampshire...Hank

yes sir!! it was a great time and i to am lookin forward to the next hunt . Seems anymore no sooner we get done with one hunt im already planning my escape for the next one hehehehe!! aint life grand!!

Congratulations to you both!Nice photos
also. Good luck on all your hunts. Were these
hogs taken on public or private land?
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Congrats on your hogs guys!! :hatsoff:

That is something I have never done either. I hope to give it a try while in Okie hunting turks in April.

wess

No sir, on a private ranch. Aint much public land in Tejas, and what little of that there is is crowded. We hold a couple of these hunts a year, one in March, one in June for kids, and one in August. Great fun!

Back