• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild mushrooms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that mushroom-talking really makes hungry. So today we had mushrooms - steinpilz, pfifferling and maronen with dumplings.
Just great. :thumbsup:
But I have to open the upper knob on my jeans to sit comfortable on my computer right now :grin: :grin:

Here´s an english site about Maronen:
Bay Bolete

thanks for the link romeoh but how about some recipes for the 'steinpilz' and 'pfifferling'. sounds as if it's a natural for venison in 'shroom gravy over noodles. and yes I have done that with 'shrooms available here. delicious.

"Steinpilz" means porcini
Porcini
"Pfifferling" is the yellow chanterelle
Yellow chanterelle

I´ll try a recipe...
This is the german original from my girl, based on the link I posted above with some corrections from her:
"Schwammerlsauce mit Semmelknödeln
Für Kenner, die gerne in den Wald gehen,
fit bleiben wollen und wissen, welche Schwammerl
die richtigen sind. Es ist wohl ein besonderes Gefühl,
die selbstgefundenen Pilze am häuslichen Herd zu kochen.
Zubereitung:
Schwammerlsauce 60 Minuten
Semmelknödel 30 Minuten
Für 4 Personen brauchen Sie:
700 g Eierschwammerl (Champignons)
1 große Zwiebel
1 Büscherl Petersilie
Öl
1/8 l Rindsuppe oder Wasser
1/8 l Sahne
Salz
Pfeffer
Paprika
Majoran
Für die Knödel:
3 Semmeln vom Vortag
ca. 1/16 l Milch
20 g Butter
1 Bund Petersilie
1 Ei
Prise Salz, reichlich Wasser

Tip:
Salzt man zu früh, werden die Schwammerl klein
und die Sauce dünn.
Getränkevorschlag: Bier.

So wird´s gemacht:
1.Schwammerl putzen und waschen
2.Feinst geschnittene Zwiebel und gehackte Petersilie in Öl rösten, Eierschwammerl darin vermengen und zugedeckt langsam dünsten (ca. 30 Minuten).
3.Mit Rindsuppe oder Wasser aufgießen und aufkochen
4.Gemeinsam noch etwa 15 Minuten dünsten
5.Zum Schluss 1/8 Sahne zugeben! Wer mag gibt noch einen Schuß Essig dazu. Mit Majoran abschmecken.
6.Semmeln in kleine Würfel schneiden und mit Milch übergießen, Ei, Salz und Petersilie zu den den befeuchteten Semmelwürfeln beigeben, ca. 20 Minuten ziehen lassen und zu einem lockeren Teig verkneten
7.Die Knödel mit nassen Händen in kochendes Salzwasser einlegen und 12 Minuten kochen."

I tried to translate it with software, here´s the result:
"Mushroomsauce with bun dumplings for the experts who go with pleasure to the woods, want to remain fit and know which mushrooms are the right ones. It is probably a special feeling to cook the selffound mushrooms in the domestic cooker.

Preparation:
Mushroomsauce - 60 minutes
Bun dumplings - 30 minutes

For 4 persons you need:
700 gramms mushrooms
1 big onion
1 alliance parsley
oil
1/8 l Bovine animal's soup or waters
1/8 l of cream
salt
pepper
paprika
marjoram

for the dumplings: 3 buns from the day before approx. 1/16 l of milk
20 gs of butter
1 alliance parsley
1 egg
pinch of salt
richly water

tip: If one salts too early, the mushrooms become small and the sauce thin.
Drink suggestion: Beer.

Thus it is done:
1. Clean and wash the mushrooms
2.Roast most finely cut onion and hacked parsley in oil , add the mushrooms to it and stew covered slowly (approx. 30 minutes).
3.Pour with bovine animal's soup or water and boil
4. Let it stew together about another 15 minutes
5. Add in the end 1/8 cream!
Add a shot of vinegar if you may (Our local version). Season with marjoram.
6. Cut buns in small cubes and pour over with milk, add egg, salt and parsley to to the moistened bun cubes, allow approx. 20 minutes to move and mix up to a loose dough
7. Insert the dumplings with wet hands in cooking salted water and cook 12 minutes."

I tried to edit the nonsens the web-translator spitted out but I wouldn´t be surprised if there were still a lot of mistakes in it.
Feel free to correct me and ask me. :thumbsup:
Finally: Enjoy your meal! :hatsoff:

@bucktales:
As far as I know some mushrooms can be grown at home with mushroom growing kits.
I think chanterelle is among them.
What about a new hobby to shorten the time till next year...? :wink:

Hey thanks for the recipe, near as I can tell it's for Mushrooms (chanterelle - found around here) in cream sauce with bread dumplings. would go great with marinated, grilled venison skewers.
I'll give it a try. I have made French onion soup with wild mushrooms several times, delicious.

All,

PLEASE be very very careful. I once had an old botany professor at university (he was seriously about 70 at the time) and he used to LOVE hiking around the mountains of Utah to pick morels. When I asked him why he loved them so much in particular, he said it was because this was the ONLY variety of mushroom that he was 100% confident of being able to 100% accurately identify. Being that this guy had a Ph.D. in botany and was one really smart cookie in general, I'd be pretty wary of everything growing in the woods...were it not for the very easy distinction between a real morel from a false one. Yes, variety is the spice of life but not at the cost of death or serious organ damage. Stick to the morels.

JMHO,

Buffler Runner

while I prefer dry weather a side benefit of the hurricane season that brings wet weather to this area is the abundance of 'shrooms that will sprout - both edible and 'un'edible. I'm hoping I'll find me a mess of 'tree oysters' for some good gravy - yum!

Latest posts

Back