• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a flintlock stop a bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, a flintlock will not stop a bear. If you take the lock out and throw it at the bear, or scratch him with it, or try to snap it on his nose, he will not be amused. :rotf:

If forced to use a flintlock gun in such a situation and if I was limited to guns that were commonly used here in the flintlock period, I'd want a Brown Bess, a box full of paper cartridges, and a bayonet.

Dan Phariss said:
karwelis said:
i know where i live, "big bear california" Grizz was hunted from 1860 to about 1900. hence the name big bear. and a lot of those Grizz were taken with billy holcombs 50 cal hawkens. part of how ole billy made his living was hunting Grizz. apparently grizz is good eating. and sure it makes some difference whether your hunting the bear, or being hunted by the bear. however couple things about bears
1 they would rather leave you alone
2 tend not to be agressive towards people(unless somethings wrong)
3 and this is my favorite,, are very scared of dogs. which is why i have a well trained trail/hunting dog.

i really do not understand why some people think these rifles that we love so much wont/cant stop big game. and this has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine, on a couple other forums (which i wont name here) there is one guy in particular that likes to sound like some kind of guru with front stuffers, and he likes to say that past 50 yards they wont penetrate. which i dont understand, i mean there are all kinds of recorded shots by buffalow hunters and such at 200+ yards. i mean think about it were talking about a 200 grain patched round ball traveling at 2100 ft per second. that matches up pretty darned good with a lot of modern hunting loads.

As I previously stated there is a difference between stopping and killing. Read Lewis and Clarks Journal entries about shooting Gbears then think about "stopping" as opposed to "killing" and how long some bears lived after being shot through the lungs, hey were really surprised at how tough the bears were. They also did a lot of panic running at times after shooting a Gbear.

Not everyone that hunted Grizzlies for fun or profit survived. William Sublette's younger brother hunted CA Gbears and got mauled twice, the second time was fatal. I think its here asoac.org/bulletins/87_burke_hawken.pdf
in this PDF file.

There is no way I would take a dog into Gbear country for protection. It takes a pretty savvy dog (actually a pack) to hunt/confront bears with any success. One dog is unlikely to survive. This based on stories of my family hunting the lowly black bear with dogs in 19th century Arkansas. Considering the Gbears around here deal with wolves on a regular basis I would not count on the dog to do anything but serve as a way to irritate the bear.

You don't want your dog bringing a Gbear back to you. My grandfather had this experience with cougars when as a boy he decided to go coon hunting by himself. Not fun when you got 2 cougars and only a ML rifle and an old coon dog on a leash, the younger dogs ran past him and went home, the old dog stopped and he put a leash on him. Kept his back to a tree till sunup, afraid to shoot his one shot.

Bears, black or brown USUALLY leave people alone/avoid them. But I often hunt in an area where the gov't likes to drop off "problem" Gbears from the nearby National Park. So one cannot rely on stumbling on a bear that fears or even respects humans. You might find one that has decided that he has had enough traps and needles and will jump the next pest he finds in the woods. So betting my life the bear is going to be afraid of me is silly.
Bears on gut piles/kills are not something you want to encounter. They will surely protect it.
So far as stopping animals the best read concerning this is probably Jame Forsythe's "The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles" from the 1850s-60s. Its available on the WWW as a downloadable file IIRC. The English considered the 54 (32 bore)to be suitable only as a light deer rifle. Both Ruxton (24 bore) and Stewart (20 bore) used larger rifles during their time in the American West.

Dan
lol,,,,,i have bears (black) in my yard, so i have lots of time to watch and study them, and trust me one dog is enough to scare them off

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked a smart$#% the question, 'can you stop a Gbear with a flintlock', and he said it all depended on how well that Gbear could shoot (I was facing the mirror when I asked the question)! I guess you also have to ask yourself how did that bear get hold of a flintlock? :haha:

No..It will kill one but not stop it. I see Black bears fairly often. They don't worry me. Just be bear smart. BUT a g-bear is NOT a Black bear. Thats like saying a cow and cape buffalo are both just cows. :shake: I aint messin with no Grizzly Bear if I can help it. Larry Wv

Jethro224 said:
"...it was a good gun and kilt the bar that kilt me." :wink:
This is the best answer!

Remember thoes folks in the TV program did not have a choice. And they were not hunting grizz at the time of the attcaks, but they were hunting.

hanshi said:
I asked a smart$#% the question, 'can you stop a Gbear with a flintlock', and he said it all depended on how well that Gbear could shoot (I was facing the mirror when I asked the question)! I guess you also have to ask yourself how did that bear get hold of a flintlock? :haha:

:haha: Well maybe if it was some REALLY nice curly maple done just right, and the bar' likes nice wood he'd pause for a bit :grin:

necchi said:
hanshi said:

:haha: Well maybe if it was some REALLY nice curly maple done just right, and the bar' likes nice wood he'd pause for a bit :grin:

My wife says if a Gbear is charging just cancel it's credit card! :rotf: I reckon she just ain't that acquainted with bears. She ain't an outdoors girl anyway. :idunno:

I have a couple of friends who have killed big black bears with a single well placed shot from
54 caliber flintlock rifles shooting patched round balls. The key being well placed shots. So a flintlock will kill a bear. I hope to go hunting with my friends this fall but I am taking a .62 caliber loaded for bear so to speak.

karwelis said:
,,,i have bears (black) in my yard, so i have lots of time to watch and study them, and trust me one dog is enough to scare them off

And in my neck of the woods a black bear killed and ate a 70lb. black lab not too far from my house, and another bear killed and partially ate a 350 lb. steer, and killed both the farmer's dogs when he set them loose. After he shot and killed the bear, an autopsy was done, and the bear was a healthy 300lb. boar.

There are exceptions to every rule, and now that bears are not hunted as much as they used to be, or are not hunted at all in some of our more "enlightened" states, they are loosing their fear of us. I would hunt a black bear with my flintlock. But you can bet your last dollar that I will have my .45 pistol with me too.

Well, if I was in Grizz country with a flintlock I would probably weigh my rifle and carry an equal weight of bacon. If I was suddenly attacked by the Gbear I would toss him the bacon in hopes that would distract him. If that didn't work I am sure my past life would pass in front of me and remembering the one time I voted democratic would make me feel so small the Gbear wouldn't be able to find me!!!

Wayne

You should read the history books before you condemn me. You should check your facts; i.e., read the books first before casting your stones at me. Written in a journal, Jediah Smith was also mauled. The question is whether a flintlock will "stop" a grizzly bear, not just kill a grizzly. Any gun will kill a bear but that's not the topic. The topic is "stop" not "kill." Are you denying what the fur trappers wrote about?

I agree. Those guys used their guns every day, were probably cooler-headed hunters than we'll ever be, yet there are many accounts of grizzlies taking many shots and chasing/mauling fur trappers.

Yes!

Bring enough gun! Like an african game gun, say a .500 Nitro Express double!

Or a Barrett .50 BMG :thumbsup:

Dave

wayne--If you're are carrying around a slab-o-bacon in bear country you are ASKING for a bear problem! :wink: :grin:

As far as the original question---Probable yes, and like all killing situations shot placement is what invariably dictates success.

...In the eye. If he is that close to me, that is where I am shooting. If I almost get him right in the eye it is still a brain shot but most likely a blinding, mortal shot. At point blank an eye shot that will stop/utterly knock the hell out of him.

The keys to the original question are: 54 caliber or so. And very close range. Shoot anything in the eye at very close range with a 54 caliber flintlock and it will either be dead, blinded or at the very least stopped, even if for enough time for you to get OUT of there. An eye shot is a brain shot with instant gratification in that it instantly blinds or mostly blinds the attacker. What the round ball does not do to the other eye the muzzle blast does.

Zoar said:
The keys to the original question are: 54 caliber or so. And very close range. Shoot anything in the eye at very close range with a 54 caliber flintlock and it will either be dead, blinded or at the very least stopped, even if for enough time for you to get OUT of there. An eye shot is a brain shot with instant gratification in that it instantly blinds or mostly blinds the attacker. What the round ball does not do to the other eye the muzzle blast does.
Ok, so I'm being charged by a Grizzly. All I have to do is shoot, off-hand, and hit a rapidly moving target the size of a bears eye. That should be pretty easy.

WAIT! I don't think I could hit a moving target that size from a bench. I guess I'm screwed. :rotf:

The eye ball shot at slobbering distance sounds to me like a good option in a bad situation. But then again I kicked a water buffalo in the teeth to move it off a rice patty dike on point one night. Not one of my smarter moves. :haha: Larry

I have taken a lot of game, but going after Grizzly with a flintlock? Sounds like suicide to me. The only close encounter I have had with Mr. Grizz was when I called one in when turkey hunting. I really didn't want to see if a turkey load would stop him, or the .45 colt on my hip, I sat very still and quit calling. He just went on his way. Can't remember if I was breathing during this encounter. Being quiet paid off this time, just regret not taking his picture. The game warden I was hunting with that day told me there were no Grizzlies in Colorado, the Division of Wildlife doesn't want to do a game management plan for them. This was one BIG BEAR, and I wouldn't have wanted to anger him with any .54. My uncle killed a big blackbear that came after him when he was checking the trap line. A .22 short to the eye. I would try it if that is all between me and the packing house.

Back