• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wire Inlay Supplier and Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen the info. on the tools made from hacksaw blades, but I have a few questions.

1. What size wire is used and where do you get it?
2. What is used to make the blades, dremil tool, file, sandpaper?
3. I have some wire from TOTW that is .010 thick, can I make a tool this thin?

The tools pictured here are pretty thin. I have no idea Roys procedure to make them.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/213246[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hacksaw blades ,a vise to hold the pieces , files to shape them,or a dremel and use the dremel to sharpen them.

I made mine with a dremel. I cut it out, and got the basic bevel on the blade with it. Then stoned and stroped the blade.

IMO, the blade used to cut the channel for the wire inlays doesn't have to be the same size as the wire (ribbon) thickness. It can be thicker.
In fact, if it is thicker than the wire inlay material it makes inserting the inlay much easier and it is almost a requirement for sterling silver wire.

After the wire is inserted, soaking the area with water allows the wood to try to return to its old shape which closes down the gap and provides the squeeze on the inlay that keeps it in place.

Now, of course you don't want to go overboard with the thickness of the cutting tool. Something like driving a screwdriver into the wood would not work but a standard hack saw blade will work fine.
zonie

i was wondering this myself?

muzzleloaders builder supply stocks .008, .010 &
.014. the thinner width seems to be more correct according to mlbs.

there's a great post on doing this inlay right
here in the forum.

cheers,
sewerman

Back