• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Workbench - starting out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, time to get serious here. I'm about to get a workbench, and was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations. As indicated, I'll be doing my first build soon, so I thought I'd get some opinions from the pros :thumbsup:

I have a couple benches that are mounted right to the wall (about 30" deep and run about 30 feet long) - so covered in "junk" that I rarely use them for my gun building :grin:

My gun building bench is a "repurposed" hardwood kitchen table that was saved from a dump run.

It's 4 feet long and 3 feet wide, the height of a standard kitchen table.

To that I affixed a wood vice (super handy for holding the stock through various shaping operations - I do have a metal vice on my other bench for "reefing" on if necessary).

It also serves double duty as my router table (just hacked a hole in the middle and dropped in the plate).

I like the relative portability of the table as a bench - I can get around all 4 sides and sit comfortably while I'm working on tedious stuff.

But what works for me may not work for you or others - a bench is kinda a personal thing.

MessyBench_zps6bda307e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My benches I made. Quite simple. 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF board, topped with a 1/4" sheet of tempered hard board, faced with a piece of hard wood. I simply screwed all together. Gives you a bench that is 1.75" thick and very stable. I put some varnish on the top to water proof it.

The back side of my benches are all siting on a 2x4 attached to a wall, the front are 2x4 frame. Not a wiggle and very strong.

Fleener

that harbor freight bench looks pretty cool ... don't be afraid to beef it up, add weight, or modify your bench to make it stiffer, heavier or more stable.

also, get the biggest, most manly-man vice you can get your hands on, and mount it with the heaviest hardware you can fit through the holes.

good luck with your project!

I have the harbor freight bench, pretty good for the money, can't buy the material for the price. when putting it together glue all the joints helps a lot.

Here is mine. Legs are two 4x4x8s cut to height. Framed with 2x4s, the top is 2x4s on their sides screwed to the frame and a nice piece of birch plywood glued and screwed to the 2x4 top with several coats of urethane. Screwed it to the wall. Solid as a rock. Some hardwood 2inch trim on the sides to clean it up. about $150 and some time

I actually ran across this harbor freight workbench the other night, and for the money it looks pretty darn good. And after I ready what others have said about owning...I just might have to pull the trigger (thought it was too good to be true). Of course, some customizing will be in order...hehehe

Just pulled the trigger on the workbench from Harbor Freight...I got it for $131 with a coupon that I found online. If anyone is interested shoot me a PT and I'll show you where I got the code :thumbsup:

I've seen the HF benches in the store, they probably work fine for some things, but personally I would want a heavier bench. The same amount of money for some heavy 4x4 lumber and plywood for the top will give you a much heavier bench.

In my experience drawers are handy and desirable when designed to fit specific tools, the wide shelf at the bottom of the bench does little more than collect clutter. On the other hand I personally have to work hard at keeping my area organized, others come by that skill more naturally.

I've seen the HF benches in the store, they probably work fine for some things, but personally I would want a heavier bench. The same amount of money for some heavy 4x4 lumber and plywood for the top will give you a much heavier bench.

In my experience drawers are handy and desirable when designed to fit specific tools, the wide shelf at the bottom of the bench does little more than collect clutter. On the other hand I personally have to work hard at keeping my area organized, others come by that skill more naturally.

I can't figure how you and Fleener find any of your tools with them all hung up neat like that.

If I can't lay my hand on the bench, rummage around without looking and grab exactly what I want, I would be lost :rotf:

It never fails though, the tool you need you can never find. Even with all my compulsive organizing and cleaning, I still find myself standing there scratching my head, saying "Now where the hell did it go, HONEY!!, have you been in my shop again".

Let me tell ya, I went out of town on business recently and my "honey" tried to do something "sweet" for me. She and her best friend reorganized the garage where all of my hunting equipment and tools reside...I came home from the airport, opened the garage door and was amazed with how clean and organized everything was. After several frustrating weeks of trying to find my deer call, etc. I now have "calmly" expressed that those "surprises" are no longer necessary...God love her. Hope you noticed all the quotation marks.

LIGHT !!!! LIGHT !!!!! LIGHT!!!!!!!
I have seen guys build nice guns on anything from a kitchen table to shop built bench that cant be beat.
BUT the most important thing IMHO is where it is located.
You MUST have good lighting!
If you cant see you cant do a good job.
So as important as your bench and even your tools, it is where the bench is.
You can have the very best of everything, but if you cannot see.......?
Just my thoughts

When I reach the point where I spend more time looking for a tool than using it, I clean up.

Back