• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe he mentions that particular revolver is 60 years old. I am sure some things have loosened up in the last 6 decades. Given the groups he was shooting I may try tapping on the wedge on my 51 Navy. It is only 25 years old. 😂

I believe he mentions that particular revolver is 60 years old. I am sure some things have loosened up in the last 6 decades. Given the groups he was shooting I may try tapping on the wedge on my 51 Navy. It is only 25 years old. 😂

Ha ha, I believe you're right and with a correct build (such as an original), you wouldn't have things "loosen up". The originals I've had the pleasure to handle didn't need "tapping" of any kind!!
Given the groups he was shooting. I wonder how much better an original would have done, rather than one he had to "fix" from shot to shot . . .

You guys are so much smarter than the "idiots" that designed these revolvers, too bad you weren't there to help "correct" their idiocy!!

Mike

Last edited:
Given that my Uberti Navy with 5,000+ rounds through it will pretty much disassemble itself with a little push on the wedge, I can see how a very early Uberti from the 1960's is probably a little more than well broken in . That thing has probably been apart a zillion times

Ha ha, I believe you're right and with a correct build (such as an original), you wouldn't have things "loosen up". The originals I've had the pleasure to handle didn't need "tapping" of any kind!!
Given the groups he was shooting. I wonder how much better an original would have done, rather than one he had to "fix" from shot to shot . . .

You guys are so much smarter than the "idiots" that designed these revolvers, too bad you weren't there to help "correct" their idiocy!!

Mike
This particular revolver is 60 years old and unless ol’ capnball used his Navy for competition, I would bet it’s got more lead down the pipe than his does. It’s really fortunate it survives in this condition considering it wasn’t “fixed“ until a couple of years and 2000+ rounds ago. That’s a 50 yard group fired off the tonneau cover of my highly stable pickup truck. Maybe a fluke but this gun shoots that well. Whenever I do… maybe I’ll start tapping.

Attachments

• 3D0B2E57-7595-4351-AB65-39A87430EECB.jpeg
    3D0B2E57-7595-4351-AB65-39A87430EECB.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
This particular revolver is 60 years old and unless ol’ capnball used his Navy for competition, I would bet it’s got more lead down the pipe than his does. It’s really fortunate it survives in this condition considering it wasn’t “fixed“ until a couple of years and 2000+ rounds ago. That’s a 50 yard group fired off the tonneau cover of my highly stable pickup truck. Maybe a fluke but this gun shoots that well. Whenever I do… maybe I’ll start tapping.
I would be happy with that group at 25 😀

That's great!
I doubt that if that had a loose arbor out of the box ( like some do that show up here) it probably wouldn't be the shooter that that one is today.
They are definitely not all the same . . .

Mike

That's great!
I doubt that if that had a loose arbor out of the box ( like some do that show up here) it probably wouldn't be the shooter that that one is today.
They are definitely not all the same . . .

Mike
It’s tight. Was tight in the beginning too. Guido probably built it on a Tuesday, just hitting his stride no doubt…

That's a beautiful revolver, I hope mine looks that good some day. I better get on the stick, I'm 56, I don't have 59 years to accomplish that!
Great shooting, by the way 👍

I love Dr Nemeth but him tapping the wedge with the flask kinda made my skin crawl

I'm assuming he was trying to make sure the wedge was tight to ensure the POI remains the same
It’s amazing how some people have no ‘feel’ for the mechanics of the gun, I have watched mature shooters mostly in competition and there are a subtle few that are just ’rough with their stuff’
All my guns travel in their own fleece lined slips and are never abused, yes they are tools but nor are my tools abused! I shoot alongside an ex champion (no names here) and he is rough, his guns are knocked about and his tools are the same, even his range box, which was bought about a month before mine looks like it’s on its last legs. Why??

You said it, John, some people are just rough.Things are made to be used, not looked at. I use my guns, try to give them good care, but I don't mind honest beauty marks. I don't throw them around though

It’s amazing how some people have no ‘feel’ for the mechanics of the gun, I have watched mature shooters mostly in competition and there are a subtle few that are just ’rough with their stuff’
All my guns travel in their own fleece lined slips and are never abused, yes they are tools but nor are my tools abused! I shoot alongside an ex champion (no names here) and he is rough, his guns are knocked about and his tools are the same, even his range box, which was bought about a month before mine looks like it’s on its last legs. Why??
We all know the people who are ham handed and just abuse everything

I don't baby my "using guns" but I also don't just drop wood stocked rifles 2 feet onto a range table , have guns that look like they were cleaned with wire brushes or just beat on my guns.

I'm into casting bullets as well as the guns that shoot them, so I take care of my moulds. I loaned the ham handed guy a mould and hickory knocker once.....ONCE. He used a hammer to cut the sprues.
Random Range memories- I let a friendly guy try my 8-shot .357 Redhawk and after he shoots the 8 shots he Hollywood flips my cylinder open, on my new $1200 gun......I'm like ok give me the gun , you just did the absolute worst thing you can do to a revolver.....have a good day please dissapear

Random Range memories- I let a friendly guy try my 8-shot .357 Redhawk and after he shoots the 8 shots he Hollywood flips my cylinder open, on my new $1200 gun......I'm like ok give me the gun , you just did the absolute worst thing you can do to a revolver.....have a good day please dissapear
On the plus side I guess he didn’t get a chance to flip it closed!!!

On the plus side I guess he didn’t get a chance to flip it closed!!!
or free spin the cylinder.

Back