• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you do and I agree with you and I know he's a champion shooter. I just think he would do better if the revolver was the same for each shot. Don't see how that can be if you're tapping the wedge between the shots.

Mike
Hmmm.... maybe by the tapping the wedge he "IS" making sure its the same every shot, he could have an issue with it loosening during firing and loading cylinders? If so tappig would return the wedge/tightness back to "start" each time. I dunno, he shoots almost as good as me so....

You’re a model of restraint… where do people learn this manure?
It's like people who rarely if ever shoot handguns or any guns, think that the garbage we see in movies is real. And/or they didn't have positive "gun guy" role models growing up because no one who grew up learning to shoot the right way would ever snap cylinders open or shut on a revolver.

Luckily it's a Ruger and he didn't spring the crane , it's just rude and ignorant to do that kind of c rap to other people's guns

It's like people who rarely if ever shoot handguns or any guns, think that the garbage we see in movies is real. And/or they didn't have positive "gun guy" role models growing up because no one who grew up learning to shoot the right way would ever snap cylinders open or shut on a revolver.

Luckily it's a Ruger and he didn't spring the crane , it's just rude and ignorant to do that kind of c rap to other people's guns
And sometimes dangerous. A friend of mine wanted his Enfield unmentionable massaged into a defensive pistol. It’s a DAO 6’ barreled pistol chambered in .38 S&W, with a rough action, crappy grips, and parkerized finish. He’s kind of a cheapskate and after I urged him to sell it and buy something more suitable I finally caved. Stripped the gun, cleaned polished, learned the ins and outs of the Enfield action and then polished the entire exterior before bluing it, fitting a really nice pair of walnut grips along the lines of the Hogue one piece smooth combat grips. Prettiest Enfield ever, if I do say it… he took it home and some years later told me that the gun would accidentally discharge. “What?!” How does a DAO revolver AD?“ HE SWEARS, on a stck of bibles that it discharged as he was closing the action. Not possible, Ruger copied the Enfield transfer bar in new model Blackhawks and others. Long story short, I haven’t invited him back to shoot with us. Negligence is one thing, lying about it is way too cavalier in my opinion. We don’t get do-overs in this game. Leave the Hollywood bs to the anti gun actors who don’t have to pay for the guns they abuse and can kill folks negligently and walk away scott free.

And sometimes dangerous. A friend of mine wanted his Enfield unmentionable massaged into a defensive pistol. It’s a DAO 6’ barreled pistol chambered in .38 S&W, with a rough action, crappy grips, and parkerized finish. He’s kind of a cheapskate and after I urged him to sell it and buy something more suitable I finally caved. Stripped the gun, cleaned polished, learned the ins and outs of the Enfield action and then polished the entire exterior before bluing it, fitting a really nice pair of walnut grips along the lines of the Hogue one piece smooth combat grips. Prettiest Enfield ever, if I do say it… he took it home and some years later told me that the gun would accidentally discharge. “What?!” How does a DAO revolver AD?“ HE SWEARS, on a stck of bibles that it discharged as he was closing the action. Not possible, Ruger copied the Enfield transfer bar in new model Blackhawks and others. Long story short, I haven’t invited him back to shoot with us. Negligence is one thing, lying about it is way too cavalier in my opinion. We don’t get do-overs in this game. Leave the Hollywood bs to the anti gun actors who don’t have to pay for the guns they abuse and can kill folks negligently and walk away scott free.
The clown probably pulled the trigger and ND'd, and of course it's the guns "fault"

Like the guy at my job who ND'd a Glock into the ground while clearing it and claimed it went off by itself

Did it have a short arbor?
Open top guns flex when they fire and the tap on top the barrel returns them to battery each time. My guess is a loose arbor or poor( Ioose/battered) wedge fit.
This also speaks to both the accuracy and longevity of short arbor guns !
The loading lever latch could use some attention as well.
I wonder what the gap is!

Last edited:
Open top guns flex when they fire and the tap on top the barrel returns them to battery each time. My guess is a loose arbor or poor( Ioose/battered) wedge fit.
This also speaks to both the accuracy and longevity of short arbor guns !
The loading lever latch could use some attention as well.
I wonder what the gap is!

Nope, they don't "flex" any more than any modern SA does if set up correctly. With a revolver built as designed, they can't "flex" any more than a modern example.

Mike

Nope, they don't "flex" any more than any modern SA does if set up correctly. With a revolver built as designed, they can't "flex" any more than a modern example.

Mike
I completely disagree with you on this aspect and I've been working on them for many years as well !

I completely disagree with you on this aspect and I've been working on them for many years as well !

That's ok, you can disagree all you want but that's the way it is. You try to measure the originals by the reproductions. That's not how they work.

Mike

Making a "perfect" wedge won't allow an open-top with a short arbor to shoot "Ruger only" loads, like I do, with Dragoon revolvers as well as belt pistols.

Mike

The clown probably pulled the trigger and ND'd, and of course it's the guns "fault"

Like the guy at my job who ND'd a Glock into the ground while clearing it and claimed it went off by itself
Yeah, he had just loaded it and ND’s into his grandmother’s antique headboard. Wanted me to see about repairing the hole. I don’t believe he’d have ever mentioned it but for that… a surprising number of people I know have ND’d DA revolvers thinking they weren’t loaded, a couple I know have pulled the trigger on unloaded single actions… seems like much of the exercise I get anymore is shaking my head…

Yeah, he had just loaded it and ND’s into his grandmother’s antique headboard. Wanted me to see about repairing the hole. I don’t believe he’d have ever mentioned it but for that… a surprising number of people I know have ND’d DA revolvers thinking they weren’t loaded, a couple I know have pulled the trigger on unloaded single actions… seems like much of the exercise I get anymore is shaking my head…
People blame everything but themselves....

My coworker who is apparently a functional alcoholic told me he "capped one off" through his S&W 686 he recently bought and there must be something wrong with it. He was playing with the hammer, and the hammer slipped and it fired.....I'm like obviously the gun was loaded......so you were playing with the action on a loaded revolver, by cocking it and lowering the hammer and you "missed" the hammer and ......it fired, like it's supposed to.....but there's something wrong with the gun........

I've been around many ND's, or AD's, and only one was actually the result of a mechanical failure on a rifle that was pointed down range on a hot range, so there was no safety issue.

People who "accidentally " are firing all these guns in bedrooms, basements, dens , kitchens etc. because "something broke inside " the gun 😃 but you ask them why they were loading guns or working actions on guns that were pointed into walls or ceilings , and are they sure "something broke" or are they just being unsafe and it's just a dumbfounded look like "no the guns broke"

I watched a Chaplain ND his M9 Beretta at least 4 times into a clearing barrel before someone helped him. And reinforced that the magazine must be removed to clear a gun.....and Chappy still insisted there was something wrong with the pistol

That's ok, you can disagree all you want but that's the way it is. You try to measure the originals by the reproductions. That's not how they work.

Take any of your open frame guns and put the barrel in a padded vice then push and pull on the grip butt now do the same with a sold frame gun. You will instantly have a rigidness comparison that is undeniable.
Any of the slip fit joints machined into open frame guns (wedge, arbor , lug pins. etc. have clearance tolerance that allow them to be joined and they move in these tolerances upon firing no matter how hard you jamb the arbor end into the well bottom or how hard you pound the wedge in.
The secret to making them accurate is to make them move the same way every time not in trying to make them into a rigid design, something they never were nor will be.

Mike

Mike
No I don't, I work with what I'm given and apply what experience has taught actually works ! The guns simply don't care wither or not the arbor end is fit up tight to be accurate or to last for decades of continual use without failing. I've said over and over tight arbor fit is a good thing but is not critical to accuracy or longevity!
Truth is most of them out there are in this condition from the factory and just keep going. Can they be improved, certainly so, but custom work is not going to be the destiny for the majority of them.

Last edited:
People blame everything but themselves....

My coworker who is apparently a functional alcoholic told me he "capped one off" through his S&W 686 he recently bought and there must be something wrong with it. He was playing with the hammer, and the hammer slipped and it fired.....I'm like obviously the gun was loaded......so you were playing with the action on a loaded revolver, by cocking it and lowering the hammer and you "missed" the hammer and ......it fired, like it's supposed to.....but there's something wrong with the gun........

I've been around many ND's, or AD's, and only one was actually the result of a mechanical failure on a rifle that was pointed down range on a hot range, so there was no safety issue.

People who "accidentally " are firing all these guns in bedrooms, basements, dens , kitchens etc. because "something broke inside " the gun 😃 but you ask them why they were loading guns or working actions on guns that were pointed into walls or ceilings , and are they sure "something broke" or are they just being unsafe and it's just a dumbfounded look like "no the guns broke"

I watched a Chaplain ND his M9 Beretta at least 4 times into a clearing barrel before someone helped him. And reinforced that the magazine must be removed to clear a gun.....and Chappy still insisted there was something wrong with the pistol
A buddy of mine from high school became a cop and once while I was home on leave ND’d a Detonics 45 into his desk drawer. The bullet bounced around the bay and came to rest on the floor spinning… no idea how close either of us came to getting punched but according to him the gun was defective. Of course… I didn’t hang with him much after that. He also popped a couple into a clearing barrel after “unloading“ an M19 Smith… (clearing
barrels… ‘ other sore subject) I submit that Chaplains should trust their God a bit more, I don’t think I’ve met one I’d trust around firearms.

Have you ever had an AD? I must run with a dangerous and honest crowd as I can't remember any of them I've asked not having had at least one including me ! The saving grace was in the habit of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction hence no injury only soiled shorts !

Back