• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very seldom. In fact, hardly ever do I see a copperhead and never have seen a rattlesnake here or Tennessee.

Whenever a dog gets bitten by a copperhead, they swell up kind of bad but very seldom do the dogs die. After the second or third snake bite, they become immune to it.

In terms of myself (unless I were to get bitten on my right leg that 8 months ago got a new knee, or perhaps my jugular vain) I’ve made up my mind that if I get bitten by a copperhead, I’m not going in for medical treatment. Won’t be fun but I’ll get through it.

The old timers here used to wrap the bitten area with a rag soaked in coal oil.
I dunno Ed. I'd still go in. Especially if a young snake gets you. They tend to give ya everything they've got as far as venom.

...I’ve made up my mind that if I get bitten by a copperhead, I’m not going in for medical treatment. Won’t be fun but I’ll get through it...

Ed, I know I speak for all your friends in here when I ask, PLEASE reconsider that.

We had a death from a copperhead bite near here [ LINK ] several years back.

Last edited:
For those of you that squirrel hunt in warmer weather or warmer climates how frequent have your venomous snake encounters been?

Speaking as one who squirrel hunts with a half blind dog, I prefer not to see a venomous snake. I'm sure the vet bill for a snake bite would be pricey, if the dog would even survive the trip.

Great way to display the skins though, especially like them on the bow limbs.

Jeff
Not very often, but I don’t squirrel hunt much until cooler weather. I may go on opening day just to go and maybe once more before cool weather. I stick to atv roads and am very careful where I put my feet, hands and bottom. I’m more bothered by skeeters, ticks, spiders and yeller jackets.

I prefer winter time for squirrel hunting. One of my favorite hunts was with the Fusil de Chasse, two inches of snow and twenty four degrees. It’s hard to beat flintlocks and winter.

Agreed that the other critters are more of a concern than the snakes, at least for me. I see yellow jackets active at the slightest warm up in the fall and even early winter.

Had one serious bout of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was much younger, so I now check for ticks thoroughly.

I suppose coyotes are a greater risk to my old dog than snakes, although I did have an owl try to grab him once. Never know if the threat is coming from the ground or the air.

Enjoying the great outdoors has its risks but well worth it in the end.

Jeff

I dunno Ed. I'd still go in. Especially if a young snake gets you. They tend to give ya everything they've got as far as venom.
Truth be known, I’m 100 times more afraid of those goons at the nearest hospital here than a copperhead bite. The nearest halfway decent hospital is one hours drive.

Last edited:
Agreed that the other critters are more of a concern than the snakes, at least for me. I see yellow jackets active at the slightest warm up in the fall and even early winter.

Had one serious bout of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was much younger, so I now check for ticks thoroughly.

I suppose coyotes are a greater risk to my old dog than snakes, although I did have an owl try to grab him once. Never know if the threat is coming from the ground or the air.

Enjoying the great outdoors has its risks but well worth it in the end.

Jeff
I had a pair of Jack Russells that got bit by a copperhead. It was in my back yard about 20 feet from my house. I was on the mower and saw it happen but didn’t realize it at first. They were in taller grass at the edge of the mowed part. One got bit twice. I kilt the snake by running over it with my mower.

I took them to the vet after their heads swelled up as big as a soccer ball. My concern was, considering they both got bit on the nose, that they might not be able to breathe later in the night. Vet gave them something for pain and said that’s all he could do. He also told me that if they get bitten a second time it would not be nearly as bad. After a 3rd time they become immune to it and it will barely phase them. It cost me just under $500.00.

Also, Yellowjackets are my number one hated insect. Much, much more than ticks, spiders, chiggers, skeeters, gnats and all of those combined. They not only sting, but they bite at the same time. Their bites are worse than their stings. A few years ago I got covered up with them one day while bow hunting. Knelt down to saw off a small sapling and didn’t know there was a nest underneath it. They went up my sleeves, under my shirt, under my glasses and all over my arms. They were so dug into my skin on my arms that I had a difficult time trying to brush them off of my arms. It physically made me sick for hours due to so many stings and bites. I was ticked off for months over that one.

The good aspect of Yellowjackets are, they’re not much of a problem unless you get into a nest of them. By that time it’s usually too late.

Hate them!

Last edited:
Tom, I’ve always heard that about the smaller copperheads will inject more venom into a person than a larger one. Even the vet told me that. However, I’ve had people tell me otherwise. So, I did some research on this. It appears there are no concrete evidence to this either way. It depends on the information. It is said that some copperhead bites are dry. So, that supports the theory that they can regulate their venom output. It is also said that copperheads definitely regulate their venom output on their prey. They only inject enough into them to either kill them on the spot or incapacitate them. Sometimes they even follow the scent that a bitten prey animal leaves as it crawls away until it dies.

Either way, I seldom see a copperhead anywhere. I’ve killed more here at my house than anywhere else. I’ve only killed two here, one got away. One was under my firewood pile. Saw one a few years ago when I was cutting firewood. It was under a chunk of wood I had cut and went back to get. That was a big one but he got away. It was also on top of a ridge

The neighbors at the house at the end of our short and narrow road sees them every year. So, this tells me that copperheads definitely like to hang out on ridges, especially south facing ones.

Either way, as much as this ole boy is in the woods during hot weather seasons, I seldom see any kind of snake. This, IMO, can be a bad thing as it makes it easy to let my guard down a little at times and take more chances. As I have said, due to this knee replacement, I’m going to be wearing my snake gators more often. I scout a lot of new to me places and some of it is thicker than thick where it’s impossible to see where I’m putting my feet down. Snaky looking for sure. You just never know when or where a poisonous snake may be. I almost stepped on a copperhead a few years ago. It was difficult to stop my foot from going all the way down as I stepped over a forked log. That copperhead was stretched out along the opposite side of the log to where it was not visible from the other side. Even after I saw it, due to my foot on its way and being almost on the ground, it was difficult to make it to where I was able to plant my foot about 18 inches away instead of right on top of the snake.

By far, rattlesnakes are my biggest concern. I’m glad they are even more rare around here.

I’ll be wearing my snake gators this weekend for opening of squirrel season. Yes they are uncomfortable but they do allow me to focus more out in front, side to side and above me instead of worrying about a possible snake that I’m about to step on. So, snake gators definitely have more than just one advantage.

I thank you all that have given Input on this. I would be wise if and when I ever finally convince myself that I’m no longer a young, bullet proof man that can withstand anything.

Last edited:
Not the best pics of the frontier rifle but it is what I have at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F29722F2-7C18-4ED2-A0A7-9B0894BB2CB2.jpeg
    F29722F2-7C18-4ED2-A0A7-9B0894BB2CB2.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
For those of you that squirrel hunt in warmer weather or warmer climates how frequent have your venomous snake encounters been?

Speaking as one who squirrel hunts with a half blind dog, I prefer not to see a venomous snake. I'm sure the vet bill for a snake bite would be pricey, if the dog would even survive the trip.

Great way to display the skins though, especially like them on the bow limbs.

Jeff
Copperheads are to be watched out for. Never put hands nor feet where you haven't inspected. I usually carry a pistol w rat shot.

Copperheads are to be watched out for. Never put hands nor feet where you haven't inspected. I usually carry a pistol w rat shot.
That’s true, they should always be watched out for. The problem is, regardless of how well a person tries, as I have for many years, they cannot always be seen. You won’t be hunting many places in this part of the country where you can always see where you put your feet down. Just the way it is.

A big stick is all that’s needed to kill one. Some people claim a narrow switch type branch will work but I’m not interested in trying it.

Also, research indicates that a high percentage of copperhead bites occur at peoples residences. There was a fellow that lived on another road not far from me in TN that got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. He got bit on one of his toes from a copperhead that got into his house.

Last edited:
if I get bitten by a copperhead, I’m not going in for medical treatment. Won’t be fun but I’ll get through it.
The thing about it is the venom does serious and some permanent damage to the muscular and vascular system in the bite area. Treatment could mitigate that. Then there's the antivenom that your local hospital probably has on hand.
I took them to the vet after their heads swelled up as big as a soccer ball. My concern was, considering they both got bit on the nose, that they might not be able to breathe later in the night. Vet gave them something for pain and said that’s all he could do. He also told me that if they get bitten a second time it would not be nearly as bad. After a 3rd time they become immune to it and it will barely phase them. It cost me just under $500.00.
And there's your alternate solution. Go to that vet for treatment. 🤣
Also, Yellowjackets are my number one hated insect
I'm not sure exactly what a yellow jacket is or how they fit in with the other stingers. About three weeks ago I was trimming some limbs while standing on a rail tie garden divider. There was a nest in a space between ties. I cut a limb that fell on the ties. Apparently me standing on the ties, the limb falling and the sound of the electric trimmer set them off. I was swarmed and getting stung everywhere. I ran for the door and closed it behind me and the battle continued in the kitchen. By the time the incident was over I was stung a counted 31 times everywhere from feet (wearing sandals and shorts) to my neck. Luckily none got me on the head. I'm still not completely over it!!

When the "Battle Of The Kitchen" was over the enemy lay dead on the floor!

20240730_153548_copy_600x800.jpg

The thing about it is the venom does serious and some permanent damage to the muscular and vascular system in the bite area. Treatment could mitigate that. Then there's the antivenom that your local hospital probably has on hand.

I'm not sure exactly what a yellow jacket is or how they fit in with the other stingers. About three weeks ago I was trimming some limbs while standing on a rail tie garden divider. There was a nest in a space between ties. I cut a limb that fell on the ties. Apparently me standing on the ties, the limb falling and the sound of the electric trimmer set them off. I was swarmed and getting stung everywhere. I ran for the door and closed it behind me and the battle continued in the kitchen. By the time the incident was over I was stung a counted 31 times everywhere from feet (wearing sandals and shorts) to my neck. Luckily none got me on the head. I'm still not completely over it!!

View attachment 341711
Mike, sorry to hear about that. Those do not look like Yellowjackets. Best I can see in the pic, those are darker looking.

Do a search on Yellowjackets so you can see what they look like. If it was, indeed, Yellowjackets that you got into, you should know by the he fact that they bite and sting at the same time. The bites hurt more in the long term. They itch and burn for at least a week. They dig in so hard when they bite it’s difficult to brush them off of your body. I swear, if Yellowjackets got the size of a sparrow, just one could kill a moose. They are the meanest little things I’ve ever encountered.

BTW, if I ever do get bitten by a copperhead, I’d much rather go to a vet than this local, poor excuse for a hospital here. Yes, they are that bad and most people around here know it.

Last edited:
I looked them up per your suggestion. That was them! They look dark on the floor but they looked just like the pics in the search. I wasn't aware that they bite and sting.:eek: I probably got both.

The worst of them seemed to dissolve the flesh like a spider bite.
Yup. Very mean little 🤬 They eat holes in a body when they bite. They literally eat the skin away.

Ya know, Yellowjackets are not all that bad until you get into a nest of them. Then things turn really bad, and in a hurry, too.

Last edited:

View attachment 341711
It was a hit job Cruiser. If you follow the money trail, I bet you dollars to donuts it leads right back to the COLOY! 🤣

In all seriousness, glad to read you weren't seriously effected. That's a lot of stings! Man have killed a mortal man.

Latest posts

Back