• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you got them in KY. Look at the range map in the link above.

You're probably thinking about the eastern diamondback, Crotalus adamanteus (itself a nightmare).
According to the KY Fish and Wildlife website, there are no canebrake snakes here. There are pigmy rattlers in a tiny portion of the southwest of the state, I think 3 counties.

Timber rattlers are here for sure and cottonmouths are in the western part of the state. Copperheads are the primary poisonous snakes by far.

For the record, This ole boy don’t like any of them.

With all this slithering snake gibberish from Ya’ll lately, you got me spooked now. So much so that I slept with my snake gators on last night. I did pull them off before I took a shower, then they went right back on my legs. 😁

Getting ready to head out for fall season opener of squirrel season. I’m wearing those loathsome snake gators today. Dang it all anyhow.

Last edited:
According to the KY Fish and Wildlife website, there are no canebrake snakes here. There are pigmy rattlers in a tiny portion of the southwest of the state, I think 3 counties.

Timber rattlers are here for sure and cottonmouths are in the western part of the state. Copperheads are the primary poisonous snakes by far.

For the record, This ole boy don’t like any of them.

With all this slithering snake gibberish from Ya’ll lately, you got me a spooked now. So much so that I slept with my snake gators on last night. I did pull them off before I took a shower, then they went right back on my legs. 😁

Getting ready to head out for fall season opener of squirrel season. I’m wearing those loathsome snake gators today. Dang it all anyhow.
Shoot straight and be safe Amigo!

According to the KY Fish and Wildlife website, there are no canebrake snakes here...

Hmm.. Colloquial naming can confuse. But, from the link I posted a while back:

" The timber rattlesnake, canebrake rattlesnake, or banded rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) is a species of pit viper endemic to eastern North America. "

It's the same snake, with local names. If you've got timbers, you've got canebrakes.

LOL sorry about another snake post, Ed. I try to stop, but y'all keep baiting me back into it 🤣.

Well, I didn’t even pull the hammer back the first time this morning. Got out of my truck and didn’t walk 3 minutes until I heard leaves moving above me. It was only 0655 hrs so still fairly dark in the woods. There was a gray squirrel right above me but he was all over the place. As I was moving off to the side of the narrow road, the darn thing jumped on a larger dead branch about 15 feet above my head and ran out to the end and had to stop. I thought sure he had seen me but I reminded still and he never. No way could I make that shot directly over my head offhanded. Mr. Squirrel turned around and ran up the tree higher and went to grabbing acorns. The wind was picking up already and between the limbs moving everywhere, plus the moisture falling as a result, I wasted 25 minutes on that squirrel until I could no longer keep track of him.

Moved around for a while trying my best to go where the wind wasn’t, but it was just too frustrating. I found one other small area where the wind was blowing off and on, and I did try to put the sneak on 3 other squirrels but the outcome was the same. Can’t squirrel hunt during early season in windy conditions. In total, I saw 7 squirrels this morning.

The bad part is, I only found two hickory trees for sure that had dropped nuts, or squirrels knocked them down. One was small and had been chewed on.

That particular location on that ridge up higher is hurting for hickory trees. All the squirrels were cutting on acorns. Saw 3 squirrels in the roadway eating on some kind of buds or something off of the pavement on the way out.

Weather permitting, the plan of action in the morning is to go back to that same general area and go downhill until I reach the edges of some fields and the river. Should be hickory trees down there, maybe even some walnut trees. It appears to be a pretty good walk down to there, and it’s definitely back uphill on the return trip. Laid awake most of the night last night and didn’t have it in me this morning to go that far. Pretty sure my batteries will be recharged by morning. Either way, I’m going and I’m going to make it to that river and fields no matter what.

Last edited:
Back to topic or squirrel huntint.

The custom rat bastids are racking my nieghbors bird feeder...

Sometimes I wonder?

Well, I didn’t even pull the hammer back the first time this morning. Got out of my truck and didn’t walk 3 minutes until I heard leaves moving above me. It was only 0655 hrs so still fairly dark in the woods. There was a gray squirrel right above me but he was all over the place. As I was moving off to the side of the narrow road, the darn thing jumped on a larger dead branch about 15 feet above my head and ran out to the end and had to stop. I thought sure he had seen me but I reminded still and he never. No way could I make that shot directly over my head offhanded. Mr. Squirrel turned around and ran up the tree higher and went to grabbing acorns. The wind was picking up already and between the limbs moving everywhere, plus the moisture falling as a result, I wasted 25 minutes on that squirrel until I could no longer keep track of him.

Moved around for a while trying my best to go where the wind wasn’t, but it was just too frustrating. I found one other small area where the wind was blowing off and on, and I did try to put the sneak on 3 other squirrels but the outcome was the same. Can’t squirrel hunt during early season in windy conditions. In total, I saw 7 squirrels this morning.

The bad part is, I only found two hickory trees for sure that had dropped nuts, or squirrels knocked them down. One was small and had been chewed on.

That particular location on that ridge up higher is hurting for hickory trees. All the squirrels were cutting on acorns. Saw 3 squirrels in the roadway eating on some kind of buds or something off of the pavement on the way out.

Weather permitting, the plan of action in the morning is to go back to that same general area and go downhill until I reach the edges of some fields and the river. Should be hickory trees down there, maybe even some walnut trees. It appears to be a pretty good walk down to there, and it’s definitely back uphill on the return trip. Laid awake most of the night last night and didn’t have it in me this morning to go that far. Pretty sure my batteries will be recharged by morning. Either way, I’m going and I’m going to make it to that river and fields no matter what.
None of us on here are going to bet against it brother Ed. You're gonna be breaking in that pressure pot mamma got for you in no time.

Hmm.. Colloquial naming can confuse. But, from the link I posted a while back:

" The timber rattlesnake, canebrake rattlesnake, or banded rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) is a species of pit viper endemic to eastern North America. "

It's the same snake, with local names. If you've got timbers, you've got canebrakes.

LOL sorry about another snake post, Ed. I try to stop, but y'all keep baiting me back into it 🤣.
No problem, Stan.

It was actually a good thing that I wore my snake gators yesterday. It adds more time for looking for squirrels, dens, hickory trees, etc, rather than being concerned about perhaps stepping on a dang snake. Still have to look where I’m putting down my feet, due to trying to be quiet and not breaking any branches, but not nearly as much.

No problem, Stan.

... I wore my snake gators yesterday...

Ed, good job.

27 days til AL opening day.

I'm going down to my property this Tues to put up a gate. Will do some scouting around. Ain't no ifs, ands, or buts, that place is a freakin' snake den.

Think I'll see if local Cabela's has those snake leggings; I've got $$ left on a gift card.

Last edited:
Twas an interesting opening weekend of the fall Squirrel season here for this ole boy. Due to the weather, not much actual hunting as it was scouting. Wind and rain still prevalent even this morning. Covered a lot of ground at a somewhat fast pace. Couldn’t see the squirrels up in the trees anyway and not many on the ground.

Yesterday I walked hard for 5.5 hours in search of things that interests me. I found some scattered around but not much. I was able to locate some hickory’s way back in there that squirrels had been cutting on big time. Maybe they were still there, IDK, due to the wind. It’s very thick and dark in between the many finger ridges where the hickory trees are located. Not very user friendly.

I was able to score two squirrels. One had seen me first and jumped up on a big pine and went straight up to nearly the top. I froze for a few minutes and gave him time. Then I eased over to a suitable tree to take a rest from. I finally saw that little bugger move and stretch out on about a two inch horizontal limb and stop. I’m actually surprised I got that one because he was way up yonder and not much to aim for the way he was holding onto that limb.

Another one I heard jump up in the lower tree limbs. It was a bit more open in there and the sun finally decided to peek out for a few minutes.

I did find a buck shed and saw a few deer. One of which was a fairly nice buck. So, that trip wasn’t totally wasted.

After arriving home I was worn out but decided to give it a go down below. I got an old warrior down there. Never seen a squirrel tail like that one.

Then, I had to dispatch a possum that thought he wanted something that didn’t belong to him. So, the ole Crockett got to sing a few times anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpeg
    IMG_2448.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2444.jpeg
    IMG_2444.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I try to stop, but y'all keep baiting me back into it 🤣.

Everybody loves A snake topic. 🤣

Just one more comment. There is controversy about this but there is enough positive reporting to make one wonder.

Ecuadorians who live back in the jungle are said to successfully use low amp high voltage shocks to treat snake bite. Things like stun guns. Some research has been done and some says "Nah" and some reports success. No links for you but easy to find in a search.

Maybe you southern boys should be carrying stun guns. o_O

Not reading or posting as much lately. Screen time is affecting my vision.

Back