• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made a variety of loading blocks in different calibers and designs, to include .32 and .36. If anyone has the want or need, feel free to send me a message. My only flintlock currently is a .50cal, but my next purchase is going to be a .36 for squirl. Lots of useful information in this thread!

Twas an interesting opening weekend of the fall Squirrel season here for this ole boy. Due to the weather, not much actual hunting as it was scouting. Wind and rain still prevalent even this morning. Covered a lot of ground at a somewhat fast pace. Couldn’t see the squirrels up in the trees anyway and not many on the ground.

Yesterday I walked hard for 5.5 hours in search of things that interests me. I found some scattered around but not much. I was able to locate some hickory’s way back in there that squirrels had been cutting on big time. Maybe they were still there, IDK, due to the wind. It’s very thick and dark in between the many finger ridges where the hickory trees are located. Not very user friendly.

I was able to score two squirrels. One had seen me first and jumped up on a big pine and went straight up to nearly the top. I froze for a few minutes and gave him time. Then I eased over to a suitable tree to take a rest from. I finally saw that little bugger move and stretch out on about a two inch horizontal limb and stop. I’m actually surprised I got that one because he was way up yonder and not much to aim for the way he was holding onto that limb.

Another one I heard jump up in the lower tree limbs. It was a bit more open in there and the sun finally decided to peek out for a few minutes.

I did find a buck shed and saw a few deer. One of which was a fairly nice buck. So, that trip wasn’t totally wasted.

After arriving home I was worn out but decided to give it a go down below. I got an old warrior down there. Never seen a squirrel tail like that one.

Then, I had to dispatch a possum that thought he wanted something that didn’t belong to him. So, the ole Crockett got to sing a few times anyway.
Good to see that ya got ya couple squirrels. Cool looking Is shed. Stopped a thieving possum. Plus some good scouting. With wind and rain and so user friendly terrain, sounds like ya had successful time in the woods.
Good going Buddy.

I've made a variety of loading blocks in different calibers and designs, to include .32 and .36. If anyone has the want or need, feel free to send me a message. My only flintlock currently is a .50cal, but my next purchase is going to be a .36 for squirl. Lots of useful information in this thread!
Indeed, I’m sold on loading blocks for squirrel hunting at a minimum.

Good to see that ya got ya couple squirrels. Cool looking Is shed. Stopped a thieving possum. Plus some good scouting. With wind and rain and so user friendly terrain, sounds like ya had successful time in the woods.
Good going Buddy.
Fred, I’ve not been seeing the number of squirrels anywhere in the last 4-5 days or so. Not even behind my house. Indeed, the weather has not been good for squirrels lately. Also, it has been full moon again. Generally speaking, I’ve never done as well during full moon as other times of darker nights.

The weather folks have forecast a nice, clear, sunny day and being cooler. There will be wind but I’m hoping I can get out of it by moving to the other side of the hills. Today it’s all about squirrel hunting. No cell phone, no backpack, no maps.

I’ll continue scouting in a few days.

Fred, I’ve not been seeing the number of squirrels anywhere in the last 4-5 days or so. Not even behind my house. Indeed, the weather has not been good for squirrels lately. Also, it has been full moon again. Generally speaking, I’ve never done as well during full moon as other times of darker nights.

The weather folks have forecast a nice, clear, sunny day and being cooler. There will be wind but I’m hoping I can get out of it by moving to the other side of the hills. Today it’s all about squirrel hunting. No cell phone, no backpack, no maps.

I’ll continue scouting in a few days.
Go get em...

Ed, I know there is a few hundred miles between us, not sure if it's the moon or not. It's seems there is more late afternoon early activity. When we take the dog out around 0700 to 0730 he's been treeing several squirrels in different trees.

Good luck, Ed

Everybody loves A snake topic. 🤣

Just one more comment. There is controversy about this but there is enough positive reporting to make one wonder.

Ecuadorians who live back in the jungle are said to successfully use low amp high voltage shocks to treat snake bite. Things like stun guns. Some research has been done and some says "Nah" and some reports success. No links for you but easy to find in a search.

Maybe you southern boys should be carrying stun guns. o_O

Not reading or posting as much lately. Screen time is affecting my vision.
Heard about that. Guys using jumper cables on bite site cooking off venom. I carry a stun gun when feeling charitable towards folks. Maybe tote one to woods now.

This one was 50 yards from my house yesterday and the neighbor missed it. I have encountered four since moving here four years ago but there has been close to twenty reported on our 1/2 mile long street. This is in SWFL.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 6.32.09 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 6.32.09 AM.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 0
I'll be heading out back to the Slough to do some hunting this weekend. For those of you who are able to go this weekend I hope you're able to go. I know some who are Patiently waiting for season to open, that day will come. Time to get in a few more practice shots, and check your hunting gear.
I'll head out early and give it a try, but I've noticed more activity early evenings so I'll give that a try also. I'll be taking my Crockett Rifle until muzzleloading season opens them I'm going to give my SMR a try. I'm deciding on whether try the pressure cooker then dredge and fry or smoke them, that's if I'm fortunate enough to make some kills. Which season open in some states and just around the corner for some, I'm looking forward to ready about squirrel hunting and seeing some pictures of the squirrels bagged, and photos of some fine and faithful guns and gear.

To All
Take Care Stay Safe

I just got back from scouting my land. No luck; didn't see anything. But the leaf and bush/brush canopy is huge this year due to abundant Spring rain. Almost impenetrable in spots. May have to wait till the leaves fall.

Last edited:
I guess it’s never going to stop this year. Been that way since spring. Can’t do very well squirrel hunting in wind like this. At least the storms and rain has went away for a while.

I spent half a day yesterday trying to hunt in wind like this, again. It makes it almost impossible. I was able to get one squirrel but only because he finally decided to come down the hickory tree that I knew there were 4 squirrels up in. The trouble was, with wind like this, it’s one of those “now you see them, now you don’t” scenarios.

That one squirrel finally decided to come down the tree head first. Its back was completely facing me. At the long distance of about 12 yards, the squirrel paused for a brief couple of seconds. The shot entered through the back just behind the front legs. After a while when I finally gave up hope for the others, I eased over and picked up my squirrel. I was surprised to find it was almost completely gutted. The entire belly was gone, along with all the entrails. Never seen that happen before like that. My guess is, it had something to do with the concussion against the tree.

Tried my luck on a couple of others in a different hickory but it was useless with wind like that. I knew they were up there. So, until this wind decides to go somewhere else, I don’t see things improving much, if any at all.

Trying to get the video to play but it too is fighting me.

Last edited:
I'll be heading out back to the Slough to do some hunting this weekend. For those of you who are able to go this weekend I hope you're able to go. I know some who are Patiently waiting for season to open, that day will come. Time to get in a few more practice shots, and check your hunting gear.
I'll head out early and give it a try, but I've noticed more activity early evenings so I'll give that a try also. I'll be taking my Crockett Rifle until muzzleloading season opens them I'm going to give my SMR a try. I'm deciding on whether try the pressure cooker then dredge and fry or smoke them, that's if I'm fortunate enough to make some kills. Which season open in some states and just around the corner for some, I'm looking forward to ready about squirrel hunting and seeing some pictures of the squirrels bagged, and photos of some fine and faithful guns and gear.

To All
Take Care Stay Safe
I like em also crock potted in BBQ sauce.

Latest posts

Back