• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter in Michigan gave us another granddaughter Sunday. We’re going out this Sunday for a few days to help out with her other kids and to see her. I KNOW I’m going to see black squirrels. They drive me nuts lol. I gotta get one!! Their season isn’t in yet though.
Congrats, Jim.

Cruiser sure has the Midas touch for squirrel trapping
Well, lately I've not been so much on my game. I have two youth of the year that are defying me. They travel the fence tops and rarely go on the ground. It's easy for them to move from fence to pear 🍐 tree to cottonwood.

They aren't doing much harm to the pears and are apparently too dumb to figure out the apple tree..... yet!

If only they knew the wonders and perfection of living in The Colony they would set the trap themselves.

Well, lately I've not been so much on my game. I have two youth of the year that are defying me. They travel the fence tops and rarely go on the ground. It's easy for them to move from fence to pear 🍐 tree to cottonwood.

They aren't doing much harm to the pears and are apparently too dumb to figure out the apple tree..... yet!

If only they knew the wonders and perfection of living in The Colony they would set the trap themselves.
They are resisting the koolaide

Well fellas, my luck changed some this morning. Due to the increased number of squirrels cutting on the many hickory trees down below my house, as well as hardly no wind, I decided to go down there this morning and try my luck. As soon as I got down there I noticed the neighborhood 10 point standing looking at me. He’s not very spooky but I still didn’t want to bother him. So, change of plans.

Headed back up the hill and parked by a den tree and waited. It was barely daylight. Looked down the hill where I had just walked up from and dang if that pesky coyote that’s been hanging around lately wasn’t standing broadside to me about 50 yards away. I couldn’t resist that opportunity so I pulled back the hammer and took aim. Just about the time I was setting in for the shot he looked up and saw me. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger he took off. I fired and I’m pretty sure I hit him back a ways. Perhaps the stomach or guts. I didn’t even bother going down there for the time being.

Back to my squirrel hunting. Saw the first squirrel at 0707 hrs. It was downhill a ways so I stood next to a tree and observed. Didn’t take long until I saw at least 3-4 more squirrels. They were all on their way to some of the hickory trees so I remained still and patient. Trying to formulate a plan was not easy during this time as I noticed at least 2 more squirrels down lower making their way to hickory trees.

Finally, after perhaps 20 minutes or so, I noticed at least 3 squirrels had made their way to one of the hickory trees that they’ve been cutting in for the last week or so. As I formulated a plan and path how to slowly work my way over to them, I heard the wrestling of leaves closer to me. So, I changed targets.

Eased my way over to the best tree I could find to use as a shield and a rest, and waited for the best shot. However, those little buggers stayed way up yonder doing what squirrels do best. Grab a hickory nut, run down the tree a little ways, then stop and have breakfast. They just would not come down lower and/or stop in a location where I could get a shot at them. This was very trying to say the least.

Finally one came down a little lower with a hickory nut in its mouth and parked on a fairly large diameter fork in the tree. It was still way up there but I’d had enough. Time to give er a try. I squeezed the trigger and down came the squirrel with a loud “thud”. I mentally marked where the squirrel hit. Alrighty then.

Remaining still for a while I finally reloaded. To my surprise, the 3-4 squirrels up in that main hickory were still cutting away on hickory nuts. So, time to ease my way over to a suitable tree that would hopefully work. While doing so I noticed at least one more squirrel downhill off to my right. However, he was on the go.

After finding the only tree I could get to without being busted, I stood there for at least 45 minutes waiting and watching. I cannot tell you how many times I pulled back the hammer thinking this time will work, only to be disappointed again. Those darn squirrels just will not remain still for more than a few seconds. As luck would have it, whenever one would stop to cut on a hickory nut, it was almost every time either out of sight obscured by leaves or branches, or up too high to shoot at. These are some tall hickory trees and I was pinned on the steep downhill side from them, making matters worse.

While standing there time after time thinking I was going to finally catch a break, but with more failure, I kept noticing this one single squirrel that kept coming up from downhill up in the trees, run up into the main hickory tree, grab a hickory nut, then head out fast like back to wherever it was he was coming from. In all honesty, this one squirrel kept doing this for well over an hour, more like two hours. Try as I did, I never once was able to get my sights on him. So, I now call him “The Runner”. My guess is that he is packing hickory nuts to a den and already stocking up. Back and forth he went, time and time again. I REALLY wanted this squirrel. There is no doubt that I pulled the hammer back at least 6-7 times on this squirrel only to have to let it back down.

Focusing back on the main tree, I watched a squirrel run up to the top, grab a hickory nut and this time he came down lower to park and eat. My guess is, and this is only a guess, it was about a 25 yard shot. Two down. Things are finally starting to go my way.

By now the breeze was picking up but not too terribly bad. Just enough to make it more difficult at times. As I stood there waiting and waiting for another shot, something caught my eye off to my right and, for the most part, a pretty steep angle. There were two more squirrels up in yet another hickory tree nearly above me. Then the two started chasing each other. Up, down, around the tree they went. It was at this time that ole ETipp got busted. Those darn squirrels came down so close to me as I was trying to get a bead on one of them, that they noticed me. That’s all it took for the music to begin. Squirrels started barking all around me. Time to freeze like a statue.

As I stood there for maybe 10 minutes or so, the barking finally stopped. About the time I started stretching my head around like a big turkey looking for a target, a squirrel started barking again right behind me, and close like too. Slowly turning my head around to take a peek, I saw that squirrel about the same time he saw me. He was sitting on a darn limb no more than 15 feet up and maybe 15 yards away. He was outta there while barking like crazy informing everything in the area of my presence.

I said to myself "Okay ETipp, forget about that one. Can’t dwell on it and you cannot win them all. Time to focus on the game here". Turning back around my eyes went back to that main hickory once again. Same old song and dance. Considering that hickory was uphill from me, and those darn Squirrels were hell bent on staying up high, I was about to give up. I’d been at this since barely daylight and it was now almost noon. Finally, a squirrel decided to make its way down lower to check out some hickory nuts down where the air contained more molecules. I watched him grab a hickory nut, then run down a little lower and stop on a limb just right for my position. Down came number three for the day.

By that time I decided to call it a day. As I walked around to gather up my squirrels I was saddened by the fact that I was not able to find number two. I have no idea where it could have gone but I was not able to find it in the under brush.

So, time to go take a look see over to where I took a shot at that coyote. Once again I came up empty handed. Im not surprised at that one considering I know that if I did him, it was pretty far back. Either way, it bothers me not, considering it’s a mangy coyote. I just hope it goes away, if it lives.

So all in all, it was my best squirrel hunt of the year so far. I loved every minute of it. The wind has decided to lie down for now and this old boy is happy about that. I might go back out this evening and give it another try.

This is a picture of that long and lean coyote that’s been hanging around here lately. I got this pic on my trail cam two nights ago.

JimK, you know the story. It’s a thousand wonders that little Chum Lee was not eaten by that flee bitten coyote.

I hate coyotes.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.png
    IMG_2451.png
    501.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well fellas, my luck changed some this morning. Due to the increased number of squirrels cutting on the many hickory trees down below my house, a well as hardly no wind, I decided to go down there this morning and try my luck. As soon as I got down there I noticed the neighborhood 10 point standing looking at me. He’s not very spooky but I still didn’t want to bother him. So, change of plans.

Headed back up the hill and parked by a den tree and waited. It was barely daylight. Looked down the hill where I had just walked up from and dang if that pesky coyote that’s been hanging around lately wasn’t standing broadside to me about 50 yards away. I couldn’t resist that opportunity so I pulled back the hammer and took aim. Just about the time I was setting in for the shot he looked up and saw me. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger he took off. I fired and I’m pretty sure I hit him back a ways. Perhaps the stomach or guts. I didn’t even bother going down there for the time being.

Back to my squirrel hunting. Saw the first squirrel at 0707 hrs. It was downhill a ways so I stood next to a tree and observed. Didn’t take long until I saw at least 3-4 more squirrels. They were all on their way to some of the hickory trees so I remained still and patient. Trying to formulate a plan was not easy during this time as I noticed at least 2 more squirrels down lower making their way to hickory trees.

Finally, after perhaps 20 minutes or so, I noticed at least 3 squirrels had made their way to one of the hickory trees that they’ve been cutting in for the last week or so. As I formulated a plan and path how to slowly work my way over to them, I heard the wrestling of leaves closer to me. So, I changed targets.

Eased my way over to the best tree I could find to use as a shield and a rest, and waited for the best shot. However, those little buggers stayed way up yonder doing what squirrels do best. Grab a hickory nut, run down the tree a little ways, then stop and have breakfast. They just would not come down lower and/or stop in a location where I could get a shot at them. This was very trying to say the least.

Finally one came down a little lower with a hickory nut in its mouth and parked on a fairly large diameter fork in the tree. It was still way up there but I’d had enough. Time to give er a try. I squeezed the trigger and down came the squirrel with a loud “thud”. I mentally marked where the squirrel hit. Alrighty then.

Remaining still for a while I finally reloaded. To my surprise, the 3-4 squirrels up in that main hickory were still cutting away on hickory nuts. So, time to ease my way over to a suitable tree that would hopefully work. While doing so I noticed at least one more squirrel downhill off to my right. However, he was on the go.

After finding the only tree I could get to without being busted, I stood there for at least 45 minutes waiting and watching. I cannot tell you how many times I pulled back the hammer thinking this time will work, only to be disappointed again. Those darn squirrels just will not remain still for more than a few seconds.

While standing there time after time thinking I was going to finally catch a break, but with more failure, I kept noticing this one single squirrel that kept coming up from downhill up in the trees, run up into the main hickory tree, grab a hickory nut, then head out fast like back to wherever it was he was coming from. In all honesty, this one squirrel kept doing this for well over an hour, more like two hours. Try as I did, I never once was able to get my sights on him. So, I now call him “The Runner”. My guess is that he is packing hickory nuts to a den and already stocking up. Back and forth he went, time and time again. I REALLY wanted this squirrel. There is no doubt that I pulled the hammer back at least 6-7 times on this squirrel only to have to let it back down.

Focusing back on the main tree, I watched a squirrel run up to the top, grab a hickory nut and this time he came down lower to park and eat. My guess is, and this is only a guess, it was about a 25 yard shot. Two down. Things are finally starting to go my way.

By now the breeze was picking up but not too terribly bad. Just enough to make it more difficult at times. As I stood there waiting and waiting for another shot, something caught my eye off to my right and, for the most part, a pretty steep angle. There were two more squirrels up in yet another hickory tree nearly above me. Then the two started chasing each other. Up, down, around the tree they went. It was at this time that ole ETipp got busted. Those darn squirrels came down so close to me that as I was trying to get a bead on one of them, they noticed me. That’s all it took for the music to begin. Squirrels started barking all around me. Time to freeze like a statue.

As I stood there for maybe 10 minutes or so, the barking finally stopped. About the time I started stretching my head around like a big turkey looking for a target, a squirrel started barking again right behind me, and close like too. Slowly turning my head around to take a peek, I saw that squirrel about the same time he saw me. He was sitting on a darn limb no more than 15 feet up and maybe 15 yards away. He was outta there while barking like crazy informing everything in the area of my presence.

I said to myself, okay ETipp, forget about that one. Can’t dwell on it and you cannot win them all. Time to focus on the game here. Turning back around my eyes went back to that main hickory once again. Same old song and dance. Considering that hickory was uphill from me, and those darn Squirrels were hell bent on staying up high, I was about to give up. I’d been at this since barely daylight and it was now almost noon. Finally, a squirrel decided to make its way down lower to check out some hickory nuts down where the air contained more molecules. I watched him grab a hickory nut, then run down a little lower and stop on a limb just right for my position. Down came number three for the day.

By that time I decided to call it a day. As I walked around to gather up my squirrels I was saddened by the fact that I was not able to find number two. I have no idea where it could have gone but I was not able to find it in the under brush.

So, time to go take a look see over to where I took a shot at that coyote. Once again I came up empty handed. Im not surprised at that one considering I know that if I did him, it was pretty far back. Either way, it bothers me not, considering it’s a mangy coyote. I just hope it goes away, if it lives.

So all in all, it was my best squirrel hunt of the year so far. I loved every minute of it. The wind has decided to lie down for now and this old boy is happy about that. I might go back out this evening and give it another try.

This is a picture of that long and lean coyote that’s been hanging around here lately. I got this pic on my trail cam two nights ago.
Good hunt 👍 it happens, losing one. I've had it happen after hitting the ground and walking straight to it, lo and behold it's gone. I think some must be VC and have a tunnel system.

Bonus coyotes are always a good thing. Even if you just winged him, the other yotes will run him down and eat him (yes, have a strong dislike of them).

Good hunt 👍 it happens, losing one. I've had it happen after hitting the ground and walking straight to it, lo and behold it's gone. I think some must be VC and have a tunnel system.

Bonus coyotes are always a good thing. Even if you just winged him, the other yotes will run him down and eat him (yes, have a strong dislike of them).
No doubt, Tom. We don’t like it but it goes with the territory, eh?

I hate coyotes.

Last edited:
That was a good story Ed. Way to go. Man that gets me fired up! It sure is tough early with all the leaves out. If you don’t get them one day, you go back another day. It’s all good.

I hope you got a ball in that yote. I have no love for them.
Thank you, sir. It was great to finally be back at it again. Without doubt early season when everything is so thick is about as challenging as it gets. It will test a squirrel hunters patients to the maximum, at least with the style of squirrel hunting I prefer.

This ole boy has learned the hard way that just because you can clearly see a squirrel way up there near the top of a tall tree does not mean you can hit it, even if it’s sitting still.

This is a real sport, now. One like no other.

I hate coyotes.

Last edited:
...if you just winged him, the other yotes will run him down and eat him...

For real!? Dang that's barbaric. Never heard that before... Nasty creatures; a plague on the countryside.

They are a prime contributor to the near extinction of bobwhite quail in large swaths of Alabama. They devour the nests...

Last edited:
For real!? Dang that's barbaric. Never heard that before... Nasty creatures; a plague on the countryside.

They are a prime contributor of the near extinction of bobwhite quail in large swaths of Alabama. They devour the nests...
Yep. If you draw blood on them jokers, the others will kill and eat them. "Dog eat dog". Literally.

Not so sure I even hit that coyote yesterday now. Neighbor lady down the road away texted my wife to ask her if we have been seeing that big gray fox that's been hanging around lately. :)

I forwarded the trail cam pic to my wife and asked her to forward it to the neighbor lady and inform her that its a coyote, not a gray fox. Also, they eat domestic animals such as smaller dogs and cats and everything else they can kill. Wife also told her that I shot at it this morning but not sure if I hit it.

The reply was, "tell Ed to kill the thing".

That thing has gotta go, if its not already dead.

Well fellas, my luck changed some this morning. Due to the increased number of squirrels cutting on the many hickory trees down below my house, a well as hardly no wind, I decided to go down there this morning and try my luck. As soon as I got down there I noticed the neighborhood 10 point standing looking at me. He’s not very spooky but I still didn’t want to bother him. So, change of plans.

After finding the only tree I could get to without being busted, I stood there for at least 45 minutes waiting and watching. I cannot tell you how many times I pulled back the hammer thinking this time will work, only to be disappointed again. Those darn squirrels just will not remain still for more than a few seconds.

By now the breeze was picking up but not too terribly bad. Just enough to make it more difficult at times. As I stood there waiting and waiting for another shot, something caught my eye off to my right and, for the most part, a pretty steep angle. There were two more squirrels up in yet another hickory tree nearly above me. Then the two started chasing each other. Up, down, around the tree they went. It was at this time that ole ETipp got busted. Those darn squirrels came down so close to me that as I was trying to get a bead on one of them, they noticed me. That’s all it took for the music to begin. Squirrels started barking all around me. Time to freeze like a statue.

I said to myself, okay ETipp, forget about that one. Can’t dwell on it and you cannot win them all. Time to focus on the game here. Turning back around my eyes went back to that main hickory once again. Same old song and dance. Considering that hickory was uphill from me, and those darn Squirrels were hell bent on staying up high, I was about to give up. I’d been at this since barely daylight and it was now almost noon. Finally, a squirrel decided to make its way down lower to check out some hickory nuts down where the air contained more molecules. I watched him grab a hickory nut, then run down a little lower and stop on a limb just right for my position. Down came number three for the day.

JimK, you know the story. It’s a thousand wonders that little Chum Lee was not eaten by that flee bitten coyote.

I hate coyotes.
Great story Ed!
I agree with Hammer, it was like being there.

I'm glad you had a change luck. Sounds like a very good hunt and an adventure. Nice to hear ya got some squirrels and saw so many.

I don't care for coyotes at all. They are playing hell on our turkeys and the little fawns. I'll will shot them if I see them for sure.

Thanks Ed.

@ETipp as a hunter; "patience"!! Don't know how you do it.

I've had two experiences of lost small game that were easy to explain. A snowshoe that I shot while bowhunting elk and a squirrel while calling coyotes. I left them in place since I'd be coming back the same way. Something, probably a yote, had devoured the rabbit on the spot. The squirrel was in the path of weasel tracks in the snow and was obviously carried off. It's surprising how a weasel can cart away a squirrel that outweighs them. !!

Maybe, Ed, you inadvertently contributed to the circle of life. 🤣

Latest posts

Back