• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went squirrel hunting with my new 20 gauge flintlock fowler for the first time yesterday. (Tennessee opener) I learned a few lessons.

I tried taking a shot that I’ve taken many times with a .22, a near vertical shot which resulted in just a flash in the pan. Whoops. And I also took a 60 yard shot that the squirrel survived unscathed. was I pushing my effective range?

I’m still working on my shot development for squirrel (I got the fowler for turkey but figured I’d try it on squirrel). I was using 60 grains of 3F and about an ounce of shot. Any thoughts on that load?

Last edited:
Man you all are killing me. Virginia season doesn't open this year till Sept 7.
Patience Grasshopper, patience. Hang in there bro. It’s only a couple of weeks away.

This would be a great opportunity to practice your offhand holding. A few months ago I put up a life-size picture of a squirrel on my living room wall and practiced offhand holding. It paid off. In all actuality, it wouldn’t hurt if every squirrel hunter were to practice this at least once a week.

Last edited:
Right now all i have to shoot tree rats with is my .45 Hawken. I am holding off doing any hunting. I have 2 Hickories they are working over. I also have my big 8 pt. that just rubbed the velvet off, he beds by the 1st Hickory tree. I dare not shoot or disturb him, i may never see him again during day light. Crossbow season opens Sept. 15th & i am hoping to slip into my climber for him.
When I was a young feral kid back in Illinois hunting the bottoms, my dad, grandad and brothers taught me when you are in an area with hot trees, after you shoot one, take notice of where it fell, reload and sit still. They'd be back. I'd always want to move around and stalk. My grandad would shoot a limit with a single shot 22 sitting on a canvas folding camp stool. Something to be said about that strategy.

I went squirrel hunting with my new 20 gauge flintlock fowler for the first time yesterday. (Tennessee opener) I learned a few lessons.

I tried taking a shot that I’ve taken many times with a .22, a near vertical shot which resulted in just a flash in the pan. Whoops. And I also took a 60 yard shot that the squirrel survived unscathed. was I pushing my effective range?

I’m still working on my shot development for squirrel (I got the fowler for turkey but figured I’d try it on squirrel). I was using 60 grains of 3F and about an ounce of shot. Any thoughts on that load?
60 yards is pushing way past the limits on most any squirrel tool, IMO.

I have never shot a ML scatter gun but I have shot many squirrels with the other type. I had my best results with 1.5 ounces of number 5 magnum shot that I loaded hotter than hot. IMO, the hotter and the biggest, heavier load the better.

When I was a young feral kid back in Illinois hunting the bottoms, my dad, grandad and brothers taught me when you are in an area with hot trees, after you shoot one, take notice of where it fell, reload and sit still. They'd be back. I'd always want to move around and stalk. My grandad would shoot a limit with a single shot 22 sitting on a canvas folding camp stool. Something to be said about that strategy.
I concur, Tom, 100%

I much prefer to put the sneak on them. However, a good hot tree and remaining stationary can sometimes pay off. It’s always a judgment call to access every situation as it is. It’s all about patience and strategy and I do not always do it correctly.

I find early season to be easy once you find them and IF you can see up through the thick canopy to get a shot. That’s often the most difficult when using a small caliber traditional squirrel rifle.

Patients is critical.

Last edited:
A few months ago I put up a life-size picture of a squirrel on my living room wall and practiced offhand holding
I tried that but the wife had no tolerance for me filling the house up with smoke.

I received something in the mail yesterday that set me off laughing 😃.

From @snakebit This sticker will be getting put on my shooting box. I have a few other ideas for it too. Later on that! 🤣

20240824_203228_copy_800x760.jpg

I tried that but the wife had no tolerance for me filling the house up with smoke.

From @snakebit This sticker will be getting put on my shooting box. I have a few other ideas for it too. Later on that! 🤣

View attachment 344384
That’s awesome!

View attachment 344384
Lol. Tom sent me one too. It’s going on my cupboard door in my shop

I squirrel hunt with a .60 caliber flintlock smooth bore and 25 yards is about as far as I will shoot using a square load of ~65 grains 3f and ~65 grains #6 shot. Inside 30 yards I’ve never lost one.

Latest posts

Back