• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ed, just noticed that time. Are you using an InstantPot? If so you don't need to run them that long. Big ole tough dry chicken breasts I only run 10 min. But, hey, I can't argue with success if 35 worked.

View attachment 344480
I reckon it’s kind of the same, Stan. IDK for sure. The ole gal just got it and today was the first try out. After she took the squirrels out of the pressure cooker and started frying them, they smelled so good even neighbor nasty that hates me came over for some. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Yep. Humor me and try this:

1. Use your wire trivet, put in squirrels and 1 Cup tap water, sprinkle 1 tsp Tony Chachere's "More Spice" (LINK)
2. Pressure Cook, Pressure High, Temp Set High, Keep Warm Off, Delay Start Off, 10 Minutes, Start.
3. Manual vent when finished

....then fry like you did. I dunno, maybe squirrel is more tough and may need more time, but I doubt it.

Yep. Humor me and try this:

1. Use your wire trivet, put in squirrels and 1 Cup tap water, sprinkle 1 tsp Tony Chachere's "More Spice" (LINK)
2. Pressure Cook, Pressure High, Temp Set High, Keep Warm Off, Delay Start Off, 10 Minutes, Start.
3. Manual vent when finished

....then fry like you did. I dunno, maybe squirrel is more tough and may need more time, but I doubt it.
Thanks. They were plenty tender. Just took a little longer to fry up than she thought.

Never tried or own an instapot. I use a pressure pot. Put in just enough water to cover the squirrel pieces. Let the hula dancer on top jiggle for about 10-12 minutes. Pullem out, pat dry with paper towels, dip in egg and dredge with flour (I like Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour), then fry them jokers in oil or shortening. Then chow down like a hungry heathen.

I reckon it’s kind of the same, Stan. IDK for sure. The ole gal just got it and today was the first try out. After she took the squirrels out of the pressure cooker and started frying them, they smelled so good even neighbor nasty that hates me came over for some. 😁
Neighbors tend to put their superiority complex when you've got some good stuff cooking. Funny how that works.......🤔

Now you’re tracking right. There’s nothing better than squirrel hunting with a small caliber, traditional ML. It is as challenging as it gets and the absolute most rewarding hunting I’ve ever done.

Hunting along a body of water can pay off big time.
I have hunted anything but white tail with the muzzleloader, I can't wait it's going to be a blast.(pun intended)

No pressure, bud. But don’t go home unless you bring back a few squirrels. 😁
Well I recon a few is 3 or more, but I did get 1.

Earlier today I took Henry and the Crockett Rifle and just kinda scoped things out. We sat here and there. We didn't see anything. Very hot and humid, we did get a slight breeze now and then.

I found a couple spots to sit for an early evening hunt. I made a spot under a hickory tree where I could see several big oaks and a 4 or 5 hickories. I figured that they would use the oak trees to get to the hickories.

I was sitting on little folding stool a few minutes after 6. I saw some movement in the top of an oak. I patiently watched for a few minutes and saw some little birds moving around. Convinced myself that's all it was. Then I saw cuttings falling from the top of a hickory. The sun was shining on the leaves and you could see the cuttings raining down. I could not see him. I had some cover from tree I was sitting under using that I made my way the ti left. Now a big oak was between me and where I believe the squirrel was. I made about 10 or 12 yards to the oak. I peeked around and saw him moving, then he started make his way to an oak about 15 yards from where I was standing. I saw him jump.to the oak, thinking to myself, did he see me? He act like it, I lost sight of him and thought d@#& it. So I just chilled a few and then I saw his head in a fork of a good sized branch. I put the sights on him, just about ready to squeeze the trigger. 2 squirrels, one chasing the other straight towards my squirrel, again thinking they busted me. They ran right past him and ran off in the tree tops.

Looked up in the fork and he was still there cutting away. Put the sights at shoulder and chest and pow he came falling down, thud, got him just behind left shoulder and it pretty much took his right leg off.

Patience paid off big time.

Attachments

• 20240825_192010.jpg
    20240825_192010.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Earlier today I took Henry and the Crockett Rifle and just kinda scoped things out. We sat here and there. We didn't see anything. Very hot and humid, we did get a slight breeze now and then.

I found a couple spots to sit for an early evening hunt. I made a spot under a hickory tree where I could see several big oaks and a 4 or 5 hickories. I figured that they would use the oak trees to get to the hickories.

I was sitting on little folding stool a few minutes after 6. I saw some movement in the top of an oak. I patiently watched for a few minutes and saw some little birds moving around. Convinced myself that's all it was. Then I saw cuttings falling from the top of a hickory. The sun was shining on the leaves and you could see the cuttings raining down. I could not see him. I had some cover from tree I was sitting under using that I made my way the ti left. Now a big oak was between me and where I believe the squirrel was. I made about 10 or 12 yards to the oak. I peeked around and saw him moving, then he started make his way to an oak about 15 yards from where I was standing. I saw him jump.to the oak, thinking to myself, did he see me? He act like it, I lost sight of him and thought d@#& it. So I just chilled a few and then I saw his head in a fork of a good sized branch. I put the sights on him, just about ready to squeeze the trigger. 2 squirrels, one chasing the other straight towards my squirrel, again thinking they busted me. They ran right past him and ran off in the tree tops.

Looked up in the fork and he was still there cutting away. Put the sights at shoulder and chest and pow he came falling down, thud, got him just behind left shoulder and it pretty much took his right leg off.

Heck yeah brother Fred! Chicken of The Tree is on the menu!

Henry, wouldn't guve me the squirrel, he took it to the back door, this is the first time my little buddy didn't just drop it in front of me. I think he wanted to show it to "Mommie."My wife came out and praised him, plus gave him a treat.

The squirrels are cutting on acorns also. Seen a few on the ground all gnawed up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_211249_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_211249_Gallery.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240825_212453_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_212453_Gallery.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240825_212446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_212446_Gallery.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 0
Agree 100%
My Brother from another Mother!
I'd give up most of my worldly possessesions to go back for one day to that big farmhouse kitchen. Platters of fried squirrel, cast iron skillets of corn bread, huge red matters sliced up, green onions, biscuits and wild honey, pipe smoke. 15, 20 people talking. When the grub hit the table, it got as quiet as midnight.

Something to consider.

PATIENCE!!!
Much easier said than done sometimes in a game that I certainly do not always win. It reminds me of an old cartoon funny of two emaciated vultures sitting on a limb where one says “patience hell, I’m going out and kill something”.
I'm usually quoting that old vulture.

Not today!

I'd give up most of my worldly possessesions to go back for one day to that big farmhouse kitchen. Platters of fried squirrel, cast iron skillets of corn bread, huge red matters sliced up, green onions, biscuits and wild honey, pipe smoke. 15, 20 people talking. When the grub hit the table, it got as quiet as midnight.
That's what made what we are today.
Fortunately we can relive them days from yesteryear.

Shortly after I moved down here, I was reading the for rent adds in the newspapers.
I had to ask someone what they ment by an eat in kitchen. They laughed at me and said it's a kitchen you can eat in. I said what the hell, I never lived anywhere that didn't have an eat in kitchen. Never knew there was such a thing.

Big Ole Farmhouse. 👍

Congrats, bro. Sounds like you did everything right. I’m happy for you.

Was that a young squirrel or is that the normal size in Florida?

Henry is quite the dude.

Last edited:
Back