• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May try my wife's Instant Pot to tenderize 'em before frying next time... Whaddya think?
I use a small pressure cooker on the old tough ones. About 10 minutes then dredge and fry. Fork tender. Never used a insta pot. Me thinks you should run some experiments and let us know.

No doubt you are on the right track. Kudos to you for trying to keep our youths interested in good things instead of the trash and evilness that’s so prevalent in our world today.

In terms of that movie, as many times that I’ve seen it, I still watch it at least twice every year. Aside from the some of the silly comity of it, it’s a darn good movie.

Only twice a year......Heretic !

Only twice a year......Heretic !
Well there’s a good reason why I only watch that movie twice a year. Ya see, Henry Frapp’s cantankerous attitude has such an influence on me that I pick it up and it sticks with me for a while. Every time that happens, things get real ugly around here and I just about have to find another place to live.

If only it were as easy now as it was back then……trade a horse or a few blankets for a new wife.

Last edited:
Y'all don't eat the brains, do you? Not me - no way Jose. My wife's friend from KY said they ate them all the time growing up; they considered them a delicacy. Doesn't seem like much there but maybe a spoonful.

ETA: Safety issue there with CWD? Hoax? Article: LINK

Last edited:
Y'all don't eat the brains, do you? Not me - no way Jose. My wife's friend from KY said they ate them all the time growing up; they considered them a delicacy. Doesn't seem like much there but maybe a spoonful.

I can't say that I eat squirrel brains, but I remember my Grandpa Chubb cooking them, cracking open the skull with the back of a spoon and eating them.

My grandma used to eat them. When I was a stupid kid I always thought grandad's gun shot low. He shot tons of squirrels in the neck. And dad taught us to take head shots. Glad I never opened my big dumb mouth way back when. I guess grandad was a crack shot. I did watch him bark a squirrel with a S&W model 10 once.

Oh, and a Happy Easter to you and yours Gents!

Wowser. The wife and I made some deer jerky for the first time. Marinated over night in the fridge then put in her new food dryer this morning. Man, some good stuff!

This will be great to take with me when I go squirrel hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Wowser. The wife and I made some deer jerky for the first time. Marinated over night in the fridge then put in her new food dryer this morning. Man, some good stuff!

Making jerky always disappointing to me. You trim up and marinate a 5 gallon bucket of meat, and when it's finished, you have a sandwich bag of jerky. 24 hours, and 3 beers later it's all gone.

Vacuum pack a few squirrels and put them in the freezer. After you have quite a few, thaw out, marinate and put in a smoker. Squirrels are flat out awesome that way.
Ed, I’ve never tried smoked squirrel and don’t have a smoker. Are they dried out or tough? I like smoked meat. How do they come out. I’m interested and would get a smoker. I’ve heard wild turkey breast is great smoked too.
I grilled some squirrel one time. Tough as nails. Only did it once. I bought a pressure cooker and 15 minutes in there, debone and add barbecue sauce. Pulled squirrel sandwiches!

The smoked squirrel has me interested!

I am going to do a batch of deer jerky later this week. What is your marinade?

I'm doing a back pack elk hunt with a grandson come September (if I'm still able 🤣) I'm going to be working on a pemmican recipe for that hunt.

Ed, I’ve never tried smoked squirrel and don’t have a smoker. Are they dried out or tough? I like smoked meat. How do they come out. I’m interested and would get a smoker. I’ve heard wild turkey breast is great smoked too.
I grilled some squirrel one time. Tough as nails. Only did it once. I bought a pressure cooker and 15 minutes in there, debone and add barbecue sauce. Pulled squirrel sandwiches!

The smoked squirrel has me interested!
Low and slow on indirect heat. Spritz with apple juice regularly. You can do it on a Webber kettle if you have one of those Jim.

Back