• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this morning I decided to check into finding a .315 RB mold. I was surprised to find there is none to be had. One place, Tanner Molds, makes them but there is no sprue cutting plate. As small as those .32 caliber RB are, I'm not willing to deal with that.

This didn't settle so well with me. I do like the option of casting my own projectiles. Therefore, a little more thought went into this.

I dug into my toy box of supplies and came up with a few more different components to experiment with. Due to needing to switch out the rear blade sight and reinstall my peep sight, that meant I need to shoot some more to verify accuracy. It happened to hit dead on from 25 yards with the peep and .315 RB.

Still not liking the idea of having to purchase .315 RB's, I tried some .310 RB and .020 patches. They were accurate but still too darn tight to deal with. So, I moved on.

I found some old .018" ticking I've had for over 20 years. They were .50 caliber precut OX Yoke, if memory serves me correctly. I cut them down to .32 caliber size, lubed them again with Mink Oil, and tried 20.0 grains of Swiss and a .310 RB. I had to bump the peep up a tad, and I actually went a little too far, but the group wasn't bad. Not great but certainly acceptable. As it is, I almost have to do a 6 O'clock hold but not quite. So, there was a little bit of vertical spread, but understandable. It started raining again so that was the end of shooting for the day. No time left for sight adjustment and more test shooting. I'm hoping to go squirrel hunting in the morning so I'll have to be mindful of a tad lower hold.

I actually think I'm going to squirrel hunt with this combination and see how it goes. At least I have a stock pile of .310 and .311 RB. So, yeah, no need in having to purchase any .315 at this time, which suits me fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
I never worried about how much patches were frayed around the edges after being fired. But I do avoid patches with scorch marks, burns and holes. But if the accuracy is to your liking then I don't see a problem. The only thing to watch for are fliers which can indicate torn patches.
Thanks for posting up, hanshi.

That seems to be the general opinion of many. I'll definitely make a change if the patches have holes burned through them, and have done so. When I first got this ML, .010 patches were blowing apart badly so I went to .015 patches.

So, I'm still not certain about this.

I was having issues with fliers but it turned out to be something else, I think? No more fliers with this last combination and I have acceptable accuracy. However, I cannot rule out patches being suspect of some of the fliers I was getting.

EDIT:

I just came in from out back. I found most of the patches from this morning session. Interesting as it is, the .018" patches have more damage to them than the .020 patches, yet I obtained better accuracy out of the .018. Go figure?

I'll post pics after dinner.

Recovered patches. Note the .018 patches are in worse condition yet provided best accuracy. Same powder and same powder charge. I have no logical explanation for this.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
Hanshi, You're right; I'm very ashamed of myself View attachment 325841

Back on topic of squirrels and rifles, in one of your old posts on another forum [ LINK ] you like 1:48 for .40 for prb's. Still of that opinion? I am CLOSE to buying a barrel to start a new project. Against my better judgement I may go with another swamped one. Maybe one of these 2:

38" .40 [ LINK ]
38" .45 [ LINK ]

Yes, I still like twists of 1-48" for .32, .36 and .40. It changes nothing to go a bit slower, especially with the .40 but I'd be very reluctant going too far either way. As I've mentioned before, as long as the grooves are cut deep enough the actual twist rate becomes less inportant. Once I get to .45s I prefer twists around 1-56" (+ or - a tiny bit) and the .40 should work well there too.

The problem with extremely slow and fast twist rates is that if the twist is too slow you're not going to be satisfied with the accuracy you get from light loads. Go too fast and and you can get stuck with accurate light loads only. But exceptions exist. My .54 has a 1-66'' twist along with grooves around .006" deep. Yet it will put 5 shots in an inch circle at 50 yards.

Unless I wanted a dedicated target rifle I wouldn't have another rifle built without a swamped barrel. A swamped barrel, IMHO, makes a better all around rifle. I have three flintlocks with swamped barrels and two with straight tubes. Groove depth runs from about .016" in radius groove bores to about .010" to .012" for the square cut rifling.

Thanks for posting up, hanshi.

That seems to be the general opinion of many. I'll definitely make a change if the patches have holes burned through them, and have done so. When I first got this ML, .010 patches were blowing apart badly so I went to .015 patches.

So, I'm still not certain about this.

I was having issues with fliers but it turned out to be something else. No more fliers with this combination.

I'm a little jealous having let my Crockett leave several years ago. But I did shoot and hunt with that little tack driver for many years. Can't recall too much about the load but I do remember using a .311" ball and 30 grns of 3F. No photos but have the targets around somewhere that I shot with the Crockett and one I remember was 1-1/16" for 5 shots at 44 yards IIRC. It was off a bench.

It eventually was replaced with a flintlock SMR which is accurate but is just finnicky.
DSC00449.jpg

So this morning I decided to check into finding a .315 RB mold. I was surprised to find there is none to be had. One place, Tanner Molds, makes them but there is no sprue cutting plate. As small as those .32 caliber RB are, I'm not willing to deal with that.

This didn't settle so well with me. I do like the option of casting my own projectiles. Therefore, a little more thought went into this.

I dug into my toy box of supplies and came up with a few more different components to experiment with. Due to needing to switch out the rear blade sight and reinstall my peep sight, that meant I need to shoot some more to verify accuracy. It happened to hit dead on from 25 yards with the peep and .315 RB.

Still not liking the idea of having to purchase .315 RB's, I tried some .310 RB and .020 patches. They were accurate but still too darn tight to deal with. So, I moved on.

I found some old .018" ticking I've had for over 20 years. They were .50 caliber precut OX Yoke, if memory serves me correctly. I cut them down to .32 caliber size, lubed them again with Mink Oil, and tried 20.0 grains of Swiss and a .310 RB. I had to bump the peep up a tad, and I actually went a little too far, but the group wasn't bad. Not great but certainly acceptable. As it is, I almost have to do a 6 O'clock hold but not quite. So, there was a little bit of vertical spread, but understandable. It started raining again so that was the end of shooting for the day. No time left for sight adjustment and more test shooting. I'm hoping to go squirrel hunting in the morning so I'll have to be mindful of a tad lower hold.

I actually think I'm going to squirrel hunt with this combination and see how it goes. At least I have a stock pile of .310 and .311 RB. So, yeah, no need in having to purchase any .315 at this time, which suits me fine.
Very good shooting! If I can get my .36 to group like that I’ll be happy to have frayed patches!

Ed, I have frayed patches too. I posted about it a number of years ago. Zonie reassured me it was fine. I don’t remember exactly what he said caused it. After his reassurance, I forgot about it.

My Crockett I’m shooting .311 ball, .020 ticking and 20 gns schuetzen.
That's good to know, Jim.

Maybe we should start "The frayed patch squirrel hunters club".

I'm a little jealous having let my Crockett leave several years ago. But I did shoot and hunt with that little tack driver for many years. Can't recall too much about the load but I do remember using a .311" ball and 30 grns of 3F. No photos but have the targets around somewhere that I shot with the Crockett and one I remember was 1-1/16" for 5 shots at 44 yards IIRC. It was off a bench.

It eventually was replaced with a flintlock SMR which is accurate but is just finnicky.
DSC00449.jpg
Awesome shooting there.

Now for the latest, in terms of squirrel rifles.

A couple of days ago, after texting and informing my wonderful wife that I'm very serious about a SMR purchase, she replied by stating that she's going to "list me on Market Place to try to get rid of me". I mean, not even one of those "back to the camper with you, Ed" this time.

The nerve of that old nag!

In the meantime, I'm still saving up all the "fun tickets" I can get. :)
Don’t tell her Ed. I always figure my wife’s happier not knowing. I’m just looking out for her happiness 🤣

I meant to include the picture but overlooked it because I was being summoned by the better half. So, here it is.

326218-6eba5d8ffccbb3d55d79c1891c5d03f0_copy_360x481.jpg

There are frayed patches where the damage is confined to the edges. Thats entirely normal. It will only effect the performance of the patching if the patch is too small and the fraying makes it's way to the point where the circumference of the ball is riding the bore. Slightly oversized patches don't have that problem.

When the patch is large enough and edge fraying doesn't reach the ball bore contact point and that point is frayed, has holes in it or appears to have burned then it's caused by damage upon starting the ball, a very poor quality of patching, a loose fitting patch ball combo, or sharpness or roughness of the bore.

Patches that appear to be burned through are actually cut or damaged allowing them to be burned. While the whole sequence of ignition and passage down the bore involves very high temperatures it all happens to fast for the heat and flames to be the cause. I have shot spit patch loads and immediately picked up the patch to find it intact and wet and cold.

Here are two fired patches that are in the condition you want to see. I have more pictures but they are scattered all over my computer. They look the same regardless of powder charge.

20231230_115553_copy_460x250.jpg

I meant to include the picture but overlooked it because I was being summoned by the better half. So, here it is.

View attachment 326237

There are frayed patches where the damage is confined to the edges. Thats entirely normal. It will only effect the performance of the patching if the patch is too small and the fraying makes it's way to the point where the circumference of the ball is riding the bore. Slightly oversized patches don't have that problem.

When the patch is large enough and edge fraying doesn't reach the ball bore contact point and that point is frayed, has holes in it or appears to have burned then it's caused by damage upon starting the ball, a very poor quality of patching, a loose fitting patch ball combo, or sharpness or roughness of the bore.

Patches that appear to be burned through are actually cut or damaged allowing them to be burned. While the whole sequence of ignition and passage down the bore involves very high temperatures it all happens to fast for the heat and flames to be the cause. I have shot spit patch loads and immediately picked up the patch to find it intact and wet and cold.

Here are two fired patches that are in the condition you want to see. I have more pictures but they are scattered all over my computer. They look the same regardless of powder charge.

View attachment 326386
Thank you for the information, Cruiser.

Fred and I were discussing this yesterday evening and that was part of our suspicions. I cut those patches round and perhaps a bit small. They are not strips nor cut at the muzzle.

In terms of the last patches I posted; those were old, packaged, prelubed patches I had from 20 years ago. They are the blue ticking. I have some red ticking in bulk of the same thickness that I already cut and lubed yesterday. After I try those, then I'm going to try strips instead of round just to see if there are any difference in recovered patch condition. However, the accuracy is there as is.

Dang it Ed! You are going to drive me to drinking (more). You got me worried my Crockett is going to give me fits! I was planning on getting my boat seaworthy today, but I may have to postpone that and drag my butt to the range.

Latest posts

Back