• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After completing the coning of the barrel, the day was about gone, so I waited until this morning to get on this.

Woke up early and began making a list of all the possible combinations that I might have to use.
IMG_2222.jpeg

Then it was time to get after this issue. I waited until it got daylight enough to see fairly well, loaded up and went outside. I began with the .315 RB and .020 ticking thinking it would load fairly easy after coning the barrel, but that was not to be. As soon as the patch/ball hit where the coning stopped, it was still very difficult to get it moving past that point. It did, however, go the first few inches easy.

I decided that since I don’t shoot squirrels from a bench, as well as I’ve had problems trying to shoot this squirrel rifle from a bench, that I should test shoot the same way as I hunt. So, I put the first target up on one of the only two suitable trees out back of my house. All I could get for distance was 18 yards from the tree I was getting a rest from.

Groups were fairly acceptable but the combination was just too difficult to load. No way am I going to try that in the woods. Also, the sun was coming up about 20 degrees from straight on. Between those two issues, as well as some world class shoddy shooting (reads I was shaking like a dog trying to pass a peach seed) I decided that was no way to properly test shoot. There had to be a better way.

Continued.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So, I cleaned off the outside table, gathered up all my do-dads and gave it a try that way from 25 yards. After several different combinations, none to my liking, I finally hit pay dirt. Didn’t take long to figure out that the blade type rear sight I installed as a diagnostic measure is a bit short. This caused a little frustration so I had to aim high and try to establish a pattern. Basically speaking, it was necessary to cover up the entire aiming square elevation wise. So again, more variables especially considering the white end bead against white paper.

At one point, after moving to the table under the edge of some tall, thick oaks, I had to stop shooting for abut 15 minutes due to the location of the sun. So, I decided to take that opportunity to retrieve some shot patches to examine. With the exception of perhaps 1 or 2, they all were in good condition. However, I do find it interesting that the patch at lower left was caked with fouling. I’ve never seen this before and can only speculate as to the cause of such.

To shorten this up, Mr. “C” seems to like

.315 RB, .015 ticking and 20.0 grains of Swiss.

Minute of squirrel head.

Continued

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Conclusion:

*Most likely the crown was okay and the coning is great to have.

*Last season I was using .310 RB, .015 ticking and .20 grains of GOEX.

*This year, after being about out of GOEX, I ordered some Swiss. I was able to determine that if I'm going to be shooting Swiss, a larger RB and .20 grains is what gives me minute of squirrel head. Still using .015 patches lubed with TOTW Mink Oil.

*This combination loads firm but not too difficult in this particular Squirrel rifle. I ran a couple of damp patch’s with Windex on them down the bore after each shot followed by a couple of dry patches.

*Best I can count is I shot 30 times. When I went to clean the rifle at the end of the day, I was surprised the water came out so clean. There’s a definite difference in fouling between GOEX and SWISS.

I shot for 5 1/2 hours.

Now I need to order some more .315RB and remove that blade sight and reinstall my peep. Then I’m ready to get after some bushy tails again.

Many thanks to Jim K, Gum Slough Muzzleloader (Fred) Snakebit (Tom) and Yellowhammer (Stan) for all the suggestions in figuring out that conundrum.

The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps Mr. “C” got a little worn and broken in so an adjustment in recipe was in order. Understandable actually. I mean I’m a tad worn and broken in so I need a little adjustment every now and then. 😁

Last edited:
I’m glad you got it figured out Ed. Those .315’s I used in the Cherokee I had. I used .010 patches with them. I dont remember if I tried them in the Crockett.
Well they certainly helped this ole boy out.

I thank you again. I’d probably still be chasing my tail had you not been so kind as to send me both of those. The .315’s are the magic pill I’ve been searching for. Just had to find the correct combination.

Last edited:
Now for the latest, in terms of squirrel rifles.

A couple of days ago, after texting and informing my wonderful wife that I'm very serious about a SMR purchase, she replied by stating that she's going to "list me on Market Place to try to get rid of me". I mean, not even one of those "back to the camper with you, Ed" this time.

The nerve of that old nag!

In the meantime, I'm still saving up all the "fun tickets" I can get. :)

Last edited:
Now for the latest, in terms of squirrel rifles.

A couple of days ago, after texting and informing my wonderful wife that I'm very serious about a SMR purchase, she replied by stating that she's going to "list me on Market Place to try to get rid of me". I mean, not even one of those "back to the camper with you, Ed" this time.

The nerve of that old nag!

In the meantime, I'm still saving up all the "fun tickets" I can get. :)
How much $ do you recon she'll get for ya Ed

How much $ do you recon she'll get for ya Ed
I don't know but I informed her that considering I'm 7 years her senior, that I would sue the heck out of her for elderly abuse if she tried to sell me on Market Place. That ought to pay for a new SMR. :)

Last edited:
Ok, I hesitated three times to post this but in the end I'm doing it. After all, I am "The Devil's Disciple".

Looking at the picture below, those patches don't look good. Not just the two shredded ones but some of the others as well.

I think you have a bore condition going on. :(
Could be but is seems to be shooting good now. Its been doing that from day one. Some of my other ML's has frayed the edges of patches as well with good accuracy. I've read different opinions on frayed edges with the patches not blown apart. So, I'm not sure what to believe on this.

What would be doing this other than perhaps sharp places in the riflings? It does not cut cleaning patches. What kind of bore conditions are you referring to?

It looks like the two patches that are blown apart are actually two pieces of the same patch.

Also, why would you hesitate to post something that might help someone? I have thick skin, bro. :)

Last edited:
Could be but is seems to be shooting good now. Its been doing that from day one. Some of my other ML's has frayed the edges of patches as well with good accuracy. I've read different opinions on frayed edges with the patches not blown apart. So, I'm not sure what to believe on this.

What would be doing this other than perhaps sharp places in the riflings? It does not cut cleaning patches. What kind of bore conditions are you referring to?

It looks like the two patches that are blown apart are actually two pieces of the same patch.

I never worried about how much patches were frayed around the edges after being fired. But I do avoid patches with scorch marks, burns and holes. But if the accuracy is to your liking then I don't see a problem. The only thing to watch for are fliers which can indicate torn patches.

Back