• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lay off the Wild Turkey fo bu, bu, bu, ....!!!!! That's as shameful as...uh...well, criticizing the Easter Bunny! :dunno:

Hanshi, You're right; I'm very ashamed of myself
sorry.jpg

Back on topic of squirrels and rifles, in one of your old posts on another forum [ LINK ] you like 1:48 for .40 for prb's. Still of that opinion? I am CLOSE to buying a barrel to start a new project. Against my better judgement I may go with another swamped one. Maybe one of these 2:

38" .40 [ LINK ]
38" .45 [ LINK ]

Last edited:
Well fella’s, I finally figured out the accuracy issue with my squirrel rifle. Shot for over 5 hours today going through the process of elimination. Feeling much better about this now and I’m hoping to get back to chasing bushy tails come Monday. Only two weeks remaining of spring squirrel season here so I best get after it.

I’m a bit too worn out to go over it right now but I hope to do a write up this evening or in the morning. It is interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608_180422_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240608_180422_Gallery.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 0
Well flip. Can’t sleep so I figured I might as well fill y’all in on the latest with my Crockett squirrel rifle issue. As I have said, I’ve noticed a drop in accuracy this year. Too many fliers. Actually, I noticed it last December prior to the early end of my season. The decline wasn’t nearly as bad as it has been this spring, but it was still noticeable during squirrel hunting. I was missing way more squirrels than usual. When season opened in May, things went downhill even more. It became so bad that between the weather and missing so many squirrels, I stopped squirrel hunting until I could figure this out. I had tried quite a few different things to correct this but to no avail. Also, I had the opportunity to go over this with Gum Slough Muzzleloader (Fred), Snakebit (Tom), as well as Yellowhammer (Stan). All three came up with some valid points.

Last week I had thought that perhaps the crown was damaged or Mr. “C” had a bent barrel. Chatting with Jim K on here he was kind enough to send me some extra .315 RB and .020 ticking to try. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as .315 RB.

I thought I’d start this off with the tightest patch/ball combination as possible to eliminate possibilities and proceed from there. So, I tried a .315 and .020 ticking combination at first but found it was simply too tight for the barrel. So, my good friend Jim K offered to let me borrow a .32 caliber coning tool. I had figured that would also take care of any crown issues at the same time.

Due to being on this darn phone, I’ll have to post this on multiple pages.

Continued on next page.
IMG_2221.jpeg

Last edited:
Back