• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pleasure buddy👍. When you said you had never seen or used a call, I knew I had an extra one and could remedy that. Just don't drive Mama crazy making calls or she might take a road trip and punch me in the nose🤣 I drive every body crazy with turkey calls in the spring.
Snakebit, that's real nice of you.
I know ETipp will not only cherish that little Squirrel Call, but he'll use it too..
Take Care Stay Safe

Snakebit, that's real nice of you.
I know ETipp will not only cherish that little Squirrel Call, but he'll use it too..
Take Care Stay Safe
Was glad to do it Gum. Ed was one of the first few guys on here that didn't treat me like I had the plague 🤣 and a little post op motivation never hurts neither.

Just found this thread and I'm an avid squirrel hunter, with this year being my first with my Kibler SMR .32. Season opens up here Sept 15. I was out at first light and promptly missed a black squirrel at about 20 yards, then ended up getting my cleaning jag stuck in the barrel and called it a day. I took it out a few more times and did shoot one off the side of a tree but it got in a hole before I could get to it. Other than that the canopy was just too thick. My last couple hunts before bow season opened up on Oct 1st I took the shotgun because I actually needed a few for a recipe I wanted to try. Throughout bow season and then gun season I seen a ton limb shakers (the areas I hunt have Grey, Black, Fox and Red) and had a plan to get after them once gun season ended Jan 1st. I've been out a couple times and had success hunting behind my buddies blackmouth curr but that was with a rimfire .22 and .17 hmr. My buddy and I have a plan to get into a couple squirrel tournaments in the next few weeks. Not sure if I will take the Kibler as we cover 10+ miles a day and it's a pain to lug that thing compared to my .17. I do go out and sit and may take the Kibler but this time of year there is just no cover and my shots are often 60 yds or more. Season goes until March 31st so I've got plenty of time to try and get my first one with the .32 but more and more I've been thinking about getting a trade gun as the best squirrel movement here is when there's still a thick canopy on the trees and they're up there cutting.
Welcome to the addiction, UT.

Congrats on owning a .32 Kibler. Must be nice for sure.

You are partially correct about hunting during early season, in terms of it being thick. However, it is not too thick to kill squirrels. Our forefathers proved this. It can still be done, just takes more time to get a shot. Waiting up to an hour is not uncommon. So it does require lots of patience. But you can do it, especially with such an awesome muzzleloader such as your Kibler. If you can hit squirrel size targets at 50 yards, you certainly have the initial accuracy part down.

What you have experienced is not uncommon. Many muzzleloader fans post the same thing as what you have experienced when it comes to crunch time. But it can be done and you can do it.

As I have posted many times, this is no easy thing to do. It’s truly a game of “aim small, miss small,” a game of woodsman ship, marksman ship, hunting skills, and especially patience with a little bit of luck thrown in on top.

The way I see it is, it’s a matter of how much do you want it and are you willing to pay the price to make it happen. IMO, the more difficult it is, the sweeter the victory.

It is definitely true that if one is out to harvest a mess of squirrels, in a hurry, an unmentionable type of firearm is best. But if one wants to do it the old fashioned way, as our forefathers did, then it is a different game.

You can do this, bro. Ya just got to have patience and wait for a good, closer up shot, as well as use a good, solid rest. Personally, most of my best hunts was done when the trees were in full thick mode. In fact, I consider the thickness to be more of an asset than a disadvantage. It allows one to sneak into position more easy without being seen. This has proven to be a huge advantage here in the thick woods/mountains of Kentucky. Just gotta move slow.

One thing is for sure, squirrel hunting with a small caliber traditional muzzleloader is simply different than pounding targets at the range. I would wager to say that many others on here will concur with that. This game can put the best of Hunter through the test. It's no game for sissies.

You can do it regardless of the season. The rewards are certainly there. Each season presents its own unique challenge in the squirrel woods.

Good luck to you on your future hunts and again, glad to have you aboard on the squirrel hunting thread. We look forward to your future posts.

Last edited:
Well guys, went yesterday.
A chilly, winding, and cloudy.
was in the woods by 7:00 around 8 seen one squirrel about 40+ yards out, way up in tops of trees moving quickly.
was hunting public lands, usually not so bad during mid to late small game season.
But!!! This Saturday they had a scavenger hunt and I was invaded by a whole lot of folks.... left there went to a different spot and did not see any squirrels....
So my quest with a Patched Round Ball will continue...
Til next time..
Take Care Stay Safe
Gum.

was in the woods by 7:00 around 8 seen one squirrel about 40+ yards out, way up in tops of trees moving quickly.
was hunting public lands, usually not so bad during mid to late small game season.
But!!! This Saturday they had a scavenger hunt and I was invaded by a whole lot of folks.... left there went to a different spot and did not see any squirrels....
Til next time..
Take Care Stay Safe
Gum.
Well Fred, you gave it a try anyway. Kudos for that.

I'm convinced it will happen for you. You certainly have the resolve to do so.

I won't be going out for a while. Between the weather and coming down with a bug, I'm not going anywhere.

When I do, I will be using my Kibler SMR in 40 caliber. There's a picture of it and my squirrel hunting buddy in the dog thread.

Sorry you're sick. No shortage of that this year in many locations. Hang tough. Might want to take plenty of vitamins and eat lots of deer meat if you have any.

Til next time..
Take Care Stay Safe
Gum.
There are no bad days in the woods Gum, just some better than others. Tough this time of year, no matter where you are trekking. I plan on going out after the Flintlock season is over. Going to pack my small thermos and some tracks and cover a bunch of ground. Will be looking for turkey sign too. Gale force winds and cold here today. I have chainsaw work waiting for me. Hopefully you have more opportunities to get out again.

There are no bad days in the woods Gum, just some better than others. Tough this time of year, no matter where you are trekking. I plan on going out after the Flintlock season is over. Going to pack my small thermos and some tracks and cover a bunch of ground. Will be looking for turkey sign too. Gale force winds and cold here today. I have chainsaw work waiting for me. Hopefully you have more opportunities to get out again.
You got that right, snake. Out of all the different squirrel seasons here in KY, I found winter to be the the most difficult. Followed by early spring hunt middle of May. Things didn't pick back up until middle of June, just prior to the closing of spring season.

You got that right, snake. Out of all the different squirrel seasons here in KY, I found winter to be the the most difficult. Followed by early spring hunt middle of May. Things didn't pick back up until middle of June, just prior to the closing of spring season.
Season here closes the end of February, so Im going to take advantage of it. Even if I'm just an armed hiker 🤣. I was in a panic I was getting my gear ready and realized I was down to only 3 .311 balls! I would have bet my favorite pocket knife I had a full unopened box. Well, I didn't. Ordered some from Scheels. I usually carry them in a Weasel Skin when I'm hunting. Went to grab it and only 3. It takes me 3-5 kill one squirrel 🤣

I won't be going out for a while. Between the weather and coming down with a bug, I'm not going anywhere.

When I do, I will be using my Kibler SMR in 40 caliber. There's a picture of it and my squirrel hunting buddy in the dog thread.
Pilot, the weather will run its course no doubt.
Hope you get over whatever that bug without much effect from it.

I have seen that photo, its great..
Take Care Stay Safe.
Thanks

Well Fred, you gave it a try anyway. Kudos for that.

I'm convinced it will happen for you. You certainly have the resolve to do so.
Ed, it will happen that's for sure.
I have to the first Sunday in March...
Should have the next few weekends off, as long as weather permits I'll be out there....
Thanks Ed.

Snake you 100% right about no bad days in the woods... I enjoy myself ever time,,, kill or no kill...
Good luck trekking and Turkey Signs..
Hope chain saw work is more fun than work.
I should by all rights have more opportunities in the woods before season ends...
Thanks
Take Care Stay Safe
Gum

Had a plan to go today but -2f and snowing pretty good. I don't mind the weather so much as the mountain driving in ongoing snow conditions. Even that doesn't bother me but there's always other drivers who do stupid things and often end up shutting the roads down for hours.

Last day of Abert's squirrel season. I'm a little bummed 😞

Had a plan to go today but -2f and snowing pretty good. I don't mind the weather so much as the mountain driving in ongoing snow conditions. Even that doesn't bother me but there's always other drivers who do stupid things and often end up shutting the roads down for hours.

Last day of Abert's squirrel season. I'm a little bummed 😞
Do you not hunt snowshoe rabbits?

Well, due to the weather, I haven’t seen a squirrel in two days. I keep a pretty close watch on this den tee out my back door and the little fella has been holed up pretty tight.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Well, due to the weather, I haven’t seen a squirrel in two days. I keep a pretty close watch on this den tee out my back door and the little fella has been holed up pretty tight.
Can't say that I blame them last few days. Can't put on enough clothes. That wind cuts through everything. I'm staying denned up too🤣

Do you not hunt snowshoe rabbits?

Yes, as well as cottontails, Jack's and of course the little pineys.

Many eschew Jack's and even snowshoes as poor eating but that hasn't been our experience. My very first "rabbit" kill was a snowshoe with my solid glass bow and a "kid" arrow that I'd fixed up with one of dad's broadheads. He was so proud he made a near ceremonial meal out of it.

Can't say that I blame them last few days. Can't put on enough clothes. That wind cuts through everything. I'm staying denned up too🤣
No doubt.

Ya know, a few days ago I watched a different squirrel climb up to the top of his den tree, above the den, and up to the very top to a dray. He was clearly carrying something in his mouth that looked to be about the size of a walnut. He carried it in there and I got busy doing other things so I did not see him come back out. So, to me this shows he either stayed up in the dray and ate the walnut or stashed it and came back down while I wasn't watching. I didn't think squirrels would still be packing nuts to stash this late in the year. There was some bad weather on the way so perhaps that had something to do with it.

I'm forever watching those little fellas trying to figure them out.

Back