• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay fellas, another concern done away with. So, a couple of weeks ago I purchased another Crockett squirrel rifle. I like them so much that I wanted extra parts in case something broke on ole Mr. C, my trusty and first Crockett. I couldn’t stand the thoughts that if something were to break, or if I did something stupid like bulge the barrel, that I’d be without my .32 caliber squirrel rifle during prime time. So, I was lucky enough to find an advertised “as new in the box” Crockett for a reasonable price. Not exactly as advertised but it’s still worth what I paid for it. A couple of parts from Traditions and it looks much better. Also, it came with a brass ramrod that I found to be a little oversized for both of my.32 caliber cleaning jags. This leaves a definite large and sharp protruding edge that can damage the bore, especially at the muzzle. I’m thinking a little sanding down while it’s chucked in a drill might do the trick.

Today, I was finally able to test this thing out. Mind you that this is still a factory outfitted rifle. I had big time issues seeing the sights well on my first Crockett so I installed a peep and a taller front bead. That made all the difference in the world. This one is no different, seeing the sights well enough to shoot accurately was a problem.

However, all I was out to do was to test this new squirrel rifle for functionality and for the best I could do with my bad vision and the crude sights. Now this might not look great to you all, and it’s really not IF one can see the sights well. However, it showed me what I was wanting to know. This new squirrel tool is accurate from 25 yards. Considering the end sight was blurry, I knew when things were right. The first two lower shots left and right was when the sight picture was not good at all. So, I figured things out on the last 3 shots. About a one inch group. I’ll take that as is considering the blurry sight picture.

Im satisfied the rifle is plenty accurate for squirrel hunting. I wanted to make sure of this before I purchased a peep and better front bead. Getting ready to order both of which. I’m confident that will pull things together nicely.

This is a big relief off of my shoulders and I’m a happy ETipp.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just went outside to try to recover some patches from yesterday’s testing of my new Crockett. The grass has gotten kind of tall for doing such but I was able to find 2 of them. They are not blown/burned through, so that’s a good thing. However, it appears as if they have maybe been cut a little. They seem to start down the muzzle tighter than my other Crockett. Definitely took some fairly hard pops of the hand to get them started. So, I’m thinking perhaps that’s when or how they were cut some. The piece at the top strongly suggests this. It is definitely a piece from around the edge of a patch. If it’s just at the muzzle, then that would be best. Coning will resolve that.

With that said, It is possible this new Crockett might do okay with a thinner patch but I really want to use the exact same load in the both of them if acceptable. My plans are to set them up the same as well, in terms of peep sights and front sight. That way in the event that I needed to, or wanted to, use the new one, everything would be the exact same.

Like Ricky Ricardo used to say “ no scuses, Lucy”.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just went outside to try to recover some patches from yesterday’s testing of my new Crockett. The grass has gotten kind of tall for doing such but I was able to find 2 of them. They are not blown/burned through, so that’s a good thing. However, it appears as if they have maybe been cut a little. They seem to start down the muzzle tighter than my other Crockett. Definitely took some fairly hard pops of the hand to get them started. So, I’m thinking perhaps that’s when or how they were cut some. The piece at the top strongly suggests this. It is definitely a piece from around the edge of a patch. If it’s just at the muzzle, then that would be best. Coning will resolve that.

With that said, It is possible this new Crockett might do okay with a thinner patch but I really want to use the exact same load in the both of them if acceptable. My plans are to set them up the same as well, in terms of peep sights and front sight. That way in the event that I needed to, or wanted to, use the new one, everything would be the exact same.

Like Ricky Ricardo used to say “ no scuses, Lucy”.
Thats, a good name for your new 32.( Lucy ).

The brass ramrod I was referring to the in my earlier post (1,781) was definitely too large of diameter for both of my .32 cleaning jags. There was a definite high ridge between the two. After using my caliper on it, that proved it. I should have caught this but I didn’t before I used it. Took about two patches ran down the bore before I knew something was wrong. By that time the damage had been done. There are several dings in different riflings just in from the end of the muzzle.

However, considering I plan on coning the barrel anyway, it won’t matter. Lesson learned. Won’t be making that mistake again.

So, I chucked the ramrod into my drill, got a few different grits of sandpaper, and went to work. No more high ridge between the ramrod and the cleaning jags. The diameter is now the same between my other brass ramrod I purchased from October Country, as well as the wooden ramrod ends from Track of the Wolf, and my other two jags from Track of the Wolf.

So, it’s all good and I be happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Down to 23 days remaining until fall squirrel season here in KY. It’s time for this ole boy to get out and scout some new places to hunt. I’ve lost my two best hunting grounds.

Lots of places to hunt here, just have to do the leg work to find it. I have a few areas in mind. However, it is tough to do this time of year with as thick as things are now. It’s like a jungle in many locations.

Last edited:
Down to 23 days remaining until fall squirrel season here in KY. It’s time for this ole boy to get out and scout some new places to hunt. I’ve lost my two best hunting grounds.

Lots of places to hunt here, just have to do the leg work to find it. I have a few areas in mind. However, it is tough to do this time of year with as thick as things are now. It’s like a jungle in many locations.
Man that sucks losing your hunting spots. Hopefully not putting in a subdivision or something. There is quite a bit of public hunting land here in PA, quite a bit of competition on it too in deer and turkey season. Squirrel not so bad. And I'm fine with that. 50 days and a wakeup for us PA hunters.

Man that sucks losing your hunting spots. Hopefully not putting in a subdivision or something. There is quite a bit of public hunting land here in PA, quite a bit of competition on it too in deer and turkey season. Squirrel not so bad. And I'm fine with that. 50 days and a wakeup for us PA hunters.
Awe that’s okay, Tom. A country boy can survive. I know how to get way back up in these hills and hollows where no one else will be but the squirrels and other critters. Best part is, no one knows where I’ll be nor what time I be there. I do my best to become invisible out in these mountains.

Awe that’s okay, Tom. A country boy can survive. I know how to get way back up in these hills and hollows where no one else will be but the squirrels and other critters. Best part is, no one knows where I’ll be nor what time I be there. I do my best to become invisible out in these mountains.
It does suck to lose hunting grounds.
We all know you'll find ya spot and disappear amongst the hills hollers!!!

Good luck Ed.

Down to 23 days remaining until fall squirrel season here in KY....
lic.jpg

52 days remaining here in the Heart Of Dixie (did I count that right?).

If I don't get off my sorry tail real soon and get a smaller gun I'm going to be squirrel hunting with a .50 (or a .22 unmentionable gag)...

View attachment 336301

If I don't get off my sorry tail real soon and get a smaller gun I'm going to be squirrel hunting with a .50 (or a .22 unmentionable gag)...
Oh no. Must get small caliber, traditional, squirrel rifle soon. 😁

View attachment 336301

There was a Crockett for sale on here just the other day Hammer.

Back