• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to collect some data on this game.

For the traditional ML squirrel hunters out there, what is your preferred method of hunting.

Spot and stalk?

Sit and hunt?

Still hunt?

Hunt with squirrel dogs?

Just walk through the woods?

Also, what is your preferred type of traditional ML for squirrel hunting?
I like to do a good mixture of everything. I will take opportunistic shots if presented with one . My favorite is to do a sit in a known area (IE camp out where the acorns and such are.) It mainly depends on how the day suits me. Now, if I’m with a buddy, we will walk. An extra pair of eyes never hurts. I will use my squirrel hunts as deer scouting opportunities.

I also like solo treks. It refreshes the soul. At least it does for me. Makes me feel closer in a spiritual sense and I like being in that mindset.

Anthony

Last edited:
That's a good plan on a tree seat. Although I rarely sit, every now and then when the ground is wet I wished I had something to sit or kneel on.

How much powder and what type do you use in your New Englander 12 gauge barrel?
Hello Ed. I use 80 grn. by vol. 2F Schuetzen (what I had open), and 1 1/4 oz lead #6's. With the Skychief load, I can get to most tree tops.

Yeah, the tree seat (3/4 in plywood and rope), comes in handy when you are in a good stand of trees with a target rich environment. just cop a squat, shoot, reload and repeat. Just don't forget where they all fall 😉

I like to do a good mixture of everything. I will take opportunistic shots if presented with one . My favorite is to do a sit in a known area (IE camp out where the acorns and such are.) It mainly depends on how the day suits me. Now, if I’m with a buddy, we will walk. An extra pair of eyes never hurts. I will use my squirrel hunts as deer scouting opportunities.

I also like solo treks. It refreshes the soul. At least it does for me. Makes me feel closer in a spiritual sense and I like being in they mindset.

Anthony
Your last paragraph says it all.

I do a little of both. If I’m in an area I don’t know, I sit for a while and listen. If the place has trails then I’ll walk slooow and watch the treetops.
I use my 62 cal smoothbore almost exclusively now. Once in a while I’ll take my Beck rifle out,
Kevin

I do a little of both. If I’m in an area I don’t know, I sit for a while and listen. If the place has trails then I’ll walk slooow and watch the treetops.
I use my 62 cal smoothbore almost exclusively now. Once in a while I’ll take my Beck rifle out,
Kevin
Good method there, Kevin. Works for me as well.

I also like solo treks. It refreshes the soul. At least it does for me. Makes me feel closer in a spiritual sense and I like being in that mindset.

Anthony
Daytime Smoker, well said.
Thanks or posting.
Take Care Stay Safe.

Yeah, the tree seat (3/4 in plywood and rope),

Sounds like a Torges seat.

I tend to keep moving. We have Fox squirrels here but mostly in my backyard. My neighbors frown upon the discharge of firearms here in the 'burbs.

So, the alternative is the little pine squirrels that are common in the evergreens of the rockies. When they are active they seem very numerous. When not active it can seem like they don't exist. I rarely hunt them alone. It usually involves my grandkids and that can start looking like a military action. 🤣

And yes, the little pine pitch eaters are themselves eaten. Not often by myself though. I always make it clear that my kills are to be dressed and eaten by the kids. Otherwise I'm not inclined to shoot them.

I'll hunt them with any of my ball guns but never shooting up into a tree unless there's a certain ball stopper behind them.

Maybe New Years Day. 😀

Sounds like a Torges seat.

I tend to keep moving. We have Fox squirrels here but mostly in my backyard. My neighbors frown upon the discharge of firearms here in the 'burbs.

So, the alternative is the little pine squirrels that are common in the evergreens of the rockies. When they are active they seem very numerous. When not active it can seem like they don't exist. I rarely hunt them alone. It usually involves my grandkids and that can start looking like a military action. 🤣

And yes, the little pine pitch eaters are themselves eaten. Not often by myself though. I always make it clear that my kills are to be dressed and eaten by the kids. Otherwise I'm not inclined to shoot them.

I'll hunt them with any of my ball guns but never shooting up into a tree unless there's a certain ball stopper behind them.

Maybe New Years Day. 😀
Only saw a few grays when I hunted creek bottoms on BLM land when I was stationed out there. Debone the pineys, saute them up and put them in homemade egg rolls. Little ones would probably break records clearing the platter.

Depends on the woods, how big, how active tge squirrels are, if moving through slowly can also be quiet, etc...
I pulled out the,.32 TC Cherokee To hunt last year in Southern Kentucky. First instance it was taken hunting in decades. Didn't connect with any then but did manage to drop one in September of this season with it while sneaking through the hardwoods. Broke the carbon arrow ramrod that I cobbled together for the Kentucky trip after shooting that squirrel. Been hunting with the. 22lr the few times I went out since.
Slipping through the trees is my favorite way to hunt. Spot and stalk comes in a close second. Not opposed to setting a spell if the conditions are right.
Do my best to make head shots when possible.

Just put together a maple ramrod last week. Will see if the .32 and I can find more action before the season is over.
20230917_191036.jpg

Depends on the woods, how big, how active tge squirrels are, if moving through slowly can also be quiet, etc...
I pulled out the,.32 TC Cherokee To hunt last year in Southern Kentucky. First instance it was taken hunting in decades. Didn't connect with any then but did manage to drop one in September of this season with it while sneaking through the hardwoods. Broke the carbon arrow ramrod that I cobbled together for the Kentucky trip after shooting that squirrel. Been hunting with the. 22lr the few times I went out since.
Slipping through the trees is my favorite way to hunt. Spot and stalk comes in a close second. Not opposed to setting a spell if the conditions are right.
Do my best to make head shots when possible.

Just put together a maple ramrod last week. Will see if the .32 and I can find more action before the season is over.
View attachment 281093
Nice picture Chris.

I like that sling also. I really need order one for my Crockett and my GPR.

I use my 62 cal smoothbore almost exclusively now. Ince in a while I’ll take my Beck rifle out
I usually still hunt with 32 Cherokee, but this year using a flintlock pedersoli frontier bored 54 smooth by Bobby Hoyt

I’m in south central PA. the squirrel population around home was really good this year. I have a favored spot in an adjoining county about 50 miles from home. That’s been a disappointment. There are loads of hickory’s there but not the squirrel population that used to be. I believe I only went out there 4 times this year. The population was better at home.

I’m in south central PA. the squirrel population around home was really good this year. I have a favored spot in an adjoining county about 50 miles from home. That’s been a disappointment. There are loads of hickory’s there but not the squirrel population that used to be. I believe I only went out there 4 times this year. The population was better at home.
Interesting, Jim.

Was that other spot still in South Central PA?

And what do you think may be the cause of the decline?

Last edited:
Yes, one county west of me. I don’t know the cause. There are still squirrels there just not as many as years past. Maybe fishers moved in. I don’t know. I know squirrel numbers are down upstate reports I get. Our state released them and they’ve really flourished. My neighbor got a trail cam picture of one here at my place two years ago. Now they’re asking for input from the public they want to restore pine martens in our state. Just what we need!

Here in CT, it seems that the squirrel population is very low in some areas (SE CT in particular) and good in some of the northern parts of the state. Now that the leaves are gone, and deer season is over, I have been using my .36 flint lock by Kevin Blivens. I like to slow stalk the woods if I see a squirrel, otherwise, I will take a stand for 30 minutes at a time to see what is moving. I also combine my squirrel hunts with predator calling. Lately, I have had more luck on coyotes than squirrels.

Attachments

• CIMG0243.JPG
    CIMG0243.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back