• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the squirrels I did on them were like eating leather. Not no mo.
🤣 Can't say I blame you one bit. I can smoke pretty much anything I want on my Weber Kettles. Once you figure out the venting they are pretty easy. Only downfall to smoking, when people know you are smoking, the "random visitors" seem to increase.

Well there’s a good reason why I only watch that movie twice a year. Ya see, Henry Frapp’s cantankerous attitude has such an influence on me that I pick it up and it sticks with me for a while. Every time that happens, things get real ugly around here and I just about have to find another place to live.

If only it were as easy now as it was back then……trade a horse or a few blankets for a new wife.

Attachments

• Why I scalp people.png
    Why I scalp people.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 0
Y'all don't eat the brains, do you? Not me - no way Jose. My wife's friend from KY said they ate them all the time growing up; they considered them a delicacy. Doesn't seem like much there but maybe a spoonful.

ETA: Safety issue there with CWD? Hoax? Article: LINK

'Y'all don't eat the brains.....Doesn't seem like much there but maybe a spoonful." So kinda like LGBT and Woke Biden supporters, but more colourful with rainbow motives....

Ed, I’ve never tried smoked squirrel and don’t have a smoker. Are they dried out or tough? I like smoked meat. How do they come out. I’m interested and would get a smoker. I’ve heard wild turkey breast is great smoked too.
I grilled some squirrel one time. Tough as nails. Only did it once. I bought a pressure cooker and 15 minutes in there, debone and add barbecue sauce. Pulled squirrel sandwiches!

The smoked squirrel has me interested!
Jim, smoked squirrels are the best I’ve ever had. No doubt about it.

It has been said about smoking any kind of meat is, after the smoke flavor has gotten into the meat, you can take it out of the smoker and finish it in the kitchen oven if you like or are concerned of it out it drying out too much. I do not do this, however.

What I do is, after the smoke flavor has gotten into the meat (or fish) is I reduce the heat a little. Then keep them in there until done. Lower heat and a bit longer.

Considering they are so small, the front legs on squirrels will get done first. No big deal. The back and rear legs get done about the same time.

My marinade I make from Teriyaki BBQ sauce (the thick stuff ) not the thin stuff for cooking. I mix it with water and brown sugar to where it’s a little thin but still somewhat thick. This serves two purposes. It’s great marinade and after placing into the smoker, I brush some on the meat, as well as half way though the smoking process. Allow the meat and marinade to sit covered up in fridge overnight.

I have a sensitive stomach so I avoid pepper, onions and some other spices many folks like. But those can certainly be added into the marinade.

I prefer hickory chips for meat and apple wood for fish.

One thing I have never tried is boiling squirrel meat before placing into the smoker. I do plan on trying one squirrel like that then compare to the other squirrels in the smoker.

Last edited:
'Y'all don't eat the brains.....Doesn't seem like much there but maybe a spoonful." So kinda like LGBT and Woke Biden supporters, but more colourful with rainbow motives....
I remember my dad talking about eating squirrel brains when he grew up.

I haven’t went quite that tribal yet.😁

Last edited:
All I have is a gas grill. I’m interested in getting a smoker though.
Jim, I don’t recommend getting a smoker with a window in the door. They don’t work out very well. My current smoker has a window and a digital thermometer/timer. Neither work out the greatest. The window is impossible to keep clean and the digital thermometer has a long lag time. I’d like to install an analog thermometer on mine.

This time I went the electric route, which is fine. My last smoker was a propane model. That worked out well for out west up in the mountains when I was camping/hunting.

One thing is for certain, I love eating smoked meat when I’m up in the woods or out in my boat fishing for hours on end. Due to the smell, I do not take smoked meat along when big game hunting.

Last edited:
Jim, I don’t recommend getting a smoker with a window in the door. They don’t work out very well. My current smoker has a window and a digital thermometer/timer. Neither work out the greatest. The window is impossible to keep clean and the digital thermometer has a long lag time. I’d like to install an analog thermometer on mine.

This time I went the electric route, which is fine. My last smoker was a propane model. That worked out well for out west up in the mountains when I was camping/hunting.

One thing is for certain, I love eating smoked meat when I’m up in the woods or out in my boat fishing for hours on end. Due to the smell, I do not take smoked meat along when big game hunting.
Im still a charcoal and wood smoking kind of guy. I did think about one of the Masterbuilt charcoal smokers with the electric fan/temp control. As the family gets smaller, can't justify buying one. I'll probably have all 4 going in early May. My daughter is graduating from college and her party menu keeps growing.

Jim, smoked squirrels are the best I’ve ever had. No doubt about it.

It has been said about smoking any kind of meat is, after the smoke flavor has gotten into the meat, you can take it out of the smoker and finish it in the kitchen oven if you like or are concerned of it out it drying out too much. I do not do this, however.

What I do is, after the smoke flavor has gotten into the meat (or fish) is I reduce the heat a little. Then keep them in there until done. Lower heat and a bit longer.

Considering they are so small, the front legs on squirrels will get done first. No big deal. The back and rear legs get done about the same time.

My marinade I make from Teriyaki BBQ sauce (the thick stuff ) not the thin stuff for cooking. I mix it with water and brown sugar to where it’s a little thin but still somewhat thick. This serves two purposes. It’s great marinade and after placing into the smoker, I brush some on the meat, as well as half way though the smoking process. Allow the meat and marinade to sit covered up in fridge overnight.

I have a sensitive stomach so I avoid pepper, onions and some other spices many folks like. But those can certainly be added into the marinade.

I prefer hickory chips for meat and apple wood for fish.

One thing I have never tried is boiling squirrel meat before placing into the smoker. I do plan on trying one squirrel like that then compare to the other squirrels in the smoker.
Thanks for that Ed. Gonna get a smoker. Any recommendations on propane or electric?

Ha. Didn’t read far enough before asking this question. You already answered it. Thank you!
Pretty sure a propane smoker would be easier to maintain a certain temperature, just like a gas stove. I decided to go the electric route this time due to the hassle of propane tanks. Electric is easier for me.

Back