• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we all wait for squirrel season (except Fred), I thought I’d share with you guys my methods and techniques.

I’m a sitter. I move around some but mostly sit. I scout for hickory trees and mark them on Onx as a yellow x. Then as season gets close I will check them for which ones are yielding.

Here is a picture of one of my spots.View attachment 334033I don’t always hunt each tree but whenever I’m in the woods and see a hickory, I mark it.

Most of the hickories I find are pignut or mockernut hickories.

One of my favorite places to hunt has shag bark hickories which they prefer. It’s a 50 mile trip and I don’t make the trip as much as I used to but I’ll be out there a few times this season.
That's cool Jim. I do something similar on Google Maps.

Saturday was the wife's birthday, so we've been have fun since Friday night.

I will be hunting a few days next week. I'm off for a week. Very few honey do's. Hope to post some pictures of the hunt.

They've been out early morning and late afternoon up to the evening time. I've seen them out and about 7:30pm or a little later. I'll do my best to keep the squirrel hunting thread going with squirrel hunts. But I'm sure that we all will come up with something to keep her going.
The squirrels are cutting the hickory nuts down here. Here's a few I found outback today.

Attachments

• 20240714_180015.jpg
    20240714_180015.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
As we all wait for squirrel season (except Fred), I thought I’d share with you guys my methods and techniques.

I’m a sitter. I move around some but mostly sit. I scout for hickory trees and mark them on Onx as a yellow x. Then as season gets close I will check them for which ones are yielding.

Here is a picture of one of my spots.View attachment 334033I don’t always hunt each tree but whenever I’m in the woods and see a hickory, I mark it.

Most of the hickories I find are pignut or mockernut hickories.

One of my favorite places to hunt has shag bark hickories which they prefer. It’s a 50 mile trip and I don’t make the trip as much as I used to but I’ll be out there a few times this season.
This is a great idea.
Great way to utilize Onx 👍

Do you have Pecans down there Fred?
Yes there are some down here, they are far and few in-between I saw more up in the panhandle on some private property when I did a job up there. But yet to have found any on the state lands I hunt. I have found some persimmon. The deer and hog do eat them.

The squirrel hunting method I prefer to use is a bit different than most I would reckon. Depending on each individual location and circumstance, I would estimate that actual sitting time amounts to about 10% of my hunts at most. On many hunts, even those that are hours long, I simply do not sit down at all. I do, however, sometimes like to sneak in close to known den trees before daylight and park facing the den trees. On rare occasions I will sit.

I much prefer to stand next to a somewhat larger tree if available whenever I stop. This provides more flexibility on direction of shots if need be, as well as a steady shooting rest. Always stopping next to a larger tree has the additional advantage of providing concealment. Also, I prefer to cover more ground per hunt, especially when things are a bit slow.

Due to the steep terrain hunted, as well as the longer durations of my hunts, I choose to travel light. Nothing goes along on my hunts that is not absolutely needed. I am adamant on having quiet gear. No electronics and nothing that rattles, shines or squeaks. Unless I’m interested in taking a few pics, my cell phone either stays at home or in my truck.

The name of the game is putting the sneak on squirrels. It’s beating them at their own game and on their turf. Therefore, camo is a must. It is my hopes to soon obtain some durable leafy camo if available.

When I’m on the go, it is preferable to move at a snails pace. This is not always easy and can be very taxing on the body. However, it definitely pays off in several ways.

Never do I squirrel hunt during windy conditions and seldom will I head out on a hunt if it is raining. However, I will remain out on a hunt if rain begins if it’s lighter rain. I have done so for up to 6 hours. Cold, heat, humidity, fog and light rain are all acceptable.

There is more but I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
I envy you guys that don’t have to wear orange. In PA it’s orange hat and vest

Although I have squirrels in spitting distance with orange on and they don’t seem to notice. I just hate wearing it!!
I understand, Jim. I hate having to wear the stuff too.

No doubt I’ve had squirrels within a few feet of me many times while wearing orange during deer season and while I was setting still. I do however, believe that it’s easier for squirrels to pick up movement when someone is wearing hunters orange as opposed to wearing camo.

As silly as it is, hunters orange camo is not legal in KY during any firearms deer season.

Last edited:
Please take your phone with you if hunting alone, if it works where your going it can be turned on if need be. 2nd time I broke my back due to the rest of injury involved, standing without compleat support much less any walking was out of the question. This would NOT have worked out well where I hunt as shock was setting in as soon as I got up, luckily happened at home.

ps plus the noise I was involuntarily making would have had a cat there in no time

I understand, Jim. I hate having to wear the stuff too.

No doubt I’ve had squirrels within a few feet of me many times while wearing orange during deer season and while I was setting still. I do however, believe that it’s easier for squirrels to pick up movement when someone is wearing hunters orange as opposed to wearing camo.

As silly as it is, hunters orange camo is not legal in KY during any firearms deer season.
The PA orange fules can be tricky. I use a blaze camo vest sometimes, sometimes solid orange. The law says 250 sq. Inches on chest, back and head visible for 360 degrees. Game wardens seem to interpret it differently depending on day of the week, and warden you ask. I had one tell my my blaze camo was fine, but the hat had to be solid, a different one said either was ok. Methinks it's an opportunity for them to fine you for revenue. I would definitely rather be invisible though.

@Jim K That pic of the pack seat is the first time I've seen one of those set up. How much does it weigh? For years I've used a Torges seat and with good effect. However not for squirrel hunting but more for deer and elk.

Looks like a comfortable seat. Maybe to double as a camp seat in a back pack hunt if it's not too heavy.

Please take your phone with you if hunting alone, if it works where your going it can be turned on if need be. 2nd time I broke my back due to the rest of injury involved, standing without compleat support much less any walking was out of the question. This would NOT have worked out well where I hunt as shock was setting in as soon as I got up, luckily happened at home.

ps plus the noise I was involuntarily making would have had a cat there in no time
Thanks for the tip. However, there is no cell reception in most of the locations I hunt. I’m not asking to die but if I had my choice, I’d rather it be out in the woods up on the side of a mountain.

I’ve always been a solo hunter and always will be. All the years I lived out west in the big mountains I was alone and had no communication with anyone for days on end while out hunting. I’m very comfortable doing so.

Last edited:
@Jim K That pic of the pack seat is the first time I've seen one of those set up. How much does it weigh? For years I've used a Torges seat and with good effect. However not for squirrel hunting but more for deer and elk.

Looks like a comfortable seat. Maybe to double as a camp seat in a back pack hunt if it's not too heavy.

I took some more pictures of the Waldrop pacseat which is pretty popular with traditional bow hunters that like to hunt on the ground. It can free stand or be leaned up against a tree which is how I use it.

It weighs 5.5 pounds and has shoulder straps and waist belt. It’s a good seat but I like the lowdown seat better. It’s more comfortable and you can swing around a little bit from side to side.

I have one place I hunt where I sit up against a HUGE oak. The lowdown seat does not have a long enough strap for that tree, so I’ll use the Waldrop.

The Waldrop is expensive. I paid over $200 for it. It has changed ownership since I bought mine and I believe lowered the price.
IMG_3733.jpeg
IMG_3734.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. However, there is no cell reception in most of the locations I hunt. I’m not asking to die but if I had my choice, I’d rather it be out in the woods up on the side of a mountain.

I’ve always been a solo hunter and always will be. All the years I lived out west in the big mountains I was alone and had no communication with anyone for days on end while out hunting. I’m very comfortable doing so.
Well, Ed, I'll say that here on the MLF there's a handful... actually two handfuls of members that I seem to be always in agreement with. And, in spirit I'm all on board with you on this.

However, as a matter of practicality I don't act in agreement. I did act in agreement up until 12 years ago when I was 12 miles in in late winter on a snowmobile and ended up with a completely sheared femur. Luckily I was not alone but just the process of getting me out was harrowing in itself. If I had been alone it's doubtful I would have survived.

Previous to that incident my philosophy was identical to yours as regards accepting that possibility of death. The other thing we have in common is solitary hunting. Even if I'm in a camp with others I usually walk out of camp alone and may or may not stay with a stated plan. Also, no cell service is pretty much always the case as you state.

But, we DON'T HAVE TO DIE THERE!! :eek: We can live to die in our beds and have the solitary experience that we desire and also be with our families as long as possible.

I carry this with me on every outing.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-400/

Well, Ed, I'll say that here on the MLF there's a handful... actually two handfuls of members that I seem to be always in agreement with. And, in spirit I'm all on board with you on this.

However, as a matter of practicality I don't act in agreement. I did act in agreement up until 12 years ago when I was 12 miles in in late winter on a snowmobile and ended up with a completely sheared femur. Luckily I was not alone but just the process of getting me out was harrowing in itself. If I had been alone it's doubtful I would have survived.

Previous to that incident my philosophy was identical to yours as regards accepting that possibility of death. The other thing we have in common is solitary hunting. Even if I'm in a camp with others I usually walk out of camp alone and may or may not stay with a stated plan. Also, no cell service is pretty much always the case as you state.

But, we DON'T HAVE TO DIE THERE!! :eek: We can live to die in our beds and have the solitary experience that we desire and also be with our families as long as possible.

I carry this with me on every outing.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-400/
No doubt that can be a good idea for some folks to carry one of those locater beacons. Not arguing that one bit.

I have no issues with wanting to die in bed. Just as long as its not in a nursing home and people having to change my diapers.

Until then, I reckon I'll just keep on doing what I've always done and be fine with checking out alone, up in the mountains, if it happens to work out that way. :)

Heck, who knows. They might find me propped up against a tree with a note around my neck that states "I, ETipp, in sound mind but snake bit body, leave my prize possession..... my beloved Crockett rifle, to whoever finds me. Its a good shooter and kilt the snake that kilt me". Then again, that would mean I'd have to pack a pen and paper (extra weight) so I doubt that would happen. :)

Last edited:
Back